Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my car back after 4 weeks. They changed the alternator/generator, car drives like butter again.
The following 2 users liked this post by udayp24:
ajmilan (10-19-2022), Sapphire3636@yahoo.com (12-13-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally brought the car in for my electrical system (Christmas tree lights) issue into Audi. Praying it won't be weeks for a fix. (Probably will be)

For context, I posted awhile ago my car shutdown while accelerating on the freeway doing about 70mph. Had to coast to the shoulder to safety. After a restart, I was able to operate the car as normal. Hasn't happened since but with all these stories I'm afraid it may happen again. Especially in inopportune times, like long road trips!
'22 RSQ8
Old 10-25-2022, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same Issue for me Q8 2021

Hi, I just stumbled upon this and am in the same boat. Broke down this week and Audi Oakville in Ontario diagnosed my car after 5 days. Same issue with 4-6 waiting for the part and they have no loaners!. I emailed Audi Canada to complain.
The following 2 users liked this post by babybu7:
angrypengu (10-26-2022), Charles Jacobina (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Does anyone know if the new parts have something different, so the failure won't re occur? Or are they just providing everyone new parts, with the same flaw, so the issue will occur again, later.
The following users liked this post:
Sapphire3636@yahoo.com (12-13-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Q8 update

My 19 Q8 was towed at to the dealer on October 7 here it is October 25 and I received a call from the dealer today. The car electrical system the generator has to be ordered and replaced. He doesn’t think that that part will come in until sometime in the middle of November. He also said that this is a top 25 issue for Audi nice to know that we’re in the top 25 with a car that is completely useless after only 60,000 miles. Luckily I was able to get a loaner car from Audi. I hope this one doesn’t have the same thing happened to it.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Charles Jacobina
My 19 Q8 was towed at to the dealer on October 7 here it is October 25 and I received a call from the dealer today. The car electrical system the generator has to be ordered and replaced. He doesn’t think that that part will come in until sometime in the middle of November. He also said that this is a top 25 issue for Audi nice to know that we’re in the top 25 with a car that is completely useless after only 60,000 miles. Luckily I was able to get a loaner car from Audi. I hope this one doesn’t have the same thing happened to it.
Makes you wonder what issues one thru 24 are...
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
angrypengu (10-26-2022), Charles Jacobina (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by suzygiac
I too have the same issue with my 2019 Q5, started just before the pandemic, with the auto brake engaging when backing a space with NOTHING around. Brought to the closed Audi dealer, told nothing wrong. Since the pandemic that and many other of the similar things (and more) listed below have occurred. Finally got into another dealer this am, only to be asked if I have emoji' si in my contacts as they can mess with system. And I am going tp be charged for the tech's time if its something "that stupid"???!!!!! Um where's the warning to audi owners that if you have emoji's in your contacts on your phones it will mess with the electrical system????!!!!!!!!!!! (if that's it). When I called Audi North America no one mentioned that as a possible issue. And we own various makes and models and NOT one has such an issue. Has anyone else been told this?? And if so - is Audi's electrical systems that bad that an emoji in a phone can mess with it???
Have you had any future problems after this malfunction?
Old 10-25-2022, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Does anyone know if the new parts have something different, so the failure won't re occur? Or are they just providing everyone new parts, with the same flaw, so the issue will occur again, later.
No idea but I assume it’s the same part which makes me nervous about owning this car I think after I get it back I’m going to trade it in
Old 10-25-2022, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No idea but I assume it’s the same part which makes me nervous about owning this car I think after I get it back I’m going to trade it in
You could ask. Seems like they should know, and it seems like a reasonable question. If you can get the part numbers from them for what they installed and if you look it up, it may show the prior part numbers for older versions of that part which could confirm the parts are different. They should also know the part numbers.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Dealer called me and it’s the converter for cost 2300
Hold on a minute. The issue isn't the BSG but the DC DC converter?!

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction