Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by horkyroj
I just received a call from my dealer, White Allen Audi in Dayton, OH, where my Q8 has sat since Dec 20th. They just informed me that the new parts will not fix any my car or any others that have this issue. They are offering a buy back and $5000 off a new Audi. Has anyone else received a similar call?

It appears they are in a whole new world of hurt.
Originally Posted by oleaudi
Just had fuel pump replaced on my 2019 Q8. SA said that alternator replace was about 6 to 9 months out at this time. Discussed a new audi with salesperson and was told that they were offering a $5000 rebate on a new audi when the alternator fails. Anybody else heard of this rebate?
@horkyroj had an offer like that. Quoted above, Link here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25786643

On the 6 to 9 months, is the SA referencing an all NEW alternator? Or is he saying to get the current alternator will take 6 to 9 months? Longest waits reported here are about 3 months.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@horkyroj had an offer like that. Quoted above, Link here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25786643

On the 6 to 9 months, is the SA referencing an all NEW alternator? Or is he saying to get the current alternator will take 6 to 9 months? Longest waits reported here are about 3 months.
@ThomasWShea SA said 6 to 9 months for a new alternator and a loaner car would be available.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q8 SLine Prestige

On my way out of town today I started getting the electrical malfunction warning. By the time I got to a parking lot and called my dealership, the entire electrical system had failed. The screens went out, the door locks wouldn’t unlock, and all the beeps and warning lights were going off and the car felt like it had the power of a wet noodle. My Q only has 39,000 miles and just recently received it’s 40,000 mile maintenance. At no point was there any indication that there was an issue. Thank goodness I was able to get somewhere before it totally died. I had to have it towed back to the dealer. It was a pretty distressing ordeal and even more distressing after reading this thread. I can’t believe there are so many of us out there and there hasn’t been any proactive resolution on the part of Audi. It’s dangerous and scary.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oleaudi
@ThomasWShea SA said 6 to 9 months for a new alternator and a loaner car would be available.
hum, that is just shockingly long - i would not go to that dealer if ur alternator fails and another dealer is near by. I say that because 6 to 9 months is just so far outside the norm, it is actually insane. And the fact that they would even quote that timeframe to a customer and not expect them to freak out makes me think they are just not aware of reality, or social norms. so i wouldn’t want to deal with them. it actually reminds of the time i served on a jury, that ended up hung. one of the jurors said she didn’t know what “common sense” was. when she said that the other jurors exploded.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Murphy law, when the alternator fails it will be somewhere on the planet not near any Audi dealership.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (02-26-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

I visited my Audi technician friend today. Here's what I found out unofficially:
The problem is serious and applies to all models with 48V installation. If a fault occurs, 75% of cars must be towed. The waiting time in the EU for a new alternator is about 2-3 weeks. The fault affects all 48V water-cooled alternators, but in their experience, most of them are those with the letter "P".
They have not received any official information from Audi what is the reason of this failure, but from their knowledge it is a problem with the software that controls the charging of the battery.
They also did not receive any information about installing a different 48V system (hardware) in new cars. All new cars that come from the factory (pictures below) still have the same system with a 48V battery.
When I told him about our findings with a different alternator and capacitor he was surprised and said there could be two reasons:
1/ This applies only to cars in the US specification
or
2/ it may be due to the lack of some elements which forced the installation of a different system in some batch of cars. There are still reportedly changes to some car components due to supply issues.

RSQ8 (Prod. 02.2023)

SQ8 (Prod. 12/2022)

SQ7 (Prod.12/2022)

So. it seems that the mistery is still not solved. It would be good to see the pictures from US owners of new cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
angrypengu (02-27-2023), ThomasWShea (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts

I am now even more confused. So the cars with the SCAP, do they have a 48V lithium ion battery after all?
Old 02-27-2023, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I am now even more confused. So the cars with the SCAP, do they have a 48V lithium ion battery after all?
no it is a 48 volt super capacitor, instead. there is no 48 volt battery. When u look the part up it is called “capacitor”.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw somebody posted that they might be reimbursed for the cost even though it’s out of warranty. I bet Q8 to 19 and I had to pay $2200 but it would’ve cost me $4500 for a replacement of the alternator did anybody else receive a notice from Audi about covering this cost based on the last report of the 7year warranty extension
Old 02-27-2023, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Charles Jacobina
I just saw somebody posted that they might be reimbursed for the cost even though it’s out of warranty. I bet Q8 to 19 and I had to pay $2200 but it would’ve cost me $4500 for a replacement of the alternator did anybody else receive a notice from Audi about covering this cost based on the last report of the 7year warranty extension
In north america, people starting getting letters on this Feb. 18th - also now there is another thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...nsion-3052339/
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (02-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction