Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the SF Bay and my q8 has been in since Nov 9th. 3 months today, still no ETA. Last time I spoke to my service advisor, he said there are over 300 Audis in the bay alone with the same issue
Old 02-09-2023, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

I would think this Jamie Dennis guy might know something - because I have a long time contact with someone I believe works under him with the title of "Area After Sales Manager" and she has always come thru for me, but it appears this guy would be over all of those individuals Audi of America:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamie-dennis-67b263114/
jamie.dennis@audi.com

Screen cap for those that don't want to deal with logging in to LinkedIn:

Old 02-09-2023, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

The message I have from my contact at Audi on how these issues flow is this: 1) Audi Customer Experience Center documents the concern/feedback and then that data is then reviewed by 2) Product Support and then communicated to 3) Germany, if necessary. Audi Customer Experience Center Ph: (800) 822-2834 and email: Auditalk@audi.com
Old 02-09-2023, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Can someone please bring me up to speed on this question:

1) If you start the car, and all is good, is it "safe" from breaking down or:
2) Can the BSG just crap out any time even after 10 minutes post car start?

ty
Old 02-09-2023, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Can someone please bring me up to speed on this question:

1) If you start the car, and all is good, is it "safe" from breaking down or:
2) Can the BSG just crap out any time even after 10 minutes post car start?

ty
Answers:

1) No.

2) Yes.
The following 3 users liked this post by krs225:
ajmilan (02-13-2023), angrypengu (02-09-2023), ThomasWShea (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys. 2019 A6. Had the car die while driving and had it towed via Audi Care to a local dealer early November.

I’ve been told everything about these generators- from a complete redesign of the part to simply supply chain issues to “we got 800 shipped in and only 300 made it through customs” (?!). SUPPOSEDLY, after now knowing the GM, service head and a few salesmen on a first name basis it will be fixed “next week”. That’s over 100 days.

There is a federal law called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. It is designed to keep companies honest about their warranties. Most lawyers I’ve spoken with think this has been a case, and now that it’s over 90 days they all say “most likely”.

thanks for keeping these threads going. Kept me sane on those days with a crummy rental to know I wasn’t the only one in this totally wrong situation.

to anyone new, Audi corporate has rental reimbursement program now. Up to $60 a day. You need to call an advocate. Make sure they email you their extension so You don’t get put on hold every time you call.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Received a call this morning. Informing my Q8 is in the shop for both the Alternator & Fuel Pump replacement (part of a recall). The dealer is aiming to "complete this today."

When asked about the request from AoA to make this a courtesy-repair, the SA did not confirm or deny the situation, but stated that "that's what we are aiming for."

Will keep everybody updated. It's been 3 months...
Old 02-10-2023, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a call today from my dealer. Part is in. 10 weeks. At least I have had a loaner.

Good luck to all who are waiting.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just picked up my Q8. My SA wasn’t in so I wasn’t able to ask him few questions.

Here is a photo of the invoice.

The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-13-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 A6 Fixed! Just picked it up today- there is HOPE!

I’ve been following this thread since I had to get my car towed to the dealership right after Christmas. I immediately found this thread and was preparing myself for a long wait. Good news is I was going to be out of town for a month, so figured it would be done close to when I would be back.
A day after the car was towed to the dealership (Audi Exchange, Highland Park, IL) the said they could only get me a loaner the following week, but as I was heading out of town I told them I’d get one once I’m back.
Got back to Chicago beginning of this month and called to find out about the timeline and loaner. They still didn’t have an idea of how much longer the wait would be, and worse, they had no loaners till at least April (through Audi on Demand). They did give the option of reimbursing $50/day towards a rental (or Turo).
I figured I’d be better off if I met the service manager in person to shake hands, talk about the issue, and get real updates on the problem and possible timeline. I also wanted to know where I am in line for this part/repair, and to let him know I’m not upset at them, but frustrated at the problem.
Service manager is a great guy, apologized for the issue and long wait, and said he’d get in the phone to find out more and update me. A few days later I got a call that there were a few parts on the way, but no clue how many exactly. I also found out I’m #21 in line at this dealership. Oh boy.
I just stayed cool and treated the manager with respect and told him I understand it’s not his fault and that we’re all in this together. He appreciated the treatment and said he’d do what he could.
Well, a couple days later I got the call (today) that the car was repaired a ready for pickup!! Not only that, but they replaced the battery for me, and even replaced the brake pads & rotors because it sat so long outside in the cold that they were concerned the rust would mess up the brakes & warp the rotor.
The starter generator system now has a 7-year extended warranty and unlimited miles. Unfortunately, they’re not exactly sure what causes the problem, but said the cold weather adds to it.
So there is hope soon for everyone here. And not saying that glad-handing the service manager will climb you up the wait list, but hey, it can’t hurt. They get enough complaints about this problem.
Thanks for everyone’s contribution and comeraderie. We’re all in this together.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction