Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike88
I spoke to my SA today, he mentioned that he’s expecting a shipment of parts in a couple of weeks and is hoping it’s enough to fix most of the vehicles currently on the wait list (19 at the moment). He thinks we might be at the tail end of this fiasco. I’m not putting too much weight on what he said but seeing the alternator coincidently price drop today has my hopes up.
The price drop simply means that Audi is having to replace a significant number of parts under warranty or goodwill. When that happens, they drop the price on the part which then looks better on their books. It’s an accounting thing and all manufacturers do it.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Du
And mine has been there since middle of November. ATL area.
Which dealer in ATL?
Old 02-02-2023, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by g8rbait
Which dealer in ATL?
South Atlanta Audi.

The vehicle was purchased across the country from another dealer.
The following users liked this post:
g8rbait (02-02-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Du
At this rate everything are just speculations. My take on that is maybe given the condition of various things such as supply chain, resources needed to pinpoint, develop and imply the fixes would cost way more than just buying the broken ones back and offer an incentive instead.

Who knows at this point? It's a giant random number generator and a game of chance.

Whomever makes the first step, let it be the consumers (class-action) or the manufacturer (Audi itself) would have the upper hand in controlling this issue.
so an update on my experience. Now the dealer says they will not buy back but are only offering a trade. Has anyone found a good lawyer to deal with this? The new models have the same issue and I rather not deal with this again in 6 months or 4 years.....

Old 02-04-2023, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i have not seen any reports about this problem in EU forums. Have I just missed that, or could it be a US specific issue?
Old 02-04-2023, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by horkyroj
so an update on my experience. Now the dealer says they will not buy back but are only offering a trade. Has anyone found a good lawyer to deal with this? The new models have the same issue and I rather not deal with this again in 6 months or 4 years.....
if u like ur car, i would just ask them to give u a 2nd alternator to have on the ready. and agree that if it happens again after that they give u a 3rd alternator - but my guess is it will be resolved by then.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

I would be more mad about them offering a trade than if they offered nothing at all. it is just such an insult, even w 5000$ off you will end up with a significant loss after tax for the new car and the amt. you would get for ur existing car.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I would be more mad about them offering a trade than if they offered nothing at all. it is just such an insult, even w 5000$ off you will end up with a significant loss after tax for the new car and the amt. you would get for ur existing car.
Yup and agree! I feel like I am stuck here between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to go. I have had a buy back request into Audi for 20 plus days and no answer back. Audi of America is very little help and the dealer is honestly saying they can not fix the issue. So I have a 50k dollar brick at the moment and no way to fix it. It's under warranty and I cant comprehend how Audi thinks by just ignoring the issue it's going to go away.
I did contact a class action lawyer but it's going to take weeks to months to research the issue and potentially years to come to a conclusion if they even decide to take the case forward. And here I sit down a car for potentially a half a year plus and zero recourse....

So do I take a bath or frankly continue to hold out for 6 months to a year where the car will be worth less, I have continued costs and frankly increased blood pressure dealing with Audis incompetence......really have no idea what to do....
The following users liked this post:
Luudrchris (05-01-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup and agree! I feel like I am stuck here between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to go. I have had a buy back request into Audi for 20 plus days and no answer back. Audi of America is very little help and the dealer is honestly saying they can not fix the issue. So I have a 50k dollar brick at the moment and no way to fix it. It's under warranty and I cant comprehend how Audi thinks by just ignoring the issue it's going to go away.
I did contact a class action lawyer but it's going to take weeks to months to research the issue and potentially years to come to a conclusion if they even decide to take the case forward. And here I sit down a car for potentially a half a year plus and zero recourse....

So do I take a bath or frankly continue to hold out for 6 months to a year where the car will be worth less, I have continued costs and frankly increased blood pressure dealing with Audis incompetence......really have no idea what to do....
Why is your dealer saying the new alternator will not fix your vehicle? I thought that was the solution and numerous folks on this thread have said their vehicle is fine after dealer installed new parts.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike88
Why is your dealer saying the new alternator will not fix your vehicle? I thought that was the solution and numerous folks on this thread have said their vehicle is fine after dealer installed new parts.
great question. They are saying the new alternators are not fixing the issue. That is why I wanted to ask if anyone else got the same message. They are telling me the offer is coming from Audi of America who I plan on calling tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction