Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Well then: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...idiculous.html

These pompous S class holier then thou people, lol, I have no sympathy.
Yes I can tell, there was a very limited understanding of the 48 volt battery complexities in the thread. The BMS for any of these 48 volt batteries is complex, and the threshold between a fully charged health battery, and a failed non chargeable (dead) battery is just not much. You can't really let them sit around for 6 weeks like that one guy mentioned without a batter tender. These 48 volt systems are going to get better, but they are still learning what will meet the durability and usability in the real world.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:40 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I was surprised by this what you posted. However, I still have to insist that nowhere in any documentation of the Q7/Q8 models have I seen even a word about BSG as supporting ICE. Even in couple of these car tests it was mentioned that this is a specific MHEV without ICE electric support.
Especially that in SQ8 where there is a capacitor, it is also technically rather unlikely. The ICE booster, like the electric compressor in the TDI, requires a continuous power supply which cannot be provided by a capacitor. The capacitor is enough to pulse power the starter or the roll stabilisation system, but it is not able to provide a stable current for a longer time.
A supercapacitor is not a capacitor as an electronic component. A supercapacitor is the same battery, usually made using LiFePo4 technology, it just has such a marketing name SCAP. Yes, it has less capacity than the larger lithium-ion battery, but it's still a LiFePo4 battery, which has very similar characteristics to lithium-ion.

Last edited by a75; 03-18-2023 at 04:51 AM.
BRITinUS (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Still unclear why you would be able to order a BSG yet its 2-3 months in the shop? Why cant Audi get them faster or are these online inventories BS?
Old 03-18-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
When did yours go into the dealer and how long was it off the road? I'm on week 2 of driving a Hyundai Sonata...
Went to dealer sometime in January. The SA said they are getting all the parts they need now. Audi Indianapolis said they no longer have a backlog of cars waiting on parts. Parts are coming in within a week of being ordered now.
SoundsoftheSuburbs (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by a75
A supercapacitor is not a capacitor as an electronic component. A supercapacitor is the same battery, usually made using LiFePo4 technology, it just has such a marketing name SCAP. Yes, it has less capacity than the larger lithium-ion battery, but it's still a LiFePo4 battery, which has very similar characteristics to lithium-ion.
The supercapacitors could be described as a bridge between the electrolytic capacitor and rechargeable batteries. They supply energy fast, recharge fast and their life is much longer than the batteries. As far as I know, the SCAP installed in SQ8 is not a "pure" battery, it i a hybrid type of supercapacitor which contains elements of a lithium-ion battery. That is why this type of SCAP is ideal to supply roll stabilisation or starters.
Butt to supply the electric compressors in TDI or even to support ICE for a long time there is still a need of battery which will last a long time at constant voltage.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
typical time is 2 to 3 months. assume 3 months.
5 months and still waiting in my case... part still on back order with no ETA according to my dealer and Audi UK.. shambles.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooogie!
5 months and still waiting in my case... part still on back order with no ETA according to my dealer and Audi UK.. shambles.
i should have qualified my statement with “in US”
Old 03-18-2023, 05:58 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I CANNOT be stuck with this A5 for "months"! I was planning to sell my Q8, ideally within the next few weeks!
Old 03-18-2023, 05:59 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
Still unclear why you would be able to order a BSG yet its 2-3 months in the shop? Why cant Audi get them faster or are these online inventories BS?
Dealers have started putting allocations on their websites instead of actual vehicles. At least, they definitely have been doing that in the Chicago area.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by a75
Whoa, this is huge if in fact true (I'm not doubting). Can you please cite where a SCAP is now LiFePO4?

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction