Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer did give me a loaner car. Thank God for Sewell dealerships in Dallas/McKinney Texas
Old 01-27-2023, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is at Audi of McKinney now. Told to expect at least 8 weeks for part .probably closer to 12weeks
Old 01-27-2023, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a call from the service manager at Audi Baton Rouge this morning. My parts are en route to Baton Rouge, and I have an expected service date for the second week of February. I was number 11 in line when I ordered my alternator in early November, and they are now up to 44 cars waiting. I am a non-warranty, used car, non-CPO customer but I am expecting "goodwill coverage" as many have stated before. Ill update in a few weeks...!
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (01-29-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Audi A6

Originally Posted by ajmilan
I'm collecting info on those that have experiences this failure. Please provide your date of manufacture of your 2019 A6/7/8. I'm trying to build a correlation to manufacture date.

My date of manufacture (A7 Prestige, S-Line) is Sept 2018 (09 18) according to the specification sticker on the driver's door (not the door jamb or pillar). The system failed at about 37,500 miles on the odometer. Similar symptoms as yours.

Let me know what your trim package (Premium, P+, Prestige) and manufacture date are and we'll have more data points.

I have the exact same issue with my 2019 A6 premium. It happened during the Xmas holiday and stranded me on the freeway.
ajmilan (01-31-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Joining the club

Looks like I am joining the club as well. Bought a used 2019 Audi A6 Prestige 2 months ago, less than 1000 miles later, electrical system malfunction. Ironically, the warning came up on my way back from the mechanic who's fixing my girlfriend's Audi A4 for a separate issue. I was able to get home safely, but had to tow the car to the dealership immediately since a check engine light came on, and what I read online deterred me from driving it. The dealership took 2 days to diagnose the car with a generator issue. Same as everyone else here - no ETA on the part, and they will not put in an order for a 48V battery just in case. They don't even want to take a guess but says it's at least going to be weeks. They didn't have loaners available until 2 weeks out to begin with, and they will not lend me one as they do not want their loaner out for weeks to months. Instead, they are renting a car for me through Enterprise, but not after I already paid for a non-refundable 2 weeks rental from Hertz.

Luckily I am still under warranty, but I am concerned with my car sitting in a lot in Massachusetts winter for months. I am concerned that other issues will arise because of this long dormant period, and by then I won't have a warranty anymore.

Here in Massachusetts, the time period where a dealership is waiting on parts apparently does not count towards days in repair, so this doesn't get covered under Lemon Law.

I am not sure if I want to keep the car anymore, as I am losing faith in the car's reliability in the future as well as Audi as a brand. But selling it after the repair would mean I will be losing 20k for driving the car for 2 months. Maybe Audi can buy it back for the same price I paid for it? I will be calling a car and auto class action lawyer this week, but does anyone have any additional advices for me? I already filled out the NHTSA form.
ajmilan (01-31-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

if you don’t want ur car sitting on their lot all winter you could tow it home and put it in the garage then tow it back once they have the parts.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was driving my 2019 Q8 and had the same issue as everyone on this thread. I was already scheduled to have my car serviced for the fuel pump recall, but since my car was non-operating after this electrical issue, the dealership picked up my car immediately and diagnosed the issue. They are replacing the alternator and mentioned that the part is on national backorder from Germany. They will furnish a loaner until its repaired. Sounds like this is going to take a while.
ajmilan (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I have been following this thread since it first appeared. I was driving home from a client lunch today and decided to take mine through a spray/touchless car wash like I always do. Got back on the road and there was an accident on the Interstate so I jumped off. When I got to the end of the exit ramp, BOOM, dash lit up and it said to get the car in for service (or something like that). Just so happened the exit I took was the same exit for the dealership and was able to drive it to them. I arrived at the dealer less than 10 minutes after the warning. The SA I always work with gave me an Audi bag and said to put anything I couldn't do without from the car in it since they would have it for at least 2 months. A lady I know had just pulled her Q7 in a few minutes before me for the same issue. The SA said that just today, they had received notice from Audi that the warrantee had been extended on all cars that have the 48V charging system. Along with that notice they were told to put folks in a rental and Audi was paying for it. I drove home in a VW Atlas. So the wait begins....

PS. 71K miles

Last edited by MarkIndy; 01-31-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added miles on car
ajmilan (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm in Indy also. Nothing happened yet on my 2019 A7 but I only drive it no more than about 10 mi from the Tom Wood dealership waiting for it to happen. When it does I'm thinking of having towed home after being at the dealer so its sits in my garage for 2 mo rather than the dealer lot.
ajmilan (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a CPO 2020 Q8 Prestige with 42k miles on 1/26 out of state. I took it for a test drive for roughly 10 minutes and no indication of errors on the dash appeared. Two days and 200 miles later I had the electrical systems malfunction pop up on the dash. I’ve since take it to my local Audi dealer for service, told about a month wait. I’ve called a few dealers here around NYC and was given the same time frame.

Is it possible I’ve been duped by the out of state dealership, could they have suppressed the error somehow or put a temporary “fix” to “trick the vehicle such as recharging the hybrid generator/battery etc.?

Also anyone around NYC had this issue fixed recently? And how long did you wait?
ajmilan (01-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction