Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Each dealership has a certain budget allocation for good-will repairs. After it reaches a certain threshold, it might have to get approval from AoA for reimbursement to the dealership.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in following up with what happens for you. I'm in the same predicament (tow to dealership, zero communication, no ETA on part(s) from Germany) with no offer for a loaner from the dealership. Q7 has been at the dealership just 2 weeks and were told "...it could be weeks to months..." for the needed parts to repair the car.

I couldn't stomach the 4 hour hold with AoA today. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steve Du
Quick update:

Called the AoA today. After a healthy 4 hours wait, I was able to speak with a rep. Explained to her my situation (awful towing to 2 months no update,) and asked about what my options are including a buy back.

AoA will perform a "good-will repair". Decision will be made at the dealership level. If that fails buyback can be explored but still no guarantee.

Better than nothing I guess. My poor Q8 has been in the shop for 2 months and counting.

I'm interested in following up with what happens for you. I'm in the same predicament (tow to dealership, zero communication, no ETA on part(s) from Germany) with no offer for a loaner from the dealership. Q7 has been at the dealership just 2 weeks and were told "...it could be weeks to months..." for the needed parts to repair the car.

I couldn't stomach the 4 hour hold with AoA today. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rickbrl
Hi everyone,

I had the same problem. My 2019 Q8 showed the same electrical problem on Dec 16th, then had a full stop and towed to Audi dealership. During the weekend I was researching the problem and found some posts like yours. So I showed this forum to the service manager at an Audi in the Boston area. They know about the problem and they gave me the same BS answers: No ETA on parts. No loaners available.

The diagnosis and the solution: replace the alternator, update the software and in my case they also suggested replacing the battery. Estimated cost around 3k.

Initially they told me they couldn't cover the costs but they offered me an Enterprise voucher to get a rental car. I said I didn't agree and because it was a problem with several cars of the same model, the cost should be covered by Audi. So they agreed to cover the cost for the repair but declined to help me rent a car.

My last contact was last Friday (30th) and now they told me that my parts should arrive in about 10 days.

I will keep you guys updated...
Any updates? Same situation and nearly same stop date. Still no ETA today for the backorder. I am in Seattle area.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by levistory
Any updates? Same situation and nearly same stop date. Still no ETA today for the backorder. I am in Seattle area.
Interesting. Seattle Audi is the dealer who told me they had to get AoA to authorize a goodwill repair. Of course, you could be on the eastside or down in tacoma at larson too. I don't know which of our 3 area dealers is the best. I suspect they are in alignment with each other to some degree regionally based on my new vehicle ordering experience - which is why I ordered out of MT. Goodluck fellow Seattleite!
Old 01-25-2023, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joined the “starter generator” malfunction club

2019 Q8 Prestige, 68k miles and no extended warranty.

Was out running errands with wide, got an Electrical System Malfunction error, then shortly a Start/Stop malfunction then several more in quick succession. Was closer to dealership than home so just started driving there and then got the “pull over now” alert literally in dealer parking lot.

That was three days ago and no updates until today when I was told this is a known issue, I’m something like number 22 on the list awaiting parts and it could be several months wait. Also told no loaner available -because of the extended wait- but they sent me an email authorizing me to use an Enterprise rental firm nearby and they’d reimburse me up to $50 a day for a rental until my vehicle was repaired. That’s not going to get me another Audi obviously but better than nothing considering I’m out of warranty.

The tech also told me not to stress too much about the repair costs as he’s seen AoA already issuing “goodwill adjustments” for this repair. I’ll believe when I see it but he sounded sincere (as sincere as a service tech can be I guess).

My Q8 was built in Nov of 2018 if it helps with data collection.

Dunno gang….I have had the entire LIDAR system replaced twice on this car (both times under warranty) and several other small electrical issues and now this. Seems to me that this generation of Audi Q8 tech wasn’t quite up to snuff.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default As a side note…

Originally Posted by nlk10010
Thanks for the post summarizing the current state of information on the topic.

So the answer is, essentially, yes, we have to keep driving until we break down which will gain us entrance to Audi Service. We will then be given the opportunity to leave our cars with the dealer for who knows how long, most likely without a loaner. Gee, in comparison, Audi's reliability makes Alfa-Romeo's look like Toyota's (OK, a bit hyperbolic but not much).

Hey, I understand the reality of modern automobiles and corporate liability, but this is scary, especially when a failure of this type could occur in the middle of a busy highway.
As a side note:
I purchased a 2019 q8 with 45k miles from my local Audi dealer. Loved it for less than 4 weeks when I got the electrical malfunction warning. Had not even had the change to put tags on the vehicle. It’s now been at the shop longer than I’ve owned it (early Nov). I was fortunate enough to get a loaner — 2023 Q5. Here’s the kicker— the Q5 only has $8k on it and has locked up and stopped suddenly on me, out of nowhere, while driving. I had toyed with negotiating with the dealer for a newer Q8 (they have offered to take the Q8 back as a trade - but trade value is in its current state), but seeing as how a brand new Audi of any sort is still doing this is a bit of a warning. I miss my Q8 so much. It’s such an amazing car. But I’m likely going to unload it altogether with this opportunity bc I just can’t trust that the issue will be resolved if/when an alternator arrives.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by MissingMyAudi
As a side note:
I purchased a 2019 q8 with 45k miles from my local Audi dealer. Loved it for less than 4 weeks when I got the electrical malfunction warning. Had not even had the change to put tags on the vehicle. It’s now been at the shop longer than I’ve owned it (early Nov). I was fortunate enough to get a loaner — 2023 Q5. Here’s the kicker— the Q5 only has $8k on it and has locked up and stopped suddenly on me, out of nowhere, while driving. I had toyed with negotiating with the dealer for a newer Q8 (they have offered to take the Q8 back as a trade - but trade value is in its current state), but seeing as how a brand new Audi of any sort is still doing this is a bit of a warning. I miss my Q8 so much. It’s such an amazing car. But I’m likely going to unload it altogether with this opportunity bc I just can’t trust that the issue will be resolved if/when an alternator arrives.
can't blame you. myself, i'm ordering a new alternator the day I pick my SQ8 up as an ins. policy.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuck
2019 Q8 Prestige, 68k miles and no extended warranty.

Was out running errands with wide, got an Electrical System Malfunction error, then shortly a Start/Stop malfunction then several more in quick succession. Was closer to dealership than home so just started driving there and then got the “pull over now” alert literally in dealer parking lot.

That was three days ago and no updates until today when I was told this is a known issue, I’m something like number 22 on the list awaiting parts and it could be several months wait. Also told no loaner available -because of the extended wait- but they sent me an email authorizing me to use an Enterprise rental firm nearby and they’d reimburse me up to $50 a day for a rental until my vehicle was repaired. That’s not going to get me another Audi obviously but better than nothing considering I’m out of warranty.

The tech also told me not to stress too much about the repair costs as he’s seen AoA already issuing “goodwill adjustments” for this repair. I’ll believe when I see it but he sounded sincere (as sincere as a service tech can be I guess).

My Q8 was built in Nov of 2018 if it helps with data collection.

Dunno gang….I have had the entire LIDAR system replaced twice on this car (both times under warranty) and several other small electrical issues and now this. Seems to me that this generation of Audi Q8 tech wasn’t quite up to snuff.
Sorry to hear of your "club membership". At least AoA has come forward with concessions (at least from their perspective) to cover repair costs to some, unseen degree, in your case, and loaners/rentals recently. And thank you for your info, sir.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Electrical System Malfunction

My 2019 Q8 did the electrical system meltdown yesterday. I was told by dealership that they have 30 cars in for this repair and I am #3000 worldwide waiting. I was told it would be approx 3 months for part to come in. Luckily I have 2 mos and 1000 miles left under warranty

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction