Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thanks Thomas Reminding us Canadians how short of an end we get it here, hahaha!

Is the latest part 4N0 903 028 P? (ending in P)? Not sure if you know, thanks!
Here is even cheaper: https://parts.audibrooklyn.com/p/aud...N0903028P.html
Please let us know when you buy it. It is interesting that people in US wait even couple of months for replacement and here in many US Audi shops this alternator is available immediately and in a very low price. Just a mistery for me.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Here is even cheaper: https://parts.audibrooklyn.com/p/aud...N0903028P.html
Please let us know when you buy it. It is interesting that people in US wait even couple of months for replacement and here in many US Audi shops this alternator is available immediately and in a very low price. Just a mistery for me.
Yup will do. My only concern is what Thomas brought up above which is, what happens if I buy a part that is then superceded? Will Audi actually catch up inventory wise in the next 3 months making stocking up pointless? That's what I'm navigating through but i'll make a decision by the weekend. Audi Canada will hopefully get back to me tomorrow
Old 03-09-2023, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup will do. My only concern is what Thomas brought up above which is, what happens if I buy a part that is then superceded? Will Audi actually catch up inventory wise in the next 3 months making stocking up pointless? That's what I'm navigating through but i'll make a decision by the weekend. Audi Canada will hopefully get back to me tomorrow
I'm afraid that Audi will not solve the problem quickly and what we see now is just only the peak of the iceberg. There are so many cars with BSG
My Audi technician said they don't really know what's causing the problem and they only suspect a software bug. Audi did not inform them whether the problem was finally resolved. There are owners on German Audi forums who had BSG replaced already 2-3 times.
It seems to me more like treating the symptoms of the disease than preventing it. As an owner of SQ8 with 48V BSG I am also very concerned about this issue.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm afraid that Audi will not solve the problem quickly and what we see now is just only the peak of the iceberg. There are so many cars with BSG
My Audi technician said they don't really know what's causing the problem and they only suspect a software bug. Audi did not inform them whether the problem was finally resolved. There are owners on German Audi forums who had BSG replaced already 2-3 times.
It seems to me more like treating the symptoms of the disease than preventing it. As an owner of SQ8 with 48V BSG I am also very concerned about this issue.
****!!! ****!!

2-3 times already?! This is absolutely crazy. I was just thinking about this the other day. AW has forum members that have had 1 failure and then things have been fine. I guess there is no solution.

This reminds me of the 2.0 TFSI (yes, TFSI, not TSI) engine back in the B7 A4 days. They used a flat tappet cam follower. Audi extended the warranty for 10 years or something, but never actually fixed the problem for that engine. They ended up swapping to a roller cam follower in the 2.0 TSI engine which fixed that problem.

Anybody with a 2.0L TFSI B7 Audi A4 owner today, still has that one $50 part that can shatter and then wreck the HPFP.

Maybe this BSG issue won't be solved...that is a possibility, after all.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

****!!! ****!!

2-3 times already?! This is absolutely crazy. I was just thinking about this the other day. AW has forum members that have had 1 failure and then things have been fine. I guess there is no solution.

This reminds me of the 2.0 TFSI (yes, TFSI, not TSI) engine back in the B7 A4 days. They used a flat tappet cam follower. Audi extended the warranty for 10 years or something, but never actually fixed the problem for that engine. They ended up swapping to a roller cam follower in the 2.0 TSI engine which fixed that problem.

Anybody with a 2.0L TFSI B7 Audi A4 owner today, still has that one $50 part that can shatter and then wreck the HPFP.

i would plan on it not being resolved. make ur ownership decision accordingly. if it were me i would buy a spare bsg to have on the ready. keep the proof of purchase. if audi supersedes the part if u know ur dealer they will probably let u turn it in for the improved part. what you get is assurance that ur car won’t be in the shop for months. that months long wait could be a thing of the past soon, or it could go on and on. Audi will reimburse u for the BSG if you end up using it in a repair. too me, if my car had a bsg, i would have order it with the price drop we saw about a month ago. it turns a potentially multi month wait into a 2 day deal.
angrypengu (03-09-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
i would plan on it not being resolved. make ur ownership decision accordingly. if it were me i would buy a spare bsg to have on the ready. keep the proof of purchase. if audi supersedes the part if u know ur dealer they will probably let u turn it in for the improved part. what you get is assurance that ur car won’t be in the shop for months. that months long wait could be a thing of the past soon, or it could go on and on. Audi will reimburse u for the BSG if you end up using it in a repair. too me, if my car had a bsg, i would have order it with the price drop we saw about a month ago. it turns a potentially multi month wait into a 2 day deal.
Yeah, all good points. I'll place the order today. Do you know when this latest "P" version came out?
Old 03-10-2023, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

****!!! ****!!

Look here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/rs6-...ight=rs6%3B48v
angrypengu (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow that was a depressing read. BSG ordered. I'm not playing this game of chicken with a part that takes a month to arrive. That's crazy.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Wow that was a depressing read. BSG ordered. I'm not playing this game of chicken with a part that takes a month to arrive. That's crazy.
At the same time, a case of re-breaking a 2nd time hasn't been reported here. I *think* we are primarily north american cars on here. It is possible that for some reason, the cars here in north america are not failing a 2nd time - I don't know what could account for this. We have explored the batteries, BSG units, and alternators. We haven't looked into the other 48 volt components - BUT the software update is to the BSG itself, which leads me to believe the problem is isolated within the BSG. Is it possible there is some other regional config value that runs the software there differently that causes re-failure? I just don't know. @retom and @Mrclopec might be able to better speculate as they are more advanced w config and finding the different hardware between regions that I am.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
At the same time, a case of re-breaking a 2nd time hasn't been reported here. I *think* we are primarily north american cars on here. It is possible that for some reason, the cars here in north america are not failing a 2nd time - I don't know what could account for this. We have explored the batteries, BSG units, and alternators. We haven't looked into the other 48 volt components - BUT the software update is to the BSG itself, which leads me to believe the problem is isolated within the BSG. Is it possible there is some other regional config value that runs the software there differently that causes re-failure? I just don't know. @retom and @Mrclopec might be able to better speculate as they are more advanced w config and finding the different hardware between regions that I am.
My bet is b/c over "there" the BSG kicks in way more often as their ICE engines turn off as they're coasting to a stop.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction