Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by txtom
Is there a high failure rate for this part or just rare occurrences?
It does seem like most cars that fail are over 30k miles - but this is very anecdotal.

At a few different points, dealers and other audi contacts have throw out numbers about how many audis are waiting on alternators in the U.S., but you'd need data we don't have, such as how many Q8, SQ8, and RSQ8 (by model year) cars are waiting, and how many Q8, SQ8, and RSQ8 (by model year) have been sold. The sales numbers by model could be found, but nobody here would be able to get the data on how many cars are waiting for parts - that is internal audi data.

I think you lower risk by garage parking your car (to prevent temperature extremes), and disabling the start/stop feature when you drive, particularly if you do long idling (waiting in parking lots, or urban driving). This is just my opinion, there is nothing official on this - it is just what I would do personally.

If it were me, I'd still just wait for my June appointment, and check back here about a week before your service appointment to see if there are any developments. I say that because if your car isn't exhibiting the symptoms, they won't do anything to "fix" it anyway. The most you might get is the appropriate software update "out of warranty", which only one person has reported getting their dealer to agree to do this - and the dealer charged them 300$ for the update.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I think you lower risk by garage parking your car (to prevent temperature extremes), and disabling the start/stop feature when you drive, particularly if you do long idling (waiting in parking lots, or urban driving). This is just my opinion, there is nothing official on this - it is just what I would do personally.

If it were me, I'd still just wait for my June appointment, and check back here about a week before your service appointment to see if there are any developments. I say that because if your car isn't exhibiting the symptoms, they won't do anything to "fix" it anyway. The most you might get is the appropriate software update "out of warranty", which only one person has reported getting their dealer to agree to do this - and the dealer charged them 300$ for the update.
Thanks. Our cars are always garaged and we also aren't fond of the auto S feature so nearly always disable it. It seems that every time I take it for service they do some sort of software update. Why would they charge for this one if it can prevent a problem. We already had a 6 year warrantly prior to the 5 year ball joint and 7 year starter letters.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I've only read the one letter that's been posted on the A6 forum. I don't see where it said that the problems will be diagnosed when it's in for service? Does it explicitly say that in your case? Thanks
The letter states, "During the time/mileage period specified above, an authorized Audi Dealer will diagnose and replace the Starter-Alternator at no cost to you if diagnosis confirms that the Starter-Alternator has failed from a warranty defect."

It's a bit of odd wording that almost implies they will charge for the diagnosis if it hasn't yet failed but how can they determine if its failing or about to fail if they don't diagnose? I would hope it wouldn't have to have complete failure before they replace it under warranty.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It seems that every time I take it for service they do some sort of software update. Why would they charge for this one if it can prevent a problem.
Ask your dealer that question - they may just do it no problem. I think the thinking from the dealers that have said no is that the update isn't necessary, unless you have the issue in the TSB. Of course my rebuttal to that would be, then give me the update so can avoid the issue all together. However, we don't know all the details, and some have pointed out that maybe the software fix isn't really a fix since 2023 models are also included in the TSB and presumably they have the newer software. All that said, maybe now that this letter has come out, audi will ease up on their stance, and give the software update w/o the failure occuring.

The letter states, "During the time/mileage period specified above, an authorized Audi Dealer will diagnose and replace the Starter-Alternator at no cost to you if diagnosis confirms that the Starter-Alternator has failed from a warranty defect."

It's a bit of odd wording that almost implies they will charge for the diagnosis if it hasn't yet failed but how can they determine if its failing or about to fail if they don't diagnose? I would hope it wouldn't have to have complete failure before they replace it under warranty.
The way I read that is "If you have the issue during the time/mileage period specified above, an authorized Audi Dealer will diagnose and replace the Starter-Alternator at no cost to you if diagnosis confirms that the Starter-Alternator has failed from a warranty defect." I don't think they will diagnose anything if there are no codes indicating an issue. That said, I'd press for the software update either way.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
what you are describing isn’t my experience or understanding. the start date is the date the car was initially delivered to the 1st buyer in most cases. if a warrantied part breaks, they replace it. if it breaks again they replace it again. are you saying audi would say: hey we see we replaced this under warranty once, so good luck! i had items replace multiple times under warranty, no push back was ever given.
That's what I'm saying.

In service date Jan 1st, 2020. Warrantied until Jan 1st 2027. If it breaks 15 times within the 7 years you're covered. Once Jan 2nd 2027 comes around, you're on our own.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's what I'm saying.

In service date Jan 1st, 2020. Warrantied until Jan 1st 2027. If it breaks 15 times within the 7 years you're covered. Once Jan 2nd 2027 comes around, you're on our own.
correct. i have had my dealer tell me if there is an issue and ur just outside the period, they tend to cover it. also, there is the extended warranty that can be purchased.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

That's what I'm saying.

I read it that way as well, but will still ask the question of the SA as a "Let's say it breaks again and is diagnosed per TSB, am I covered?" However, that will be the opinion of one SA at one dealership.
ThomasWShea (02-22-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 931 Likes on 648 Posts

So I'm also in a weird spot now. The whole point of buying the extended warranty (in my case, 10 years, or 80K or 100k KM because I don't get out much) was to avoid these massive out of pocket repairs. The extended warranty in Canada excludes air suspension, so what I own (A8) is essentially a massive A6 (EA839 engine). With the BSG covered for 7 years now, I'm not entirely sure what the heck to do now with extended warranty. Yes, I get it covers a lot of other components but it's a run of the mill V6 + ZF suspension that is shoved into a 2.5 ton package.

Oh what a FWP, haha.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I did the same thing. Bought an extended warranty about two months ago just because of all the crap going on with the alternator. I got a 5yr one. Now they cover the thing. So maybe something else comes up I guess that makes it worthwhile. Nothing like hoping something breaks, huh?
angrypengu (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Received notice today my vehicle will be ready for pick up tomorrow after 4 weeks at the dealer. I was doing 2x weekly check-ins with my SA, in the last 1-2 weeks I could tell there was an increase in delivery/# of parts arriving which my SA also confirmed. I suspect we are at the tail end of this disaster.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction