Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
A TSB is not related to warranty. If your alternator grenades outside of warranty, the TSB will have nothing to do with whether Audi covers it or not. There are often dozens of TSB’s and they do not extend the warranty on the subject part. Audi may wind up covering all of these as goodwill or quiet recall, but not because there is a TSB.
That's the movement I'm talking about - that Audi will now cover this repair for those outside of warranty, those whom are explicitly not covered as stated within the TSB. It IS a case of Audi now making it a point to cover outside-of-warranty vehicles. Perhaps I didn't state this clearly above.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Because it is not a safety issue, unfortunately many manufacturers do so and only after years admit to problems in their products.
Sure it is a safety issue when the first "Electrical System Malfunction" message appears and within 20-30 minutes all the systems and engine shut down when you are in the middle of a highway. That's happened to a few on this forum based on the stories they posted.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem
Old 01-16-2023, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Dropped my 2019 Q8 at the dealer this morning for the 70K service plus the fuel pump recall. Added an alignment as it was needed. I asked if the alignment could affect gas mileage and they said yes. I noticed that my gas mileage was down a couple of miles per gallon for the last month or so. I asked how many Audi vehicles they had in for this electrical system failure. They said around 60 were waiting but that most of them were A6's. Those still covered had received loaners and those not were advised to keep their rental car receipts for possible reimbursement.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
If we look at how many cars Audi has produced with a 48V installation, theoretically the problem can affect even several hundred thousand of cars around the world. Although TSB exists, IMO Audi does not want to implement any preventive action or recall because it would cause mass visits of concerned owners of such cars to the dealers. And that the dealers and Audi itself would not be able to handle. In addition, it would be a huge image loss. So probably at Audi it was decided that "it is better to treat than to prevent" assuming that not all cars will fail, repairs will be made step by step and excessive, unnecessary interest of the public and authorities will be avoided. Because it is not a safety issue, unfortunately many manufacturers do so and only after years admit to problems in their products.
This, of course, is just my guess, which is somewhat based on some business experience.
Appreciate the input, I just have two points: First, I would argue (in a friendly manner, or course) with your point "assuming that not all cars will fail". I think that unless Audi can tell which cars will fail logic demands that all cars will. At least I have not seen any description of factors that would distinguish a potentially failing car from one that won't. Second, I would argue most strenuously that it is a safety matter (I'm assuming that once the fault occurs you can't drive the car very far).

If it's a safety issue then a recall should be issued; this is done by manufacturers all the time and dealers manage the process. Of course, Audi will claim that this is a normal pattern of failures and does not rise to the level of being "recall worthy" (whatever the criteria are). I think the fact they issued a TSB coupled with the serious nature of the failure would cause most reasonable people to think Audi should at least direct dealers to upgrade the software. But that's just me.
The following 2 users liked this post by nlk10010:
AdamNJ (01-16-2023), retom (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

The fact that they are not telling the dealers to update the software makes me think they at least have a decent educated guess that it will be cheaper to resolve case by case than to do anything wide spread. Being nuanced, I don't think we can say all cars WILL fail - there are environmental and use conditions and some cars my never hit the use case that triggers the failure, right? I believe audi has at least a couple ideas, but those are not being shared. But I do think all cars *could* fail. They have SOME data that would be hard for any dealer or us to know. They have a failure locations, dates and mileage. They probably know which lot numbers for the parts involved. They can make some decent guesses about climate by location. They know how many total cars are out there that are above the avg. mileage where the failure happens. It just seems like someone would have some theories at the very least. We just can't get to that someone, and if we could they probably aren't talking.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

More sinister: There could be some internal tension or politics, or external government policy benefit where letting this ride benefits another overall goal that we are not plainly aware of. Audi has their long term all electric direction already set. I could see some people wanting combustion system failures kept UP, to leverage that goal. Say you wanted to argue "legacy" system failure rate against electrics...you'd want to benchmark that legacy failure rate as high as possible, which would make your electric target easier to achieve.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick update:

Called the AoA today. After a healthy 4 hours wait, I was able to speak with a rep. Explained to her my situation (awful towing to 2 months no update,) and asked about what my options are including a buy back.

AoA will perform a "good-will repair". Decision will be made at the dealership level. If that fails buyback can be explored but still no guarantee.

Better than nothing I guess. My poor Q8 has been in the shop for 2 months and counting.
The following users liked this post:
orudis18 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does AoA will perform a "good-will repair", followed by "Decision will be made at the dealership level" mean that good will repair is up to the dealer? or AoA? My prior understand on this is mixed. I think the truth is, either can do a good-will repair, if it is AoA, the dealer will get reimbursed from AoA, if the dealer opts to do it on their own, they don't get reimbursed from AoA?
Old 01-20-2023, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Does AoA will perform a "good-will repair", followed by "Decision will be made at the dealership level" mean that good will repair is up to the dealer? or AoA? My prior understand on this is mixed. I think the truth is, either can do a good-will repair, if it is AoA, the dealer will get reimbursed from AoA, if the dealer opts to do it on their own, they don't get reimbursed from AoA?
"AoA will escalate this good will repair to the dealer and the dealer will make the decision. You will be informed via phone call in few days by the Service Manager at your local dealer. AoA does not make the decision regarding the good-will repair, the dealer does."

That's what they told me when I asked.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve Du
"AoA will escalate this good will repair to the dealer and the dealer will make the decision. You will be informed via phone call in few days by the Service Manager at your local dealer. AoA does not make the decision regarding the good-will repair, the dealer does."

That's what they told me when I asked.
interesting. One time, my dealer told me they talked to AoA and they were able to get a good-will repair approved.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction