Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I took mine in last Thursday for a recall and Drive System Warning / Limited Performance and mentioned the Electric Sys Malfunction well still at dealer and they said for some reason waiting for a response from factory about something. Well luckily they prior to doing anything gave us a loaner. I called this morning and no answer and no call back. Interesting

Last edited by White Shark; 01-31-2023 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-01-2023, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Dumb question.

Why are all these seemingly failing at exactly the same time? The weather? 3/4 year mark?
Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Dumb question.

Why are all these seemingly failing at exactly the same time? The weather? 3/4 year mark?
The time mark theory fits better. If these things have a set function cycling period based off a constant (time) then after a certain amount of cycles things go south.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Audi Q8 Electric System Malfunction

2019 Audi Q8 Premium Plus, 44K miles.
Only potentially related issue before the warning lights blew up for me was when starting in cold weather the RPMs would fluctuate for 4-5 seconds, meaning they would bounce up and down. I took a video this because I was supposed to go in for regular maintenance and fuel pump recall issue in March so I wanted them to see it for themselves incase it was not signalling a code by the time I got it in. It didn't seem like a big problem...
Here in VT, on 1/26/23, while driving on a wet and snowy road, suddenly something seemed to jolt the car and the warning lights appeared like I won the lottery, only I didn't I called the local Audi dealer immediately and they were great (as always)! They took me right in and provided a Q5 loaner with 200 miles. I am so lucky for that alone. They did mention they may have to call the loaner back and put me into a rental if it turns into an extended wait. So I guess they knew immediately what was going on, and it was serious, even before they put it through any tests. By the end of the day they determined it was what they called an issue with the alternator/starter/generator combo and it was covered under warranty. They said they didn't have a timeline for the replacement and that it was on backorder. They were going to notify their area representative in hopes to expedite it. Bet that just might not work-but I will remain hopeful. This certainly needs to be a recall issue.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Q8 Fluctuating engine.MOV (17.99 MB, 27 views)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Higbee
2019 Audi Q8 Premium Plus, 44K miles.
Only potentially related issue before the warning lights blew up for me was when starting in cold weather the RPMs would fluctuate for 4-5 seconds, meaning they would bounce up and down. I took a video this because I was supposed to go in for regular maintenance and fuel pump recall issue in March so I wanted them to see it for themselves incase it was not signalling a code by the time I got it in. It didn't seem like a big problem...
Here in VT, on 1/26/23, while driving on a wet and snowy road, suddenly something seemed to jolt the car and the warning lights appeared like I won the lottery, only I didn't I called the local Audi dealer immediately and they were great (as always)! They took me right in and provided a Q5 loaner with 200 miles. I am so lucky for that alone. They did mention they may have to call the loaner back and put me into a rental if it turns into an extended wait. So I guess they knew immediately what was going on, and it was serious, even before they put it through any tests. By the end of the day they determined it was what they called an issue with the alternator/starter/generator combo and it was covered under warranty. They said they didn't have a timeline for the replacement and that it was on backorder. They were going to notify their area representative in hopes to expedite it. Bet that just might not work-but I will remain hopeful. This certainly needs to be a recall issue.
Let's see which one comes first, a recall from Audi or a Class Action Lawsuit...
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Du:
Andi Higbee (02-01-2023), angrypengu (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Dumb question.

Originally Posted by Steve Du
The time mark theory fits better. If these things have a set function cycling period based off a constant (time) then after a certain amount of cycles things go south.
So the question is "cycles of what parameter?" Someone posted earlier that perhaps that the number of Auto Start/Stop cycles (if you don't override it). That could be. But who has access to that data, and can collect it at time of failure? Likely Audi. And they may be looking at that (now) as each failed car arrives and is diagnosed. Just a hunch.

Early on I was collecting data on those that responded to my questions, but I now see that what I was collecting is not predictive of the failure mode (so I no longer ask, but I still collect as I look at the unique failure posts).
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (02-02-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

We do not have enough information as end users to contribute meaningfully to the software troubleshooting. All we know is that some software state occurs that assplodes the alternator. What that state is is something audi is trying to chase down, or maybe they have already chased it down. I think there are more variables going on than identifying and fixing the issue, and we won't know what all of those are. Myself, when I pick up my car that is on order, I'm ordering an alternator to have on the ready. Unless this is all completely resolved by then.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2019 Q8 Prestige 17,000 miles- I had the fuel pump replaced today for the recall and requested a software update per the TSB provided in an earlier post above. The tech did the update to the current factory specification, software version 527. Cost was $300. Will it prevent/delay the problem? I don't know, but willing to take the chance to possible prevent being stranded. The following is from my invoice:
17185 150 update is customer request., performed/completed SVM update as per TSb 2058831., battery maintainer present on vehicle during update., scan tool head hard lined to scan tool., basic settings/adaptation completed as SVM update., test drove vehicle after update to check system operation., system operating as per designed at this time.
ajmilan (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Retiredone
2019 Q8 Prestige 17,000 miles- I had the fuel pump replaced today for the recall and requested a software update per the TSB provided in an earlier post above. The tech did the update to the current factory specification, software version 527. Cost was $300. Will it prevent/delay the problem? I don't know, but willing to take the chance to possible prevent being stranded. The following is from my invoice:
17185 150 update is customer request., performed/completed SVM update as per TSb 2058831., battery maintainer present on vehicle during update., scan tool head hard lined to scan tool., basic settings/adaptation completed as SVM update., test drove vehicle after update to check system operation., system operating as per designed at this time.
Awesome, this is the first time we've had someone post that a dealer updated their software without the issue occurring. 300$ seems high, but I get your point about not wanting to be stranded. I would keep your paperwork, because if there is a recall it is likely this update would be covered and you could get your 300$ back.
ajmilan (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Awesome, this is the first time we've had someone post that a dealer updated their software without the issue occurring. 300$ seems high, but I get your point about not wanting to be stranded. I would keep your paperwork, because if there is a recall it is likely this update would be covered and you could get your 300$ back.
Originally Posted by Retiredone
And happy to hear that parts are available for the fuel level sender. I still have not received a call that those part are available. I have an appointment for the GCM recall at the end of the month and hope the sender gets addressed at the same time.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction