Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Is the 2nd bullet 100%? The SQ8 models here in the U.S. show as always having the air cooled alternator...
Originally Posted by retom
We don't know this on 100%. Our investigation is still ongoing In US TSB (in EU it is called TPI) there is an information that SQ8 also may be affected by this " BSG disease". Perhaps some SQ8 also on US market have BSG. Btw it is interesting why SQ8s have air cooled alternator and RSQ8s have BSG. RSQ8 is much closer to Urus than SQ8.
9G5 on the trunk sticker means that the car has 140-210A, 14V alternator. As I remember 0K0 or 4K0 are not printed on this sticker but you can find these PR on the detailed specification of the car. 0K0 means: without alternative drive system.
Oh boy...I'm going down the rabbit hole with this response so bear with me. I'm probably going to go off the path a little so I apologize.

PR codes are used in the build process of a car. They are how the manufacturer spec's everything about a vehicle from the language they use on the labels on the inside of the door, to the coding of the MIB3 system, all of the way down to whether the radiator fan runs twice as often or half as much depending on the temperature of the region the vehicle is being sold in. Its quite detailed to say the least... When it comes to coding the vehicles, the "mothership" aka "Audi AG" has a program known as ODIS that is used for programming, diagnosing, repairing, updating etc. the vehicles. There is a program in the background on Audi's servers that communicates with ODIS and generates the coding for the vehicles and this system is known as Krypto42.

Krypto42 uses the PR codes of a vehicle to generate the control module coding as well as the various control module's parameter data. When you look at PR codes, my SQ8 has at least 207 different PR codes that make up the build of the vehicle. There is a master list comprised of all PR codes for all vehicles across all brands under the VAG umbrella. These codes are broken down into PR families. Typically, only one PR code applies to a vehicle out of a single PR Family, and then there will be multiple PR families applying to one PR grouping.

A good example for demonstration is 0K0 which is the non-hybrid setup. A valid grouping of PR codes would require one PR code from Family "ASY", one PR Code from family "GEN" and one PR Code from Family "MOT". You cannot have more than one PR code from the same family apply to the same vehicle. For instance, you cant say that a vehicle has 9G3 and 9G5 because that would imply the vehicle has both the 120-180A alternator as well as the 140-210A alternator. There are 15 "theoretical" combinations across all three of those PR Families that are part of that Grouping that would technically be valid according to Krypto42, but that does not necessarily mean that all of those combinations were actually produced.

Sometimes the line is a little bit more definite when you have only one option under two of the groups (0K4 and 9G8). That means there is only one alternator associated with the mild hybrid setup for that particular vehicle line, but there are 4 different engines setups that can be used with it.

So to answer your question if we know this for 100%, well, it depends. The pictures I previously provided of the PR groups and part numbers, are for the model year 2023 and in the region USA. While they most often do mirror those of other regions, they can vary from year to year. ETKA shows 9G8 with part numbers of air cooled standard alternators all of the way back to 2019, but that doesn't necessarily mean they went into production. Or if they did maybe it was in a very remote county. Or maybe they were produced as internal vehicles for production testing. Or maybe they were only applicable to vehicles for government use. We just don't know. As far as the USA, I have yet to see an autoscan or any data to suggest the SCAP was used prior to model year 2023. Why do I think the 2023 is included in the recall? Because there were a number of 2023 SQ8 vehicles produced PRIOR to the SCAP being implemented, aka mid model change.

Alright, enough of this rabbit hole, Im late for a very important date...;-)
The following 5 users liked this post by Mrclopec:
ajmilan (03-02-2023), angrypengu (03-02-2023), Retiredone (03-02-2023), retom (03-02-2023), ThomasWShea (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Truth well told Mrclopec.
In our BSG investigation we should also include Q7 and SQ7 as this is the same platform and the same engines.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Calling Audi any luck

I'm following up on a string of conversations about the electrical malfunction with the generator. I had to replace mine took seven weeks, and it cost me $2200, but now I see the letters being sent out to several people saying that you will extend the warranty by seven years or reimburse you for the cost of the generator. I've been trying to call Audi but it seems they have a new system, and it takes an hour to get somebody online have any of you been successful in speaking to somebody at Audi if you did let me know the other option is to send an email to Audi but it seems suspicious that there's no place that an email is listed on their website. If you had success emailing them, can you send me the email address. Based on the number of responses this is turning into an international embarrassment.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Jacobina
I'm following up on a string of conversations about the electrical malfunction with the generator. I had to replace mine took seven weeks, and it cost me $2200, but now I see the letters being sent out to several people saying that you will extend the warranty by seven years or reimburse you for the cost of the generator. I've been trying to call Audi but it seems they have a new system, and it takes an hour to get somebody online have any of you been successful in speaking to somebody at Audi if you did let me know the other option is to send an email to Audi but it seems suspicious that there's no place that an email is listed on their website. If you had success emailing them, can you send me the email address. Based on the number of responses this is turning into an international embarrassment.
@Charles Jacobina Auditalk@audi.com

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 03-02-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Truth well told Mrclopec.
In our BSG investigation we should also include Q7 and SQ7 as this is the same platform and the same engines.
Are there any other models we should investigate? I have't done the erWin portal yet to pull config for the 4 SQ8 cars I have VINs for, but when I do it, it seems like we should have a set of vins for any other models we want to check into. Any models other than the SQ7 that might not have BSG for some units?
Old 03-02-2023, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are there any other models we should investigate? I have't done the erWin portal yet to pull config for the 4 SQ8 cars I have VINs for, but when I do it, it seems like we should have a set of vins for any other models we want to check into. Any models other than the SQ7 that might not have BSG for some units?
RS6, RS7, A8 (60 TFSI), S8. All these cars with 4.0 TFSI engine from MY2020 should have 48V electric system with BSG. Of course at least in theory.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

RS6, RS7, A8 (60 TFSI), S8. All these cars with 4.0 TFSI engine from MY2020 should have 48V electric system with BSG. Of course at least in theory.
I don't seem to be as good at finding out all the types of a particular part (i.e. alternator/bsg) for a given car, I don't know what tool you are using that has the green and purple coloring. But wouldn't that tool show all the alternator/bsg types for a model for a given year? So if you look up the A8, and there are no air cooled alternators, then couldn't we assume that is true, and not research further? If you see an air cooled alternator options for the A8, then we'd know at least some A8 cars do not have the BSG. Make sense?
Old 03-02-2023, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't seem to be as good at finding out all the types of a particular part (i.e. alternator/bsg) for a given car, I don't know what tool you are using that has the green and purple coloring. But wouldn't that tool show all the alternator/bsg types for a model for a given year? So if you look up the A8, and there are no air cooled alternators, then couldn't we assume that is true, and not research further? If you see an air cooled alternator options for the A8, then we'd know at least some A8 cars do not have the BSG. Make sense?
I think that to make the life simpler we should concentrate mainly on SQ8 and SQ7.
All the cars which I listed before may have air cooled and/or water cooled alternators because all of them have 4.0 TFSI and 48V system. I was sure that from MY2020 all 4.0TFSI cars on all markets have only BSG but I was mistaken.
The following users liked this post:
Mrclopec (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:41 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that to make the life simpler we should concentrate mainly on SQ8 and SQ7.
All the cars which I listed before may have air cooled and/or water cooled alternators because all of them have 4.0 TFSI and 48V system. I was sure that from MY2020 all 4.0TFSI cars on all markets have only BSG but I was mistaken.
Agreed!

The RS6, RS7 and RSQ8 all came with 0K4. Unlike the SQ7 and SQ8 which came with the detuned version of the RS motors, the S6 and S7 vehicles came with the 6 cylinder TFSI engines, so they are 0K4 as well.
The SQ7 and SQ8 vehicles from MY23 (Manufactured Nov 2022 forward) may be the only ones not affected...But again, only time will tell as more of those vehicles are produced and the data starts to be available to support that suspicion.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Agreed!

The RS6, RS7 and RSQ8 all came with 0K4. Unlike the SQ7 and SQ8 which came with the detuned version of the RS motors, the S6 and S7 vehicles came with the 6 cylinder TFSI engines, so they are 0K4 as well.
The SQ7 and SQ8 vehicles from MY23 (Manufactured Nov 2022 forward) may be the only ones not affected...But again, only time will tell as more of those vehicles are produced and the data starts to be available to support that suspicion.
Maybe we should also look at the RSQ8 because I'm still intrigued why the new SQ8s have a 48V Urus system and the new RSQ8s probably still have BSG.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction