Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Interesting. I see it various audi dealer sites for a variety of prices. as low as 550$ up to 1300$. I wonder what is going on. And yes I know the refurb has the X, i just thought better check carefully, to see the fine print.

A while back, someone said a new part was out, but we never saw proof on any of the audi dealer part sites. maybe this is a case where they are dropping the price on this part? and a new one is in the pipe line? But who would want this alternator if it is part of the fatal issue?
Originally Posted by Mike88
I thought the one ending with “P” is the new part dealers are trying to get a hold of…
Yes, that looks like the Q8 part. The SQ8 and RSQ8 part is different.
-->There are slight differences in the part number per MY and Model.<--

This is interesting. The P supersedes the N and the "P with dashes". The R supersedes the "R with dashes". Hmmm.

So dashes are meaningful.

The 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 3.0L A7s (all trim packages) utilize the "P", while the 2020, 2021, and 2022 2.9L S7s and 2021 and 2022 4.0L RS7s (only one trim package) utilize the "R".

Other Models vary as well. Bottom line: check parts.audiusa.com for proper part for your vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
eurocar1 (07-03-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Before when I was looking, I assumed that when they removed the dashes, that they also must show that change in the supersessions, and that the part itself may be the same in that case but how they refer to it has been revised, but I do not know for sure. I wonder if there is something regulating this somewhere, and any part number change, even if the part itself is the same, must be disclosed?
Old 02-02-2023, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
-->There are slight differences in the part number per MY and Model.<--

This is interesting. The P supersedes the N and the "P with dashes". The R supersedes the "R with dashes". Hmmm.

So dashes are meaningful.

The 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 3.0L A7s (all trim packages) utilize the "P", while the 2020, 2021, and 2022 2.9L S7s and 2021 and 2022 4.0L RS7s (only one trim package) utilize the "R".

Other Models vary as well. Bottom line: check parts.audiusa.com for proper part for your vehicle.
The dashes don't matter. It's just another notation for the part number. Same as writing this number with gaps instead of dashes.
Alternators for Q8 may have the following letters: J, N, P, H, M, Q. And they appear to be interchangeable.
Alternators for the RSQ8 have the letter R and for cars produced from 23 January 2023 they may have the number T. These water-cooled alternators/starters are produced by Continental.
There are also alternators for the Q8 (not water-cooled) manufactured by Valeo, Bosch or Denso with completely different catalog numbers. These alternators are installed in other engine versions not sold in the US and Canadian markets.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just received a call from my dealer, White Allen Audi in Dayton, OH, where my Q8 has sat since Dec 20th. They just informed me that the new parts will not fix any my car or any others that have this issue. They are offering a buy back and $5000 off a new Audi. Has anyone else received a similar call?

It appears they are in a whole new world of hurt.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow that is new information…with such big statements i would think something formal would come out from audi if this would be widely applied. i know a dealer individually can execute a buy back and give someone some $ amt off on a new car that they are okay to absorb. but as to if this is a audi decision that will be offered to everyone impacted by the TSB…seems astounding. i can’t even imagine the loss there. buy back plus 5,000$ for the number of cars is HUGE.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

wow that is new information…with such big statements i would think something formal would come out from audi if this would be widely applied. i know a dealer individually can execute a buy back and give someone some $ amt off on a new car that they are okay to absorb. but as to if this is a audi decision that will be offered to everyone impacted by the TSB…seems astounding. i can’t even imagine the loss there. buy back plus 5,000$ for the number of cars is HUGE.

Agree and considering I have a formal buy back request into Audi I am surprised the call came from the dealer. That request has been at Audi of America for about 20 days.

Waiting for their offer and hoping others have info before I pull thr trigger one way or another.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by horkyroj
Agree and considering I have a formal buy back request into Audi I am surprised the call came from the dealer. That request has been at Audi of America for about 20 days.

Waiting for their offer and hoping others have info before I pull thr trigger one way or another.
If there is another audi you'd want, and it is available (the real trick) then a buy-back plus 5,000$ seems like a no brainier. I'm assuming you get what you paid for the car, warranty, extended warranty, pre paid service (if applicable) and the tax back. Maybe I do not understand exactly how the buy-back works.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by horkyroj
I just received a call from my dealer, White Allen Audi in Dayton, OH, where my Q8 has sat since Dec 20th. They just informed me that the new parts will not fix any my car or any others that have this issue. They are offering a buy back and $5000 off a new Audi. Has anyone else received a similar call?

It appears they are in a whole new world of hurt.
Wow that is... a bombshell. Then again at this rate it might be cheaper just to buy all the affected cars back instead of going through a class-action suit and settlements.

I did call my dealer yesterday, of course no update. And mine has been there since middle of November. ATL area.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If there is a widespread buyback, and the issue still exists in 2023 cars, as the latest TSB suggests, that's odd - because it seems like they'd need to develop a solution for cars in production, or have a plan for some post production fix that can be deployed before vehicle sale. If you're doing that, why not deploy that same fix in cars already on the road or waiting for repair? The delta would the down time for current owners because with this issue now have they have owners w cars tied up waiting for parts/repair. I don't understand how a large scale buy back makes sense if the owners would be buying another audi that still has this issue? Something doesn't scale with wide spread buy-back...too many models and years, and there isn't a supply to replace them. Audi would be sending owners away to other manufacturers primarily.
67since67 (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is a widespread buyback, and the issue still exists in 2023 cars, as the latest TSB suggests, that's odd - because it seems like they'd need to develop a solution for cars in production, or have a plan for some post production fix that can be deployed before vehicle sale. If you're doing that, why not deploy that same fix in cars already on the road or waiting for repair? The delta would the down time for current owners because with this issue now have they have owners w cars tied up waiting for parts/repair. I don't understand how a large scale buy back makes sense if the owners would be buying another audi that still has this issue? Something doesn't scale with wide spread buy-back...too many models and years, and there isn't a supply to replace them. Audi would be sending owners away to other manufacturers primarily.
At this rate everything are just speculations. My take on that is maybe given the condition of various things such as supply chain, resources needed to pinpoint, develop and imply the fixes would cost way more than just buying the broken ones back and offer an incentive instead.

Who knows at this point? It's a giant random number generator and a game of chance.

Whomever makes the first step, let it be the consumers (class-action) or the manufacturer (Audi itself) would have the upper hand in controlling this issue.
ThomasWShea (02-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction