Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Hmm.

Do y'all BSG units have a coolant pump or no? Mine doesn't seem to have one. It tells me this in the long coding section of OBD11 for this module.
I don't have my 2023 SQ8 yet...still waiting for delivery, so I can't look. It have always wondered why there is the air-cooled Denso model, and then the Continental liquid cooled model. I do not know why they use 2 different models within the same product series (i.e. Q8 cars) - but like you pointed out, they use both active cooled batteries, and batteries without active cooling. We don't know why that is the way it is either. You had your theory on middle-east, or active suspension, but reTom's car doesn't have it, and he has active suspension, and active anti roll stabilization.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 02-21-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I don't have my 2023 SQ8 yet...still waiting for delivery, so I can't look. It have always wondered why there is the air-cooled Denso model, and then the Continental liquid cooled model. I do not know why they use 2 different models within the same product series (i.e. Q8 cars) - but like you pointed out, they use both active cooled batteries, and batteries without active cooling. We don't know why that is the way it is either. You had your theory on middle-east, or active suspension, but reTom's car doesn't have it, and he has active suspension, and active anti roll stabilization.
How does one tell if the BSG is from Denso or Continental out of curiosity?

I have about a hundred data points or so on VH2 vs VH3, and for now Retom's VH2/active suspension is the only odd data point. That said, all of mine are A8s so maybe that's why. All of my middle east data points for A8s on passive suspension is on VH2....but this is neither here nor there, for brevity.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How does one tell if the BSG is from Denso or Continental out of curiosity?

I have about a hundred data points or so on VH2 vs VH3, and for now Retom's VH2/active suspension is the only odd data point. That said, all of mine are A8s so maybe that's why. All of my middle east data points for A8s on passive suspension is on VH2....but this is neither here nor there, for brevity.
continental or Vitesco will be on the liquid cooled part sticker. Denso will be on the air cooled part sticker.

The VH2 vs VH3 may be different because it is a Q8 and with the Q8 design the battery isn’t in a trunk it is in that rear hatch area so maybe it doesn’t get the temp extremes? I am guessing.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

continental or Vitesco will be on the liquid cooled part sticker. Denso will be on the air cooled part sticker.

The VH2 vs VH3 may be different because it is a Q8 and with the Q8 design the battery isn’t in a trunk it is in that rear hatch area so maybe it doesn’t get the temp extremes? I am guessing.
Thanks, do you have a picture of where to look? I'm happy to go looking myself!
Old 02-21-2023, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, do you have a picture of where to look? I'm happy to go looking myself!
Air cooled looks like the traditional alternator - the sticker on the middle band:

Liquid cooled has the sticker on the back, and it has a solid construction:

The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Air cooled looks like the traditional alternator - the sticker on the middle band:

Liquid cooled has the sticker on the back, and it has a solid construction:

Thank you. I went to go physically look and lo and behold, OBD11 says my BSG isn't liquid cooled, but it indeed is, unsurprisingly, the Continental one. So all things being equal, best to check physically.
ThomasWShea (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this issue related to the "Starter-Alternator Warranty Extension" letter I received yesterday? I now have letters for extended warranties on the Ball Joints (5 years/60K) and Starter-Alternator (7 years/unlimited) and have had the Fuel Pump replaced on recall. Starting to think the Q8 was not as well designed as outward appearance would indicate.
The following 2 users liked this post by txtom:
BRITinUS (02-22-2023), stawon (02-26-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@txtom yes.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Here is water-cooled 4N0903028M and the list of all types of alternators installed in Q8 and SQ8:

ThomasWShea (02-23-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@txtom yes.
I have a 2019 Q8 Prestige which still has under 20K miles.
The Audi letter does not indicate any urgency but that the dealer will diagnose the Starter-Alternator when it is in for service. This is similar to the wording on the extended warranty for the Ball Joints.
Is there actually a high level of urgency or is waiting until June to have these problems diagnosed considered safe? I just took it in last month for the fuel pump replacement. I don't have the time to read through nearly 500 posted comments even if I understood most of them.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction