Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's an interesting quote that you surfaced. I agree with you that it's most likely not the definition that we think about which is why the EA839 torque and HP figures do not take into account the boost provided by the BSG. This is unlike ISG applications, specifically, IIRC. When I think about plug in hybrids as an example, it very clearly will indicate ICE and e"boost" figures. So basically the SSP isn't even entirely consistent throughout which is exactly like all of the other SSPs provided by Audi since the dawn of mankind

From what I see on OBD11, the boost is actually very very consistent, and generally speaking "max" boost occurs in between gear changes and specifically at low RPM. The other time I see it at max boost for reasons I cannot explain is on the highway at coast....(yeah, I don't get it.)

Situation #1 makes sense. Car needs to get going, BSG gives it a boost. Switch from Gear 1-> Gear 2, BSG gives it a boost, then the ICE engine takes over.

In any event, the BSG torque (duration and amount) is so miniscule that it's irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, I facking hate all of this 48V garbage. It's all just a waste of space, money, and time.
I think all these cases you describe make sense, including the hwy coasting. my thinking is that on the hwy, when you coast, the bsg keeps the engine spinning. i wonder if it knows anything about the cruise control? like if cruise control is on or off, does the bsg do the same thing during hwy coasting? very generally, and simply, i *think* the bsg just keeps the engine spinning during gear shifts and certain coasting events so the combustion can be stopped w/o any noticeable effect during those events. maybe "keeps the engine spinning" isn't the right way to describe it - maybe it is more like the bsg "spins the engine up " to some rpm just before each restart.

edit:
@angrypengu I was thinking about this more. Is there something that tells us more exactly what happens during these use cases? (other than the marketing videos that show the cameras, and other sensors used) There has got to be something more detailed out there - just not sure if we'd have access to it. I am thinking of 3 things. ICE stop process, ICE start process and what is happening during the time between the stop and start. I would be curious to know what is going on. I assume there is a balance of clutch and rpm adjustment during both the stop and start. I wonder if the start or the stop is harder on the BSG? We know the transistors end up damaged, so I searched "what causes a transistor to fail" and saw this:

Do you know if there is a way to monitor the BSG temperature? I assume the voltage within the circuit where the transistors reside is not accessible to us. Circling back to if someone was able to take a closer look at this board - I wonder if they'd be able to comment on the quality of the individual components for the application? Is this electronics board within the BSG well designed and built with better components, or, is it somewhat sub part? Too me if you the see transistors dying, the same ones, across many units, something is consistently happening to cause that. It seems like if it was something somewhat minor that audi/vitesco/continental could do to the board to fix it, they'd have done it by now. This makes me thing it might be a more systemic design problem where the BSG just gets too hot or can't regulate the power for the onboard electronics like it should.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 04-03-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuck
….got my 2019 Q8 back with the repair fully completed. They detailed the car for my inconvenience (did a nice job too!).

No charge for repair and they reimbursed me $60/day for the rental I had to get due to no loaners.

Drove the car 250 miles today, seems fine.

Car was in the shop exactly two months.
Congratulations! I'm on week 5 of my 2019 Q8 at the dealer. Was in a Hyundai rental because dealer claimed they had no loaners. After a bit of follow up and persistence with the service manager, finally got them to switch me into a 2023 Q5. It's not Q8, but at least it makes me feel somewhat better for the monthly car payment I'm making. As I picked up the Q5 some other poor Q8 owner was just getting his towed in. I think that makes 5 Q8's at the dealership now (plus whatever else they have in with same issue). Dealer has no update on when parts are coming in. Overheard the sales manager telling the other guy that Audi are offering a $6500CAD credit towards new car for inconvenience if people want to trade? I just want my Q8 fixed.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, the credit is just not a good deal. down here in the states it’s 5g. you would take an absolute bath. only way it makes sense if if you were planning to trade in and take a bath anyway. even then i would press for a hell of a lot more that the credit. plus, last i checked, are there even many Q8 cars around to buy? answer is no if ur at all picking about color combo and packages.
The following users liked this post:
campingmanbc (04-07-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety tips?

For those who haven’t experienced this stay safe..

are there any prior warning signs that this malfunction is about to happen?

If you are on highway/busy road and see this issue, how long does the car keep going? Do you try to drive to dealership or immediately pull over to a safe spot away from traffic?

what are out of pocket costs if out of warranty? How is the parts availability looking like?
Old 04-05-2023, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does this issue exist with 2019+ models? Are 2018 models safe since i believe they dont have the 48V….
Old 04-06-2023, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by khuprika
Does this issue exist with 2019+ models? Are 2018 models safe since i believe they dont have the 48V….
there are no 2018 Q8 cars.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by khuprika
For those who haven’t experienced this stay safe..

are there any prior warning signs that this malfunction is about to happen?

If you are on highway/busy road and see this issue, how long does the car keep going? Do you try to drive to dealership or immediately pull over to a safe spot away from traffic?

what are out of pocket costs if out of warranty? How is the parts availability looking like?
the car gives warnings and lights. if it were me, i would pull over and have the car towed. some cars run for a day or so after first signs, some die with in a couple mins. audi extended the warranty for this for 7 years, at least in the US, and i think canada. UK is screwed so far, no warranty extension there. assume 2 month wait for the parts. most cars have taken two to three months to be repaired. however, recently the timeline seems to be improving.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
there are no 2018 Q8 cars.
Hi Shea, I read that this is also an issue with 2019 A6. Is that not the case? I was looking to go a little over my budget to get the used 2019 A6 but after looking through this I might just settle for the 2018 A6 as its cheaper and maybe more reliable?
Old 04-06-2023, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, @angry @shea any idea what % of 2019 cars are affected? Is this a one off and i might get lucky and not experience this issue or its more widespread than that?
Old 04-06-2023, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i haven’t followed the issue on the A6. If it has the BSG, you can always car by car see if it has been fixed already. audi should have records. As far and a percentage, I don’t know. I would say assume it can happen if you get a car w the BSG - it is fairly wide spread. If the 2018 has no bsg then this issue is off the table.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction