Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's an interesting conundrum for sure because let's assume indeed it's 4x slower for the 12V to charge up (I think this is right but I don't know exactly how linear the charge time is a f(x) of voltage), then most air cooled alternators would just crap out like we see on internal combustion cars with a systemically low lead acid battery. So in any event, we're back to square one!

That said, I'm confident there is a way to engineer super durable 12V alternators b/c cop cars probably run into this. Though, I guess, they do leave their cruisers running all the time and they do have additional batteries? In any event, yeah, I agree with you that this is a better approach than a single point of failure like the 48V battery.

Up next: Time to see if there is a reduction in fuel mileage as per the EPA for 2023 models vs 2022. That might be telling...(SQ8)

Edit: Holy crap, there is a MPG reduction of "1". Now, is this because of updated testing or because of the SCAP vs lithium ion batt?
Now this is funny because w my last audi car & driver said it had the lowest fuel economy in its class and that was how I new I was selecting the right car for me. I wanted the worst mpg. Without anything more than instinct, my gut was translating that as older tech, and more durable. With this car I really didn’t care about it I was thinking great it will be a V8, terrible fuel economy so it should at least run good because if ur you are going w a V8 they aren’t even going to try. I didn’t want the RSQ8 because my gut was that I don’t want to get the most out of my engine, I just want it to run and I want to be able to reasonably blast around. I probably sound crazy, but I do think there is some valid strategy to intentionally not wanting to maximize. I also buy electronics and many things by weight. I want the heavier item even if it costs a little more. more weight often means better. of course there are exceptions but for general buying that approach works out pretty well for me. Another one I sometimes use is higher cost fewer features. Usually that lead a better item.
The following users liked this post:
a75 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I kinda had the same thought when I got my 2013 BMW 650 convertible with 460 HP twin turbo V8. Trouble was the engine was pretty bad design. But at least it got 15 mpg !!

My 460 HP V8 Corvette, however, gets almost 30 on the interstate in 7 gear, so good ol USA GM has it figured out (Texas-Hog would love it)

Last edited by Jdsengineer; 03-07-2023 at 05:37 AM.
ThomasWShea (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jdsengineer
Well, I kinda had the same thought when I got my 2013 BMW 650 convertible with 460 HP twin turbo V8. Trouble was the engine was pretty bad design. But at least it got 15 mpg !!

My 460 HP V8 Corvette, however, gets almost 30 on the interstate in 7 gear, so good ol USA GM has it figured out (Texas-Hog would love it)
I had a black corvette convertible with a red interior in 1993, I loved that car!

eventually i will attain my goal of gallons per mile with a jet

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 03-07-2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@angrypengu to get back on track - it is a little confusing because @Mrclopec's car is fully loaded w luxury package, and it survives fine with the 14 volt alternator, 12 volt batt. and 48 volt cap. @Sk8's car has a 14 volt alternator and a 12 volt batt, with NO 48 volt at all - and his car has air suspension - however, no anti-roll bars, and I'm not sure if it has luxury package. My question is: what power need is there for the 48 volt BSG? Or is there not a power need for 48 volt other than running the BSG's "advanced" start stop functionality? If that "advanced" start stop is the only reason for the 48 volt BSG, why wouldn't they just implement the start stop like they have done it in SQ8 w 14 volt alternator and a traditional starter? Why implement the start stop in 2 different ways?
Old 03-07-2023, 11:08 AM
Sk8
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@angrypengu to get back on track - it is a little confusing because @Mrclopec's car is fully loaded w luxury package, and it survives fine with the 14 volt alternator, 12 volt batt. and 48 volt cap. @Sk8's car has a 14 volt alternator and a 12 volt batt, with NO 48 volt at all - and his car has air suspension - however, no anti-roll bars, and I'm not sure if it has luxury package. My question is: what power need is there for the 48 volt BSG? Or is there not a power need for 48 volt other than running the BSG's "advanced" start stop functionality? If that "advanced" start stop is the only reason for the 48 volt BSG, why wouldn't they just implement the start stop like they have done it in SQ8 w 14 volt alternator and a traditional starter? Why implement the start stop in 2 different ways?
My 2020 SQ8 has every option except for Night Vision and the Sport package that included the active rear differential and active roll bars. I have the luxury package along with the Bangs and Olufsen system. I also have the same EPA MPG rating as the 2021 and 2022 model years. So it confirms what you're saying, "Why implement the start stop in 2 different ways".
ThomasWShea (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sk8
My 2020 SQ8 has every option except for Night Vision and the Sport package that included the active rear differential and active roll bars. I have the luxury package along with the Bangs and Olufsen system. I also have the same EPA MPG rating as the 2021 and 2022 model years. So it confirms what you're saying, "Why implement the start stop in 2 different ways".
so i think @retom mentioned the bars are 48 volt. my car doesn’t have the upgrades stereo, but it does have the sport package w the roll bars. in theory it should have have the capacitor like @Mrclopec’s car.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8
Active roll bars need modules D4 and D5. I didn't see them in your car scan.

Last edited by retom; 03-08-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
so i think @retom mentioned the bars are 48 volt. my car doesn’t have the upgrades stereo, but it does have the sport package w the roll bars. in theory it should have have the capacitor like @Mrclopec’s car.
Yes, sway stabilization needs 48V. Upgraded stereo needs 12V. I have B&O Advanced system ( with pop-up tweeters in the dash) and it is powered by 12V.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

All of the active suspension components are operated off of the 48V system, yes. It's the only way the car has the electrical capacity needed to lift the car up quickly (A8), and to counteract physics.

Air suspension without that is just passive air ride that we've known and "love"/"hate" over the last 2 decades.

I'm not sure if I did a good job explaining why I looked up fuel economy. My guess is the SCAP is just a bandaid to solve a problem that VAG can't figure out how to solve. So they slapped on a SCAP instead of a 48V mild hybrid battery...but fuel mileage suffers as a result, which is to be expected. That's just another guess
Old 03-07-2023, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...animation-4734

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction