Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

has anyone verified that the alternator parts that are listed online are trhe same parts being replaced. In other words are they simply putttinng the same alternator back in? Some have discussed buying the alternator to speed up the repair at the shop, but it doesnt make sense there would be some in stock online and such a backup at audi.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
has anyone verified that the alternator parts that are listed online are trhe same parts being replaced. In other words are they simply putttinng the same alternator back in? Some have discussed buying the alternator to speed up the repair at the shop, but it doesnt make sense there would be some in stock online and such a backup at audi.
The BSGs going back in still have the issue - we haven't see any re-failures over here, but in europe they are seeing re-failures.

Maybe @angrypengu can share if he was able to get a BSG ordered? They gave angrypengu some resistance when he went to buy one - he is the only person I've seen try to buy one from an audi dealer. Too me, it would just be a first come first serve purchase. You'd be waiting months for your alternator to come in, just like someone with a car on the lot is waiting. The difference is, while you're waiting your car isn't broken and you are driving around.

In europe, and in the U.S. there are places that have original audi parts other than the dealer, I believe a couple other people over the past 2 years may have acquired a BSG outside of audi channels. I don't know how audi's distribution works, but it isn't controlled to just audi dealers. There are some parts that are dealer only, but that goes for all makes.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
The BSGs going back in still have the issue - we haven't see any re-failures over here, but in europe they are seeing re-failures.

Maybe @angrypengu can share if he was able to get a BSG ordered? They gave angrypengu some resistance when he went to buy one - he is the only person I've seen try to buy one from an audi dealer. Too me, it would just be a first come first serve purchase. You'd be waiting months for your alternator to come in, just like someone with a car on the lot is waiting. The difference is, while you're waiting your car isn't broken and you are driving around.

In europe, and in the U.S. there are places that have original audi parts other than the dealer, I believe a couple other people over the past 2 years may have acquired a BSG outside of audi channels. I don't know how audi's distribution works, but it isn't controlled to just audi dealers. There are some parts that are dealer only, but that goes for all makes.
I didn't buy from a dealer. I bought from a well known wholesaler and yes the order is in
Old 03-13-2023, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I didn't buy from a dealer. I bought from a well known wholesaler and yes the order is in
Awesome! I think it is awesome you are setting yourself up to have minimal down time! Did you also order the other bolts etc I see on the audi paper work? I don't think you'd have to wait for those, but I notice all the same part numbers on the paper work people have uploaded.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

That does sound like some good prevention
Old 03-13-2023, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That does sound like some good prevention
is your car in the shop for this issue currently?
Old 03-13-2023, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, but it's like driving something that you knownyou will be stranded sometime. Very uncomfortable amd very angry. My first experience with audi. And my last.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, but it's like driving something that you knownyou will be stranded sometime. Very uncomfortable amd very angry. My first experience with audi. And my last.
I get it. Is your car a Q8, SQ8, or RSQ8? Some SQ8 models do not have the BSG, and therefore, no issue.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Awesome! I think it is awesome you are setting yourself up to have minimal down time! Did you also order the other bolts etc I see on the audi paper work? I don't think you'd have to wait for those, but I notice all the same part numbers on the paper work people have uploaded.
Yup I ordered everything except for the coolant. My dealer confirmed they stock the coolant but nothing else!
Old 03-13-2023, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Yup I ordered everything except for the coolant. My dealer confirmed they stock the coolant but nothing else!
well...that's nice, do they stock oil too? teasing!
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction