Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by txtom
Is this issue related to the "Starter-Alternator Warranty Extension" letter I received yesterday? I now have letters for extended warranties on the Ball Joints (5 years/60K) and Starter-Alternator (7 years/unlimited) and have had the Fuel Pump replaced on recall. Starting to think the Q8 was not as well designed as outward appearance would indicate.
I have the same extended warranties and recalls for my A7. The one question I have for my SA is "Will the 7-year/unlimited mileage extended warranty for the Starter/Alternator apply to the replacement unit installed in April 2022 when the original factory unit failed?" My concern is that the most recent part and software version has not been installed/applied, since my failure and repair took place in April 2022. I have a hunch that the 7-year/unlimited extended warranty only applies to the original part/software from the factory build. I'll pose this question to the SA on Feb. 28 when my vehicle is serviced for the fuel level sender recall, gateway control module recall, ball joint inspection, and intermittent rear spoiler failures ().

FYI, I have not had any additional electrical/electronic failures since Starter/Alternator replacement on April 6, 2022 and 5,500 miles later (I work from home and don't get out much!)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

@txtom sounds like you’re not driving it much. if it fails you could need a tow to the dealer. if it were me w low miles i would just wait till june. situation may improve by then as far as what the fix is as well as part availability. right now if it dies the wait for a new belt-driven starter generator has been 3 months in many cases. some people luck out with a 1 month wait. some people get dealer loaner cars or rentals covered, some do not. individuals going months without their car or a loaner have not been happy.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@txtom sounds like you’re not driving it much. if it fails you could need a tow to the dealer. if it were me w low miles i would just wait till june. situation may improve by then as far as what the fix is as well as part availability. right now if it dies the wait for a new belt-driven starter generator has been 3 months in many cases. some people luck out with a 1 month wait. some people get dealer loaner cars or rentals covered, some do not. individuals going months without their car or a loaner have not been happy.
Yes, but will that 2nd replacement be covered? Again, I have already had the BSG replaced under warranty in April 2022. THAT is my question for the SA.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ajmilan
Yes, but will that 2nd replacement be covered? Again, I have already had the BSG replaced under warranty in April 2022. THAT is my question for the SA.
Ask. See what they say. My guess is yes. If it breaks 3 times they replace it 3 times. 4 times, they replace it 4 times. Just like with anything else warrantied on ur vehicle.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 02-22-2023 at 06:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (08-03-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
Given the long history of Audi, it's not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that no, it's 7 years from in service date. Audi has never extended the warranty to cover the replacement part and as such revise the 'start' date.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by txtom
I have a 2019 Q8 Prestige which still has under 20K miles.
The Audi letter does not indicate any urgency but that the dealer will diagnose the Starter-Alternator when it is in for service. This is similar to the wording on the extended warranty for the Ball Joints.
Is there actually a high level of urgency or is waiting until June to have these problems diagnosed considered safe? I just took it in last month for the fuel pump replacement. I don't have the time to read through nearly 500 posted comments even if I understood most of them.
I've only read the one letter that's been posted on the A6 forum. I don't see where it said that the problems will be diagnosed when it's in for service? Does it explicitly say that in your case? Thanks
Old 02-22-2023, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Given the long history of Audi, it's not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that no, it's 7 years from in service date. Audi has never extended the warranty to cover the replacement part and as such revise the 'start' date.
what you are describing isn’t my experience or understanding. the start date is the date the car was initially delivered to the 1st buyer in most cases. if a warrantied part breaks, they replace it. if it breaks again they replace it again. are you saying audi would say: hey we see we replaced this under warranty once, so good luck! i had items replace multiple times under warranty, no push back was ever given.
ajmilan (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
True about our mileage. The Q8 is actually my wife's car while I drive a Macan GTS. We bought both shortly before the pandemic and for a couple years drove very little, although we have increased our mileage recently.
Is there a high failure rate for this part or just rare occurrences? I too am leaning toward just waiting for the 4 year service due in June since we do have a second car to drive and are both retired so don't have a daily commute. I do, however, hate the idea that she might break down along the highway.

Prior to this car we had a flawless Q5, but my previous experience with Audi was in 1985 with an Audi Couple that spent more time in the shop for electrical problems than at home. After a year of replacing nearly every electrical component on that car the dealer shipped it back to Germany and gave me credit for all payments on a new Audi 4000. That was our last Audi until 2016 and this will likely be our last since 2 out of 4 being lemons does not speak well for any manufacturer. As I said about my 1970 Fiat Spyder, it's a great car...when it runs.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

My last Audi was a 1986 5000 that the world thought killed people by unintended acceleration. Plus it had all kinds of mechanical problems. I said never again till 33yr later I tried this 2019 A7. This one is my last Audi. Like you I had two 1975 Fiat 124 Spyders at different times. Loved the cars, even restored one in 1990, but man where they built bad. My restored one before and after

Last edited by Jdsengineer; 02-22-2023 at 08:02 AM.
ThomasWShea (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
My last Audi was a 1986 5000 that the world thought killed people by unintended acceleration. Plus it had all kinds of mechanical problems. I said never again till 33yr later I tried this 2019 A7. This one is my last Audi. Like you I had two 1975 Fiat 124 Spyders at different times. Loved the cars, even restored one in 1990, but man where they built bad. My restored one before and after
Nice restoration but its still a Fiat. I also had the blue. Came with a full quart of touch-up paint. When I went to touch up a few scratches after a year, the paint had faded so much that it was a totally different blue. I replaced nearly every part including the engine, radiator, every electric switch, (some twice), water pump, wiper motor, heater, and more on warranty and unloaded it at 23 months before I had to start paying for parts. That and my '85 Audi Coupe were the two least reliable cars I ever owned,

This Audi at least lasted over 3 years before the list of recalls and problems started appearing.

Last edited by txtom; 02-22-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction