Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
we are talking @retom here, my guess is 98! can’t wait to see if i am right
I have 4.0 TDI with ABT tuning so use only V-Power Diesel. But for SQ8 TFSI I would recommend 98(EU) or 93 (US).
If we are going to continue this subject, I think that we should open a separate thread as this is here Electric System Malfunction thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
Mrclopec (03-16-2023), ThomasWShea (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I am sure they are rating the hp in some bogus way, where they are nuancing it, i.e. the "torque it adds, together with the engine, at some particular rpm range is like 6 to 18", not that the motor itself generates 6 to 18...that is just my guess. marketing b.s.
Nowhere in the Audi documents does it say that the Q8 BSG supports the engine with additional power.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Nowhere in the Audi documents does it say that the Q8 BSG supports the engine with additional power.
true, we talked about this before too. though the "typical" bsg 48 volt system does this, the one for the Q8 does not, near as we can tell. nothing is mentioned about this for any Q8. these solutions are custom designed to audi, and features can be removed an still meet the mild hybrid requirement.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
From a different thread on start stop. was wrong Kufatec was the dongle only and not supported after 2018. This is a hardware solution.
Has anyone tried this on our forum and confirm it works?
Old 03-16-2023, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry here is the link for the auto start stop component discussion:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...alled-3025762/
Old 03-16-2023, 02:02 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by retom

Maybe I’m reading this wrong? What are your thoughts on SSP 970293>Page 14>General Description?

“…As an electric motor, it can be used both as a starter and as a booster for the TFSI engine.”
Old 03-16-2023, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Maybe I’m reading this wrong? What are your thoughts on SSP 970293>Page 14>General Description?

“…As an electric motor, it can be used both as a starter and as a booster for the TFSI engine.”
Yes, I saw this. But this is for A8. There is no information anywhere in the marketing or technical materials that this is the case also with the Q8 models.
As a rule, manufacturers boast about it, and this is the case with MB or BMW with a 48V installation.
It also seems to me that it would be difficult for cars equipped with a capacitor instead of a battery.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I see what you are saying. The A8 is still, however, on the MLBevo platform and utilizes much of the same technology as other models within the same platform. When Audi releases the SSPs, it appears they release one for major changes, but not individually one for each separate model if they are all subject to the same major technological changes. This is why when you go into Erwin and request the tech literature on a Q8, it may give you the docs for a Q7, or if you request the drivers assistance systems self study program docs, it will give you the SSP on the A8.

the information on the BSG in that doc should be standard across that “technology”. There is even an MHEV video that goes into detail on how it operates, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 03-16-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by stonehill
that is a very good read, Thank you!! the one item I see that is off is the HP rating of the BSG. 6 to 18 is very excessive for its size. It is smaller than a 1hp 90V industrial motor. The way lower voltage would mean a lot more current and larger wire inside thus a bigger shell. Just for reference a 10hp 240v dc motor is over 2feet long. Sure it is not rated for continuous duty but it sure can be active a lot during rush hour in a big city. Do that on a 90+ degree day with no airflow. It would definitely get very hot. Maybe their TSB lowers the cycles to make it less aggressive, who knows. I am for sure going to hitting the disable button every time.
Let's not jump to speculations here. Those SSP docs have been around since the vehicles launched and I committed most to memory.

All BSG/ISGs are pushing about the same HP rating, and yet the ones made by Mercedes (yes, made by MB) for Mercedes vehicles have had a near 0 failure rate. Yes, the same HP numbers.

Also, they are not "vehicle" specific, but engine specific. Namely the engine for most SSPs are the EA839, which is a 3.0 TFSI engine used on the A8, 6, 7, Q8, etc.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
I see what you are saying. The A8 is still, however, on the MLBevo platform and utilizes much of the same technology as other models within the same platform. When Audi releases the SSPs, it appears they release one for major changes, but not individually one for each separate model if they are all subject to the same major technological changes. This is why when you go into Erwin and request the tech literature on a Q8, it may give you the docs for a Q7, or if you request the drivers assistance systems self study program docs, it will give you the SSP on the A8.
I was surprised by this what you posted. However, I still have to insist that nowhere in any documentation of the Q7/Q8 models have I seen even a word about BSG as supporting ICE. Even in couple of these car tests it was mentioned that this is a specific MHEV without ICE electric support.
Especially that in SQ8 where there is a capacitor, it is also technically rather unlikely. The ICE booster, like the electric compressor in the TDI, requires a continuous power supply which cannot be provided by a capacitor. The capacitor is enough to pulse power the starter or the roll stabilisation system, but it is not able to provide a stable current for a longer time.
It could be: 1/ Another secret of Audi. 2/ Audi has changed the BSG idea in new models as the dokument posted by you is from 2017/2018. 3/ We don't read this "boost" function properly and it is used only during the coasting:

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction