Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I was surprised by this what you posted. However, I still have to insist that nowhere in any documentation of the Q7/Q8 models have I seen even a word about BSG as supporting ICE. Even in couple of these car tests it was mentioned that this is a specific MHEV without ICE electric support.
Especially that in SQ8 where there is a capacitor, it is also technically rather unlikely. The ICE booster, like the electric compressor in the TDI, requires a continuous power supply which cannot be provided by a capacitor. The capacitor is enough to pulse power the starter or the roll stabilisation system, but it is not able to provide a stable current for a longer time.
It could be: 1/ Another secret of Audi. 2/ Audi has changed the BSG idea in new models as the dokument posted by you is from 2017/2018. 3/ We don't read this "boost" function properly and it is used only during the coasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDr2DF1YaoI
Let's maybe take a step back. The EA839 engine was produced to support P0 MHEV. P0 by definition includes a belt starter generator, and (IIRC) a 48V MHEV system to support auto SS, etc. The fact that this engine somehow exists without any mild hybrid drive is the exception and not the norm. The SCAP was a new wrinkle that no one thought would be a thing in 2017 when this engine was 'introduced' (not mass produced). But yes, from the ground up the EA839 is a P0 mild hybrid platform.

It is best to separate out a car model (Q8, Q7, etc) from the actual drivetrain. The former is just a metal shell, nothing more.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:45 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default This car caused a wreck and could have killed me!

Originally Posted by NJSRT
So today I received an error “Electric System Malfunction” message on the dash. Drone fine for the 5 minutes left in my drive. I turn it off, come back in an hour and the light is still there. There was a check engine light up top and the battery light at the bottom. After about 5 minutes of driving, I get a random rear light error message. Then, I get a system malfunction message, so a red warning light is on. Starting to look like Christmas again lol. At this point I started heading to a local dealer. But I didn’t make it. I noticed odd things like the auto start/stop not enabled. Then the speed sign sensor wasnt working, the car didn’t have much power, like limp mode, then the lane departure went, then the traction control system went, then the transmission something went. Whole ****ing electrical sent went. It told me to pull over slowly. I felt and heard a loud clunk as well. Of course I’ve pulled over by now. Called a local dealer, explained the situation, then I called Audi roadside to pick up the car. Tried to turn on the car when the tow truck was there, but the lights were doing some weird stuff. It rolled my driver side window down ??? Wtf. Anyways, tow guy was very cool and got it up on the truck. It’s at the dealer and hope to hear from them in the morning.

I’ve looked into the messages and I’m thinking it’s related to the 48 volt hybrid system in these cars. I think it’s worthless that they would implement this kind of technology in these cars. So unnecessary and more gimmicky.

just wanted to share my experience with you guys and I’ll keep you updated.
My 2019 Audi Q8 has been extremely reliable until the past month. Today, the car almost got me killed. I got essentially the same sequence of lights, errors, and faults while on Chicago’s Kennedy Expressway. I decided to drive to dealership. Unfortunately, it told me that I needed to pull over.

I start getting off the expressway and the car dies in the middle of an incredibly busy intersection—Irving Park Road—in front of the expressway off ramp at 9 AM. It started rolling backwards onto the expressway exit. I genuinely thought I was going to get hurt, if not killed. I called 911 before roadside because I knew sh** was going to go down.

Typical Chicago, people are blowing their horns at me and giving me dirty looks. One lady stopped and asked me if I needed gas. “No ma’am, unfortunately my Audi has decided that it’s zest for life matches mine.” Lol No one even bothered to help me push it out of the way.

I had thought the vehicle was off, but then it started vibrating violently. I turned it off. After trying to restart it several times, the cops came. As soon as the cops arrive, there is a rear end collision behind me. Praise be that I was not hit. Miraculously, it restarted and I got to limp it to a safer location. Audi roadside charged me $37.50 to tow to the dealer closest to my house “because it’s more than 6 miles away.” What!?!? I’m so upset and frustrated with all of this. I cannot believe this.
The following users liked this post:
khuprika (04-05-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Silver lining, the worst of ur experience is probably over. My experience is also that people lend zero help to people with nicer cars.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Picked mine up from the dealer about an hour ago. Rides so much nicer then the rental cars I was in. Parts Manager verified that mine is the liquid cooled version. So the new wait begins...
Old 03-17-2023, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Let's maybe take a step back. The EA839 engine was produced to support P0 MHEV. P0 by definition includes a belt starter generator, and (IIRC) a 48V MHEV system to support auto SS, etc. The fact that this engine somehow exists without any mild hybrid drive is the exception and not the norm. The SCAP was a new wrinkle that no one thought would be a thing in 2017 when this engine was 'introduced' (not mass produced). But yes, from the ground up the EA839 is a P0 mild hybrid platform.

It is best to separate out a car model (Q8, Q7, etc) from the actual drivetrain. The former is just a metal shell, nothing more.
I was confused by this too, but in my research, running the BSG to support the ICE is not required for the MHEV designation. I *think* they are just using it to produce 48 volt power and to warm start in the case of the Q8 and RSQ8 cars. We cannot find any evidence that proves they are using it to boost the engine.

If we could convince @retom to go to Dritev (https://www.vdiconference.com/dritev/) I bet we could get to the bottom of this!
Old 03-17-2023, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkIndy
Picked mine up from the dealer about an hour ago. Rides so much nicer then the rental cars I was in. Parts Manager verified that mine is the liquid cooled version. So the new wait begins...
When did yours go into the dealer and how long was it off the road? I'm on week 2 of driving a Hyundai Sonata...
Old 03-17-2023, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
When did yours go into the dealer and how long was it off the road? I'm on week 2 of driving a Hyundai Sonata...
typical time is 2 to 3 months. assume 3 months.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:26 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Silver lining, the worst of ur experience is probably over. My experience is also that people lend zero help to people with nicer cars.
I took delivery on 23 May 2019 and I have 43k miles. Fortunately, that means that I am still in my 4-year / 50k miles warranty period. What is the verdict on getting the VSC/extended warranty? Does anyone recommend a seller besides AudiUSA.com?
Old 03-17-2023, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
I took delivery on 23 May 2019 and I have 43k miles. Fortunately, that means that I am still in my 4-year / 50k miles warranty period. What is the verdict on getting the VSC/extended warranty? Does anyone recommend a seller besides AudiUSA.com?
You BSG is warranted for 7 years already. For the extended warranty, they are multiple companies you can buy from. However, the audi one is a Cadillac plan, includes everything anyone would want included and the deductible is pretty cheap. Some of the other warranties you'll really have to compare and get wise to do an apples to apples comparison. To do the extended warranty from audi, i think they need to inspect the car. Then you'll get a price for the warranty. It won't be cheap. If you buy it when you buy the car, you can roll it into the financing. If you buy it shortly after, maybe you can add it on to the financing. If you buy it much later, you have to just pay for it.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 03-17-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Well then: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...idiculous.html

These pompous S class holier then thou people, lol, I have no sympathy.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction