Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsA6Allroad
Excellent summary Thomas! Clearly, you REALLY read (and can recall) all the meaningful pages of this thread. Audi could use you!
Yeah, I'm actually learning German, and I am trying to get a job there - most of the jobs that are the higher level and in the area I work require both German and English. I'm an enterprise architect, and they seem like they need more people that know what they're doing on the software / hardware / troubleshooting side.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

As of 01/23/2023 in RSQ8 there is a new alternator with letter "T". But not any changes in other Q8 models.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
As of 01/23/2023 in RSQ8 there is a new alternator with letter "T". But not any changes in other Q8 models.
I was searching, and can't find 4N0903028T listed at U.S. Dealers...yet. But maybe I don't know exactly where to look. Frustrating...

I found European sources for 4N0903028T though...
Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

There is no indication the software fix fixes anything, otherwise the 2023 models would not be on the TSB.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
There is no indication the software fix fixes anything, otherwise the 2023 models would not be on the TSB.
I agree. With the 2023s on the list they don’t have a software or hardware fix to the problem. Audi is just punting the problem down the road by replacing the hardware hoping to buy some time as they work on a permanent solution.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am embarrassed that I didn’t think of that 🤯

But, playing devil’s advocate there are a couple things possible. 1) Because of the supply chain issues, the hardware with the old firmware is still being installed? Not sure if there is a way to check this other than having the dealer check. 2) There was a software fix but audi doesn’t know if it resolved all the faulty code paths so they added the 2023 cars to the list so they’d be covered just in case.

We haven’t yet seen any car with the updated software fail again. I hope that doesn’t happen but if it does we will know for sure they software fix isn’t cutting it.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I am embarrassed that I didn’t think of that 🤯

But, playing devil’s advocate there are a couple things possible. 1) Because of the supply chain issues, the hardware with the old firmware is still being installed? Not sure if there is a way to check this other than having the dealer check. 2) There was a software fix but audi doesn’t know if it resolved all the faulty code paths so they added the 2023 cars to the list so they’d be covered just in case.

We haven’t yet seen any car with the updated software fail again. I hope that doesn’t happen but if it does we will know for sure they software fix isn’t cutting it.
This is unlikely. If the software fix resolved this problem, there is no reason Audi would not have done a recall by now, or to have the updated software just installed at the factory or at the dealer during PDI.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think you are right. I am just befuddled.

This would mean they are spending a large number of resources, and risking many customer relationships inconveniencing people for a band-aid. And audi will have to apply a fix AGAIN - so wasteful.

I am still somehow hopeful we are missing something and the software has SOME change that helps even if it does not completely fix the issue. Hoping the current fix at least reduces the chance of this happening even if it doesn't totally stop the issue.

Something needs to give for us to know more. Revised alternators for multiple models coming out might indicate the alternator update will end up being the fix, OR cars w the existing software fix need to start breaking down again which would tell us that is for sure NOT the fix.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up the Q8 today. Alternator, firmware, fuel pump recall, and new front brakes. All seems good so far, fingers crossed as we leave on a 7 hour road trip Friday morning! Thanks to everyone for the data supplied here. If anything, it helped me ask the proper questions at the service desk.
The following 3 users liked this post by LDNCLR:
Charles Jacobina (02-15-2023), jdsA6Allroad (02-15-2023), ThomasWShea (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2019 Q8 sorts package, 70k miles. New alternator and fuel pump waiting to hear if I have to take it in for ball joints otherwise it’s running fine but I hate to see what I get for this vehicle when I Itraded it in. thanks everyone for posting since AUDIdoesn’t keep us informed we have to rely on loyal bloggers, like all of you. Truly appreciate your comments.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction