Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
good idea. I'll do that right now. I need to make a quick trip to the drug store. Might do a before and after reading.

UPDATE: well, I guess it lives another day. Voltage started out at 11.9 after sitting in the garage for a week and after the short 15 min. trip it read 12.2. So its charging. . . for now
Battery voltage (normal) should be 12,5 -12,8 Volts, during charging 14,2 -14,7 Volts.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

RESEARCH FRONT:
About 6 weeks ago, I was reading on the continental site, about the liquid cooled belt driven starter generator, and emailed the contact they had listed (Simone Geldhäuser). Still haven't heard back from her, I think I was too specific in my email, and she probably decided ignoring was best - can't blame her.

Anyway, today I went back and read over the continental site again, and searched all their press releases, and it seems there is another company in the mix, vitesco technologies. So I went to their website, and they had a little more detail than continental, and their content was less marketing, more technical, plus they have pages for both liquid and air cool solutions that look like the BSG products installed in the audi line. I emailed them with a more generic message, just indicating I was interested in their BSG products. I am hoping they get back to me - in the mean time I need to dream something to start & keep a conversation with them, and my ideal goal (and I have no idea how to get this to happen) would be to volunteer to work with them in some capacity, and get them to send me product & code, and help in the troubleshooting and resolution efforts.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

good idea. I'll do that right now. I need to make a quick trip to the drug store. Might do a before and after reading.

UPDATE: well, I guess it lives another day. Voltage started out at 11.9 after sitting in the garage for a week and after the short 15 min. trip it read 12.2. So its charging. . . for now
I wonder if you trickle charged it up to the norm, as @retom shared, if your start / stop would start working again?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
RESEARCH FRONT:
About 6 weeks ago, I was reading on the continental site, about the liquid cooled belt driven starter generator, and emailed the contact they had listed (Simone Geldhäuser). Still haven't heard back from her, I think I was too specific in my email, and she probably decided ignoring was best - can't blame her.

Anyway, today I went back and read over the continental site again, and searched all their press releases, and it seems there is another company in the mix, vitesco technologies. So I went to their website, and they had a little more detail than continental, and their content was less marketing, more technical, plus they have pages for both liquid and air cool solutions that look like the BSG products installed in the audi line. I emailed them with a more generic message, just indicating I was interested in their BSG products. I am hoping they get back to me - in the mean time I need to dream something to start & keep a conversation with them, and my ideal goal (and I have no idea how to get this to happen) would be to volunteer to work with them in some capacity, and get them to send me product & code, and help in the troubleshooting and resolution efforts.
Yes, you sound like a perfect beta-tester to me!
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, Audi Midtown here in Houston has just informed me that they have received a replacement alternator for my a6 Allroad, and that it should be ready tomorrow. It has been a few days short of one month since it died on a toll road... a story well told on this thread. But one month seems really fast given all that I have read here. So, is this a trend? I'd love to think this is the case, but other than a couple of folks earlier in the week I haven't gotten this impression. Perhaps folks are just dropping off the thread when their cars are fixed?
I have a loaner A4... new. (I'd forgotten how much I'd liked mine. But I digress.) My point was that were I a dealer I'd first want to clear out the folks who have loaner cars.... costing the dealership money. That just makes economic sense.
Has a ship full of alternators sailed in?
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
I monitor 5 separate boards across the A6, A7, and Q8 models and have heard that the SS and rear spoiler (as applicable) failures have been early warning signs.
I didn't have any "early warnings". SS issue appeared at the same time as Electrical malfunction, I thought it was a consequence of that, not a foreboding.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Battery voltage (normal) should be 12,5 -12,8 Volts, during charging 14,2 -14,7 Volts.
If you are referring to the battery voltage (normal), after being parked, then this isn't true. It's a f(x) of ambient temperature. In the winter it's going to be lower, around 12.2V after sitting idle, or lower if it's really cold.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
If you are referring to the battery voltage (normal), after being parked, then this isn't true. It's a f(x) of ambient temperature. In the winter it's going to be lower, around 12.2V after sitting idle, or lower if it's really cold.
"Normal" means engine off battery charged. 12,2V in very cold conditions is low but still OK.
Below my battery Voltage, measured in a car parked for 2 days in moderate temperature:

Old 02-17-2023, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
"Normal" means engine off battery charged. 12,2V in very cold conditions is low but still OK.
Below my battery Voltage, measured in a car parked for 2 days in moderate temperature:

well mine was reading 11.2 after sitting over 2 weeks in a 50F garage so if the last couple of comments are true then mine was pretty low.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well mine was reading 11.2 after sitting over 2 weeks in a 50F garage so if the last couple of comments are true then mine was pretty low.
Check if your alternator properly charge the battery. Start the engine and after 5 minutes check the voltage with working engine. Should be above 14V.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction