Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone found out what the root cause of the failure is, software, overuse of start/stop, faulty part? Is the replacement part the same or redesigned? Does the part fail based on mileage, time in use or no pattern?
Old 02-11-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Retiredone
Has anyone found out what the root cause of the failure is, software, overuse of start/stop, faulty part? Is the replacement part the same or redesigned? Does the part fail based on mileage, time in use or no pattern?
1) Root cause is the million dollar question. Audi's TSB indicates software, but then rumors of a new alternator started circulating too. Nobody really knows, at least that's willing to talk.
2) Replacements are the original part.
3) No desirable pattern though I don't remember seeing many posts from people with less than 15,000 miles on the clock - which is frustrating. My personal advice to lower your chances would be to turn off the auto start stop, and park in a garage as much as possible because temp. fluctuations and start stop cycles add wear to all auto components.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
ajmilan (02-13-2023), angrypengu (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank Thomas!. My 2019 is at 17,000 miles. I turn off the start/stop as soon as it activates, since new. Car is always garaged and I was able to have them update the software last week when they did the fuel pump recall. Still, every time I go out, the failure is in my thoughts.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank Thomas!. My 2019 is at 17,000 miles. I turn off the start/stop as soon as it activates, since new. Car is always garaged and I was able to have them update the software last week when they did the fuel pump recall. Still, every time I go out, the failure is in my thoughts.
In theory, the software update should keep the car from killing the alternator. We haven't seen anyone with the version of software specified in the TSB have the issue occur, yet. Let me emphasize, in theory...
The following users liked this post:
Retiredone (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

As far as I know this is the problem with the software responsible for 48V battery charging which damages the alternator. That is why Audi replaces the alternator on the same one (the same part number) but uploads the new software.
Retiredone (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

So new 2023 models don't have this problem? What year models have this issue?
Could be useful info if somebody is looking to buy a new(er) Audi.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
So new 2023 models don't have this problem? What year models have this issue?
Could be useful info if somebody is looking to buy a new(er) Audi.
Newest TSB covers *all* models that use this part, including 2023.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations to Romi D and Steve Du. Those were long waits... and we know there are many more who have waited that long or longer. And Romi: I applaud the very generous way you conducted your conversation with the folks at your dealership. Well done.
So, I just noticed tonight that this chain was created more than two years ago. I've been lucky since I just joined this "exclusive" club about a month ago (2020 A6 Allroad,18000 miles) and I lucked out and received a loaner A4.
I've read through all of this chain, I think, and one thing that seems consistent is that nobody seems to know the cause. If it were really understood I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't communicate it. (Legal?) Personally, I like Mr. Shea's observation that it seems to happen to vehicles with one model alternator and 15000+ miles. Perhaps whatever the problem is it takes some time for it to pummel the alternators to death? So, perhaps they are they replacing dead alternators- as they receive new ones- confident at least that they will have figured out the problem before these too are bricked?
Old 02-13-2023, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdsA6Allroad
Congratulations to Romi D and Steve Du. Those were long waits... and we know there are many more who have waited that long or longer. And Romi: I applaud the very generous way you conducted your conversation with the folks at your dealership. Well done.
So, I just noticed tonight that this chain was created more than two years ago. I've been lucky since I just joined this "exclusive" club about a month ago (2020 A6 Allroad,18000 miles) and I lucked out and received a loaner A4.
I've read through all of this chain, I think, and one thing that seems consistent is that nobody seems to know the cause. If it were really understood I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't communicate it. (Legal?) Personally, I like Mr. Shea's observation that it seems to happen to vehicles with one model alternator and 15000+ miles. Perhaps whatever the problem is it takes some time for it to pummel the alternators to death? So, perhaps they are they replacing dead alternators- as they receive new ones- confident at least that they will have figured out the problem before these too are bricked?
Software:
Since the TSB circles the drain and basically specifies the software update as the root cause fix I think we can make a logical conclusion there was some update to the software, and the update to the software was the result of a conclusion audi made. We don't have visibility into what the software update change is so as the public we won't know any details. Also, the software update could fix some cases audi believes caused the issue, but there may be other unidentified cases.

Somewhere within audi there are probably software release notes, but even if we had those, they might not paint a clear picture for end users - you'd probably need other data from within their issue tracking solution, and you'd probably need someone to put it together into a report. That report may exist but more than likely it'd be internal for decision makers at audi, and I don't think we'd ever see it - unless a lawsuit opened audi up to discovery.

Alternator:
We heard there was an updated alternator - but I haven't seen any updated alternator parts for U.S. Q8 models although the RSQ8 and Q8 alternator prices have dropped to 770$. If we see an updated part, it seems like that would be alternator firmware or some other change to the alternator itself to make a software condition explodes the alternator moot.

The most recent paper work posted shows an 4N0903028P alternator being installed on Feb 10th (which is the original part), and the "new alternator" talk started about 3 weeks before that. I suppose it might be another 9 weeks before we'd see a new alternator here in the U.S. if we assume it takes 3 months for an alternator get here.

Moving Forward:
At this point it seems like audi has settled into executing what is in the TSB and waiting to see what the effect is. By the time that 8th year rolls around (since they are extending the warranty for this), the issue won't be as hot as it is today. My guess is it may be cheaper for audi to get ahead of the alternator supply issue and have the needed alternators built, ready, and swap them out as necessary. If legal action arrises, they address that as it comes, and they probably already have a planned response if it does come.

Future:
I think audi wants to spend their resources moving into their EV future and forget about this mess. They will do enough to keep themselves from being subject to any legal action and enough to keep the most customers from pulling the plug on the brand. I think they are doing that, as much as people are complaining. If you have a vehicle to use, and the repair is no cost, most people aren't going to bail out. Customers that are going bananas - they're gone - even if audi does right from here on out funding rentals / loaners / repairs -- I don't think audi is going to spend an inordinate amt. of money to try and keep those customers at this point. Plus, there are new customers to be had in transitioning nations, and I think the numbers there are vast compared to the numbers they will lose.
ajmilan (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent summary Thomas! Clearly, you REALLY read (and can recall) all the meaningful pages of this thread. Audi could use you!

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction