Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
News as of yesterday, another firm has filed a lawsuit against audi, and beat the original firm discussed above to the punch - I am working to see who the firm that filed is and I will follow up.
Appreciated. That would be great. I did contact the other firm, but heard nothing
Old 04-30-2023, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
After almost 2 months to the day my dealership called Friday to say repair done and fuel pump recall also done. Pick up Monday. Can’t wait to get it back
picked it up Sunday. Feels nice to be back in my Q8 finally

Old 05-01-2023, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

So what's breaking on these things?

Read the YouTube video description:
Old 05-01-2023, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@angrypengu yeah, i stumbled across that product and video in late Jan. early Feb. I was also intrigued at the time that there was a specific set of test equipment - and what you ask is the million dollar question. It seems like someone *might* be able to figure it out, if we could get ahold of some broken units, and have someone check the boards. @retom reports that it's transistors that explode. An electrical engineer might have some insight looking at the board. But I think the best information still points toward software being a factor too. It seems like the hardware adjustment could be made to prevent the failure, but theoretically, you'd want to fix the software - assuming that the root cause is somewhere in the software.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-01-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@angrypengu yeah, i stumbled across that product and video in late Jan. early Feb. I was also intrigued at the time that there was a specific set of test equipment - and what you ask is the million dollar question. It seems like someone *might* be able to figure it out, if we could get ahold of some broken units, and have someone check the boards. @retom reports that it's transistors that explode. An electrical engineer might have some insight looking at the board. But I think the best information still points toward software being a factor too. It seems like the hardware adjustment could be made to prevent the failure, but theoretically, you'd want to fix the software - assuming that the root cause is somewhere in the software.
I think the fault with the software is that it doesn't warn you or try to better protect the battery from fully discharging when something is wrong and by the time you get any warnings it's too late, the battery is well drained. I think the root cause is some component in the generator or its control module, I'm sure continental will eventually find the root cause, but they will keep a tight lip about it.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Audi Logic
I think the fault with the software is that it doesn't warn you or try to better protect the battery from fully discharging when something is wrong and by the time you get any warnings it's too late, the battery is well drained. I think the root cause is some component in the generator or its control module, I'm sure continental will eventually find the root cause, but they will keep a tight lip about it.
My money based on the failures that we're seeing is that the root cause is the SS system. Mainly all of the start/stop is slowly killing these units. The resolution is to disable SS which would then cause Audi to fail all of the environmental regs so all they can do is to continue to replace the BSG. Otherwise Audi would have already disabled SS but given dieselgate...

Old 05-08-2023, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
My money based on the failures that we're seeing is that the root cause is the SS system. Mainly all of the start/stop is slowly killing these units. The resolution is to disable SS which would then cause Audi to fail all of the environmental regs so all they can do is to continue to replace the BSG. Otherwise Audi would have already disabled SS but given dieselgate...
I disengage the start stop as a matter of habit every time I get in the car, just in case your comment is valid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jdsengineer:
angrypengu (05-08-2023), g8rbait (05-09-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Headline on page 1, section 2 in the WSJ this morning (May 8). "VW to Replace Top Software Executives". VW/Porsche/Audi elected to do software on their own rather than enlist help from the tech industry. "The launch of VW's first all electric model built on in-house EV technology in 2019 was marred by glitchy software. Instead of delaying the launch again, VW decided to release the vehicle with an incomplete software package".

Let's see; 2019, the same year my Q8 was produced, with all it's defects, including the auto stop/start fiasco and the buggy MMI that to this day takes as long as 45 seconds to initialize (never mind that it sometimes initializes instantaneously). This confirms what I've said ever since buying the car. Audi (VW) is no good at software. I've got to believe the alternator mess is in the middle of this. What a shame that otherwise terrific cars are handicapped by software and the "go it alone" attitude at VW. This exactly how VW got into the diesel mess. Rather than follow the industry using DEF to limit emissions, they said they could develop their own technology. We all know how that ended.

Steve
ajmilan (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
Headline on page 1, section 2 in the WSJ this morning (May 8). "VW to Replace Top Software Executives". VW/Porsche/Audi elected to do software on their own rather than enlist help from the tech industry. "The launch of VW's first all electric model built on in-house EV technology in 2019 was marred by glitchy software. Instead of delaying the launch again, VW decided to release the vehicle with an incomplete software package".

Let's see; 2019, the same year my Q8 was produced, with all it's defects, including the auto stop/start fiasco and the buggy MMI that to this day takes as long as 45 seconds to initialize (never mind that it sometimes initializes instantaneously). This confirms what I've said ever since buying the car. Audi (VW) is no good at software. I've got to believe the alternator mess is in the middle of this. What a shame that otherwise terrific cars are handicapped by software and the "go it alone" attitude at VW. This exactly how VW got into the diesel mess. Rather than follow the industry using DEF to limit emissions, they said they could develop their own technology. We all know how that ended.

Steve
To be fair, Steve, the BSG shenanigans is a supplier issue (Continental). The MMI bootup times can be significantly cut by removing profiles from the system using OBD11. I believe this can be done in the stock head unit as well.
ajmilan (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Granted, a supplier issue, but VW chose the vendor and has to be responsible. As for profiles, we have only two programmed. Early on I'd heard that having lots of profiles and short cuts programmed had an impact, but at one point I eliminated both profiles and all short cuts.....to no effect.

All car manufacturers make mistakes, but it's how they handle them that counts. Audi took forever to acknowledge and fix the auto S/S problem, and we all know the sad tale of the alternator. Our car has a "growel" when the steering is at or near lock. I'm told by this forum that's a long standing Audi issue, but they won't fix my car. As much as I like the Q8 (when it behaves), I'd be hard pressed to buy another. We once had an Acura TL that ate automatic trannys on a regular basis. After 3 failed, I asked Acura for a buyout and we came to a generous agreement in a couple weeks. That's how to take care of a customer. Audi seems perpetually in the "stonewall" mode.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction