Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It took nearly 3 years for the 2019s to start showing signs of mass failures in 2022. It may take another 3 years to hear about cars experiencing failures for a second time.
So, I was just at my dealer for my 20K Audicare Service. I had a long chat with the Service Advisor about the whole BSG blowing up issue, here is what he had to say (keep in mind, this is one dealer service person's opinion / observations):
  1. This does not appear to be a time-based issue - he mentioned 2 different 2023 vehicles (a Q7 and a Q8) that had the BSG failure between 1-3 days after being bought brand new and driven off of the lot.
  2. He has not seen any SQ7 or SQ8 models affected - only Q7/Q8 and RS Q8
  3. They currently have little to no backlog of vehicles awaiting parts.
  4. The software update does NOT (according to him) mitigate the issue, it just provides more of an earlier warning and gives the owner time to get the vehicle in for service instead of dying on the side of the road within 10 minutes. He did not say how much longer, but just longer.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkIndy
Went to dealer sometime in January. The SA said they are getting all the parts they need now. Audi Indianapolis said they no longer have a backlog of cars waiting on parts. Parts are coming in within a week of being ordered now.
Jesus. Did they put you in an Audi loaner or rental?
Old 03-24-2023, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
So, I was just at my dealer for my 20K Audicare Service. I had a long chat with the Service Advisor about the whole BSG blowing up issue, here is what he had to say (keep in mind, this is one dealer service person's opinion / observations):
  1. This does not appear to be a time-based issue - he mentioned 2 different 2023 vehicles (a Q7 and a Q8) that had the BSG failure between 1-3 days after being bought brand new and driven off of the lot.
  2. He has not seen any SQ7 or SQ8 models affected - only Q7/Q8 and RS Q8
  3. They currently have little to no backlog of vehicles awaiting parts.
  4. The software update does NOT (according to him) mitigate the issue, it just provides more of an earlier warning and gives the owner time to get the vehicle in for service instead of dying on the side of the road within 10 minutes. He did not say how much longer, but just longer.
2 makes sense because in the US SQ8 has no BSG. My guess is neither does the SQ7. In other regions however there are SQ8 cars with the BSG. we know from retom’s sources that the software fix isn’t a “fix”. good to hear that from another source in the US too.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
So, I was just at my dealer for my 20K Audicare Service. I had a long chat with the Service Advisor about the whole BSG blowing up issue, here is what he had to say (keep in mind, this is one dealer service person's opinion / observations)
  1. The software update does NOT (according to him) mitigate the issue, it just provides more of an earlier warning and gives the owner time to get the vehicle in for service instead of dying on the side of the road within 10 minutes. He did not say how much longer, but just longer.
Interesting. I recall a case (n=1) on this forum where a member updated the BSG software, and then it died like right after
Old 03-25-2023, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
Jesus. Did they put you in an Audi loaner or rental?
They provided me a rental from day one. Just wondering if the parts truly were manufactured in Ukraine? Heard that somewhere and can't remember where. Sucks getting old...LOL
Old 03-25-2023, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

They provided me a rental from day one. Just wondering if the parts truly were manufactured in Ukraine? Heard that somewhere and can't remember where. Sucks getting old...LOL
I went into the Indy Audi last week for the 40K service and recalls on my A7 and they gave me a choice of 3 different new Audi's for a loaner for 3 days. I took a Q5. As others said, at least about Indianapolis Audi, no wait on BSG fixes.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The BSG is made by vitesco / continental in Hungry.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
The BSG is made by vitesco / continental in Hungry.
I'm Hungry too, but I think you meant Hungary
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm Hungry too, but I think you meant Hungary
yes i'm a stupid american - i admit it
Old 03-26-2023, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2 months later….

….got my 2019 Q8 back with the repair fully completed. They detailed the car for my inconvenience (did a nice job too!).

No charge for repair and they reimbursed me $60/day for the rental I had to get due to no loaners.

Drove the car 250 miles today, seems fine.

Car was in the shop exactly two months.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction