Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Call me crazy:

Am I reading too much into this? We see a whole slew of forum posts about this BSG issue when it's cold out/winter, and it seems to just 'stop' as the weather warms up.

Coincidence?
Your theory may make sense. The BSG failures seem to be related to the start/stop system. In the summer, when the air conditioning is working, the s/s system turns on much less often to not overload on the electrical system. Maybe this is the reason?
BTW. Have you received your spare BSG yet?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Your theory may make sense. The BSG failures seem to be related to the start/stop system. In the summer, when the air conditioning is working, the s/s system turns on much less often to not overload on the electrical system. Maybe this is the reason?
BTW. Have you received your spare BSG yet?
my sales guy told me that it was an issue with the cooling system of the BSG. But the tech said it was an issue with condensation getting into the housing and causing a short.

either way, it’s 100% related to the cold, and the parts, to my knowledge, haven’t been redesigned.
The following 2 users liked this post by weever:
angrypengu (05-17-2023), ThomasWShea (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Have you received your spare BSG yet?
Oh yes, many many weeks ago! https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post25803159
Old 05-17-2023, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thanks. I am not following A8 forums. So you've now expanded the Preppers team
But seriously, it is interesting that you can order and receive the BSG from the Audi shop almost immediately when people have to wait weeks for it's replacement by dealers. It doesn't make sense for me.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I am not following A8 forums. So you've now expanded the Preppers team
But seriously, it is interesting that you can order and receive the BSG from the Audi shop almost immediately when people have to wait weeks for it's replacement by dealers. It doesn't make sense for me.
To be fair even Audi was wondering how I got it so quickly. To be transparent though I bought a new part from a wholesaler. Audi was also surprised I didn't get a remanufactured part because a lot of Audi's supply for repairs is not with brand new parts!

Credit goes to the wholesaler!
retom (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by weever
my sales guy told me that it was an issue with the cooling system of the BSG. But the tech said it was an issue with condensation getting into the housing and causing a short.

either way, it’s 100% related to the cold, and the parts, to my knowledge, haven’t been redesigned.
What evidence did the tech have, if any?

We know the transistors blow on the BSG board because there are pictures and reports of this happening on the other side of the pond but if condensation was a significant contributing factor it seems like a person could remove the board from a BSG, epoxy coat it, and reinstall.

I also wonder how could the designers could have over looked condensation / temperature as we've had electronics in the engine bay forever now?

Old 05-17-2023, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My SA told me it was with the liquid cooling also on bsg
Old 05-17-2023, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by weever

I am afraid this is your sales guy just a pure speculation. The problem with BSG is known at least for 2 years and is still not solved by Audi as it also appears in new cars. This is a very costly problem for Audi, affecting many models with BSG and seriously damaging to the brand's reputation. If they really knew what was causing this glitch, they would have corrected it a long time ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
angrypengu (05-17-2023), ThomasWShea (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
What evidence did the tech have, if any?

We know the transistors blow on the BSG board because there are pictures and reports of this happening on the other side of the pond but if condensation was a significant contributing factor it seems like a person could remove the board from a BSG, epoxy coat it, and reinstall.

I also wonder how could the designers could have over looked condensation / temperature as we've had electronics in the engine bay forever now?
I wouldn't put it past the geniuses at Audi and their suppliers for something as asinine as this

Let's take a short history class shall we?

Remember the 2.0 TFSI in the B7 A4? Yes, let's use a flat tappet cam follower so the HPFP will punch a hole through it and cause a $4k bill. And, let's redesign it not by using a roller cam but by adding new "harder" materials on the flat tappet cam follower .

Remember the B7 RS4? Let's completely f*** up the PCV design and let the engine develop cancer by way of serious intake valve carbon buildup (because air oil separators are for chumps!)...and when pressed by consumers just completely ignore it and pretend it's a "not using top tier gas BS"

I still haven't gotten to dieselgate!!

All of this to state, I don't put it past Audi to be idiotic when it comes to this stuff
ThomasWShea (05-18-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hear me out on this one...and maybe laugh a little if you think i'm crazy.

My brain doesn't like problems that don't have solutions so I was thinking what may cause what could be a higher rate of failure for BSGs in the winter. If it *is* condensation as a root cause, then hear me out.

What if the root cause is something like a hot car on a cold day going through an automatic car wash. Think about it - all of that salt, water, steam, all at once causes a significant amount of condensation. If you've ever been to a car wash tunnel in the winter, you may recall massive amounts of steam in the entrance and exit.

So to those of you who have had BSG failures, is there *any* correlation between time of car wash in the winter and failure of the BSG?
retom (05-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction