Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 938 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
Granted, a supplier issue, but VW chose the vendor and has to be responsible. As for profiles, we have only two programmed. Early on I'd heard that having lots of profiles and short cuts programmed had an impact, but at one point I eliminated both profiles and all short cuts.....to no effect.

All car manufacturers make mistakes, but it's how they handle them that counts. Audi took forever to acknowledge and fix the auto S/S problem, and we all know the sad tale of the alternator. Our car has a "growel" when the steering is at or near lock. I'm told by this forum that's a long standing Audi issue, but they won't fix my car. As much as I like the Q8 (when it behaves), I'd be hard pressed to buy another. We once had an Acura TL that ate automatic trannys on a regular basis. After 3 failed, I asked Acura for a buyout and we came to a generous agreement in a couple weeks. That's how to take care of a customer. Audi seems perpetually in the "stonewall" mode.
If you think Audi is bad, you should see how S class owners are being treated now, or how the LS500 is a complete joke reliability wise these days. Sure, no cars are perfect, but these are all mainstream cars.

I don't often talk about my Ghost on here b/c, well, that's rude, but as an owner now I can totally see how mainstream and bespoke car brands treat their clientele differently. Don't get me wrong, Audi treats me very well, but I certainly have reasonable expectations which is to state, these are also the makers of an A3.

It is laudable that Acura did right by you, but I don't just seem to understand why on mainstream car forums there is such an elevated expectation by car brands. Audi's BSG issue is a total farce, but at least they extended the warranty pretty quickly. Audi is far more proactive with this issue than with serious issues in the last 15 years, right down to the total **** poor communication/support of the flat tappet cam follower issue in the original 2.0 FSI engine.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
My money based on the failures that we're seeing is that the root cause is the SS system. Mainly all of the start/stop is slowly killing these units. The resolution is to disable SS which would then cause Audi to fail all of the environmental regs so all they can do is to continue to replace the BSG. Otherwise Audi would have already disabled SS but given dieselgate...
Yes, the root cause is probably SS system but this based on 48V BSG. These cars as SQ8 with 12V alternator have no problem with it. In older models (before MY2020) it was possible to disable SS via coding . In new models the only solution to disable SS is the Chinese module but installation is more complicated and may void the warranty if discovered by Audi.
BTW Mercedes has also huge problem with 48V systems and ISG in their cars but in their case this problem is connected with 48V battery which suddenly dies and also totally immobilizes the car.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by retom
Yes, the root cause is probably SS system but this based on 48V BSG. These cars as SQ8 with 12V alternator have no problem with it. In older models (before MY2020) it was possible to disable SS via coding . In new models the only solution to disable SS is the Chinese module but installation is more complicated and may void the warranty if discovered by Audi.
BTW Mercedes has also huge problem with 48V systems and ISG in their cars but in their case this problem is connected with 48V battery which suddenly dies and also totally immobilizes the car.
Agreed on all fronts though SS in the 12V architecture is vastly different and less complicated than the 48V BSG shenanigans
Old 05-08-2023, 10:30 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
As for profiles, we have only two programmed. Early on I'd heard that having lots of profiles and short cuts programmed had an impact, but at one point I eliminated both profiles and all short cuts.....to no effect.
It makes no sense to disable profiles through UI, you need to disable the profile system via OBD11
Old 05-08-2023, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

For the record, it isn't Continental, Vitesco Technologies is the Continental Powertrain break off. It's Vitesco now. I would be curious if the current alternators being produced have the Continental logo anymore. Originally it was just Continental, then both logos were present - but now that Vitesco is completely separate, I assume the Continental logo is no more on the part.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there still a major backlog?

For people who dropped their cars off to dealership for the Electric System Malfuction in March and April, have any of you gotten your car back yet? Dealer ordered my part on 04/26 and I'm wondering what recent wait times have been.
The update I received from my service advisor today was as follows: "Usually these take anywhere from 15-30 days to arrive. I did check with my parts department & currently your order shows "backorder" no expected delivery date."

Old 05-09-2023, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@Bgtron there were a few reports of 2 weeks but it didn’t seem like a larger trend. If it were me I would still plan on a couple months. Sounds like ur SA is saying about a month for the part. If you have your car by June that would be considered fast based on the pattern of 2 months.

For anyone else, the path to guaranteeing no wait is to buy a BSG and the parts needed for the repair now, so when your car dies you will only be down a day or so.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@Bgtron there were a few reports of 2 weeks but it didn’t seem like a larger trend. If it were me I would still plan on a couple months. Sounds like ur SA is saying about a month for the part. If you have your car by June that would be considered fast based on the pattern of 2 months.

For anyone else, the path to guaranteeing no wait is to buy a BSG and the parts needed for the repair now, so when your car dies you will only be down a day or so.
Why not replace the BSG now if the pending failure causes so much anxiety?
Old 05-10-2023, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by oleaudi
Why not replace the BSG now if the pending failure causes so much anxiety?
I guess my thinking is since it is a case with unpredictable premature failure, better to use the part initially installed until it actually dies, then put in a replacement. If the failure happened predictably at a certain milage or time point, preemptive replacement would make more sense. Also the replacement part doesn’t fix the root cause so even with the replacement it is just a matter of when the failure occurs again - so to me you don’t gain much by swapping in a new part before the existing part fails. The risk of failure will remain even once u replace the bsg until the root cause is found. in my eyes what I would try to do is minimize down time by having a replacement on hand until the root cause is found.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-10-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Call me crazy:

Am I reading too much into this? We see a whole slew of forum posts about this BSG issue when it's cold out/winter, and it seems to just 'stop' as the weather warms up.

Coincidence?

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction