Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I do not remember seeing anyone mention the start stop quitting as a symptom before. Can you share where you are hearing this?
That was my first message before the “Pull over now” Xmas tree lights all over the dashboard. It’s a common start to the critical failure discussed in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@Jdsengineer if you decide u do not want the extended warranty you can cancel it and get a prorated refund.
angrypengu (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my Q8 today. The Service Team said the starter/generator is the improved version and they also replaced the fuel pump while it was in there. The Service Team was absolutely great to work with (as always) and had provided a new Q5 as a loaner from the beginning. So happy to have the Q back, but I am leery of it.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andi Higbee
I picked up my Q8 today. The Service Team said the starter/generator is the improved version and they also replaced the fuel pump while it was in there. The Service Team was absolutely great to work with (as always) and had provided a new Q5 as a loaner from the beginning. So happy to have the Q back, but I am leery of it.

4N0903028P is the original part. I thought if a part was changed/improved they revised the part number. @retom thoughts?
Old 02-24-2023, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

4N0903028P is the original part. I thought if a part was changed/improved they revised the part number. @retom thoughts?
I thought N was the original part.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi Logic
I thought N was the original part.
You are correct, N is the original, I re read my prior post!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25770809
Old 02-24-2023, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

"N" was replaced by "P". But it doesn't mean that "P" is the latest, trouble free generation as also some people with this alternator letter had the same problem. I still believe that the key problem is in the software or the badly designed 48V charging system. That is why new cars as Mrclopec reported probably have new, redesigned 48V system based on capacitor instead of battery.
When I will visit my dealer I will try to check if their new cars have also capacitor. Meantime it would be good if someone on this forum with the car produced during last 4 months could check if he has capacitor or battery. It is easy to check as visible on Mrclopec picture.
angrypengu (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
"N" was replaced by "P". But it doesn't mean that "P" is the latest, trouble free generation as also some people with this alternator letter had the same problem. I still believe that the key problem is in the software or the badly designed 48V charging system. That is why new cars as Mrclopec reported probably have new, redesigned 48V system based on capacitor instead of battery.
When I will visit my dealer I will try to check if their new cars have also capacitor. Meantime it would be good if someone on this forum with the car produced during last 4 months could check if he has capacitor or battery. It is easy to check as visible on Mrclopec picture.
This is the picture...if you have the super capacitor, it will look like this ⬇️

If you have the LiIon battery, it's longer (the length of the whole tray, and fastens using the two empty bolt holes at the rear of the tray)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just txted w my dealer. They could not wrap their minds around the 48 volt capacitor vs 48 volt battery. They replied saying they talked to their techs, showed them the above pic and the reply was that the "48 volt battery is in the trunk, and there is another 12 volt battery too". After going around with them, and referencing the pic in my explanation they still didn't get it, so @retom I think we will need to go lay eyes on some 2023s and check ourselves. I will try to do this this weekend over here in the U.S.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had fuel pump replaced on my 2019 Q8. SA said that alternator replace was about 6 to 9 months out at this time. Discussed a new audi with salesperson and was told that they were offering a $5000 rebate on a new audi when the alternator fails. Anybody else heard of this rebate?
ajmilan (02-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction