Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

What suspension does @Sk8 have? I thought he reported that he had air suspension, and all 12 volt.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
What suspension does @Sk8 have? I thought he reported that he had air suspension, and all 12 volt.
I have SQ8 which is like one @Sk8 have. There is no battery/capacitator in the trunk. It was produced 2022/05.
Technical data from my.audi.com:

· 8-cylinder SI engine 4.0 l/373 kW biturbo, FSI, homogeneous base engine is TV7/T1M

· Standard battery/alternator capacity

· Start/stop system

· Not hot country

· Alternator 140-210 A

· Battery 520 A (92 Ah)

· Standard electric

· All-wheel steering

· Adaptive air suspension – sport

· Without active roll stabilization

Last edited by Janez; 03-08-2023 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:01 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Air suspension does not require 48V, only active roll stabilization.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@Janez or @Sk8 / and @angrypengu Air suspension questions: Is the air suspension in their two cars different from the air suspension in the cars with the active roll? Do cars w active roll add additional air suspension activity then? i.e. dynamic inflate and deflate as you drive? whereas cars without active roll set the air suspension to a "position" based on drive mode and weight on the rear of the vehicle, and that's it - they don't dynamically change the suspension while driving?
Old 03-08-2023, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

@Janez or @Sk8 / and @angrypengu Air suspension questions: Is the air suspension in their two cars different from the air suspension in the cars with the active roll? Do cars w active roll add additional air suspension activity then? i.e. dynamic inflate and deflate as you drive? whereas cars without active roll set the air suspension to a "position" based on drive mode and weight on the rear of the vehicle, and that's it - they don't dynamically change the suspension while driving?
They are two separate systems.

All cars have passive air suspension. Simple air shocks + compressor, etc. Basically, the 'boring' stuff that has been around forever.

There is a separate electrically operated "ram" (I forget the word) which operates on the 48V system. These huge electrically powered pistons/rams, is what lifts the car, or tilts the car. The air shocks are "supplemented" with this active sway bar/roll bar/electrically powered rams, essentially. It's why the A8 can lift so quickly upon entry. It's not the air suspension raising it, it's rather these 'rams/arms'.

retom's video above is from Audi, but the problem is Audi bastardized the video and made it seem like it's the air shocks doing this, it's not
Old 03-08-2023, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
They are two separate systems.

All cars have passive air suspension. Simple air shocks + compressor, etc. Basically, the 'boring' stuff that has been around forever.

There is a separate electrically operated "ram" (I forget the word) which operates on the 48V system. These huge electrically powered pistons/rams, is what lifts the car, or tilts the car. The air shocks are "supplemented" with this active sway bar/roll bar/electrically powered rams, essentially. It's why the A8 can lift so quickly upon entry. It's not the air suspension raising it, it's rather these 'rams/arms'.

retom's video above is from Audi, but the problem is Audi bastardized the video and made it seem like it's the air shocks doing this, it's not
So the Q8 cars do not have these "rams"?
Old 03-08-2023, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

So the Q8 cars do not have these "rams"?
Any car with predictive suspension has them. Think of them as active anti sway bars, etc. Those are all powered by the 48v system.

If your suspension can counteract physics, it requires the 48V system. I bet you the Q8 and the A8 have the same active suspension systems, but because the A8 rides lower, it has the party trick of rising when you first step in.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2-3 weeks for part? I’ve been waiting 6weeks so far and no end in site. I was told to expect at least 3 months
Old 03-09-2023, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by txtom
I have a 2019 Q8 Prestige which still has under 20K miles.
The Audi letter does not indicate any urgency but that the dealer will diagnose the Starter-Alternator when it is in for service. This is similar to the wording on the extended warranty for the Ball Joints.
Is there actually a high level of urgency or is waiting until June to have these problems diagnosed considered safe? I just took it in last month for the fuel pump replacement. I don't have the time to read through nearly 500 posted comments even if I understood most of them.
I have the same and mine just died. From what I can tell the dealerships are so backed up with vehicles like mine that have died and waiting on parts Im not sure they’re able to do Anth thing proactive. I was scheduled to get fuel pump done next week, now they are doing both at same time once the infamous alternator arrives (no estimated time right now). Perhaps by the time the alternator arrives they’ll have a recall on the ball joints as well. What a mess!
Old 03-09-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mom’s Q
2-3 weeks for part? I’ve been waiting 6weeks so far and no end in site. I was told to expect at least 3 months
yeah dealer told
me no estimate but between 6-9 weeks. WTF?

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction