Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

@campingmanbc what is so interesting about audi canada handing over 1200CAD with relatively little effort to me is that it let's us know they know they are in pretty deep s*** with all this. I emailed the lawyer down in the the States that I think formally filed the lawsuit with audi and I'm waiting to hear back from them before I post details here. I would think the lawyers will pay someone to do a valuation - and they will come up with a value per day??? who knows. Just playing around, and came up with 1650, but that's not going to be a true number because a car is a depreciating asset. Also - they are going to press for some other amount more to account for the risk of driving a car that could become a danger if it just goes belly up.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 05-24-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. New member here and looking for guidance from this expert group (after reading all 91 pages of this thread).

Our A6 just encountered the string of issues this past weekend while on vacation. We had to have the car towed out to the nearest dealership in Reno, NV and dropped off after-hours on a holiday weekend. I'd appreciate any guidance that y'all have to share on how to interact with the dealership (more info on the potential "uniqueness" of this).

- Currently, the vehicle is about 300 miles from us. We had to get it towed, rent a car, and get back home. If we can get the dealer to give us a loaner, that'd be great, but we're looking at a massively long round trip (600 miles round trip) just to get it assuming the service takes a while.
- Our primary dealership literally serviced the car less than 10 days before the incident. We had two recalls performed. One of which was 20DN2022-03-18 for Fuel Level Sender. During this recall, the notes show that they "performed steps to activate / deactivate 48 volt system ..... attached battery maintainer". Based on this, it looks like they directly updated or modified the hybrid system which appears to be at the heart of the failure. The car was issue free up until this service.
- Is there any possibility that the recall service is to blame for causing this incident? If so, how would we go about handling this across the two dealerships?

The vehicle is a 2019 A6 purchased in Jan 2019, 31k miles. It just passed the 4 year warranty mark (although we have one of the scheduled maintenance plans that's good until 2024). I read that we're now covered for "7 years / unlimited miles" on this, so hopefully the actual service / repair is covered, but we're still out of pocket for the towing (almost $1k), and the rental car which we had to pick up from the airport.

What advice would you provide on interacting with the dealer that has the vehicle and the dealer that performed the recall service? Are there questions that we should be asking to try to determine fault? If there is reasonable suspicion of fault, do we go to AoA? The original recall service dealer? Would the current dealer mitigate on our behalf?

And finally.... Now that this issue has happened, any tips on what to do about our 2019 Q8 (purchased about the same time) to determine if this failure might be imminent? I see that many of you are getting OBD diagnostics -- I haven't done any of that, so if that's a way to go, are there recommendations on equipment / software? Or are there things we should ask the dealer to verify after any service, especially since we will have to drive the A6 home once the repair is done
Old 05-31-2023, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2019Audi
Hi all. New member here and looking for guidance from this expert group (after reading all 91 pages of this thread).

Our A6 just encountered the string of issues this past weekend while on vacation. We had to have the car towed out to the nearest dealership in Reno, NV and dropped off after-hours on a holiday weekend. I'd appreciate any guidance that y'all have to share on how to interact with the dealership (more info on the potential "uniqueness" of this).

- Currently, the vehicle is about 300 miles from us. We had to get it towed, rent a car, and get back home. If we can get the dealer to give us a loaner, that'd be great, but we're looking at a massively long round trip (600 miles round trip) just to get it assuming the service takes a while.
- Our primary dealership literally serviced the car less than 10 days before the incident. We had two recalls performed. One of which was 20DN2022-03-18 for Fuel Level Sender. During this recall, the notes show that they "performed steps to activate / deactivate 48 volt system ..... attached battery maintainer". Based on this, it looks like they directly updated or modified the hybrid system which appears to be at the heart of the failure. The car was issue free up until this service.
- Is there any possibility that the recall service is to blame for causing this incident? If so, how would we go about handling this across the two dealerships?

The vehicle is a 2019 A6 purchased in Jan 2019, 31k miles. It just passed the 4 year warranty mark (although we have one of the scheduled maintenance plans that's good until 2024). I read that we're now covered for "7 years / unlimited miles" on this, so hopefully the actual service / repair is covered, but we're still out of pocket for the towing (almost $1k), and the rental car which we had to pick up from the airport.

What advice would you provide on interacting with the dealer that has the vehicle and the dealer that performed the recall service? Are there questions that we should be asking to try to determine fault? If there is reasonable suspicion of fault, do we go to AoA? The original recall service dealer? Would the current dealer mitigate on our behalf?

And finally.... Now that this issue has happened, any tips on what to do about our 2019 Q8 (purchased about the same time) to determine if this failure might be imminent? I see that many of you are getting OBD diagnostics -- I haven't done any of that, so if that's a way to go, are there recommendations on equipment / software? Or are there things we should ask the dealer to verify after any service, especially since we will have to drive the A6 home once the repair is done
i would get audi to move the car to your dealer. don’t spend a dime. as far as a loner or audi paying for a rental either dealer can do that but going 300 miles to get a loaner and then 300 miles to pick the car up seems like a huge hassle. if u spend the money to move the car yourself it should be about 700$ or so. if you do that, fight audi to get reimbursed i am pretty sure you will get that money back, even if you have to wait for a while. 700$ to not take two 600 mile round trips seems worth it imo.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Electric system malfunction 2019 Q8

Just got the electric system malfunction error followed by a start stop malfunction error. Tried calling Audi service (error message told me to call service) and no service advisors available to get on phone at either location in Austin area. I was trying to determine if car was safe to drive. Based on this thread I don’t think it is. However, the woman answering the phone told me to drive to dealership so they could run codes on it. I told her I didn’t think it was safe and she said they couldn’t give me advice on the phone. I will also add that my car has 51k miles on it so warranty just expired. Anyone have any luck getting it covered that close to warranty expiring? Any luck with Audi recognizing this is a known issue? Appreciate any advice.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoliver117
Just got the electric system malfunction error followed by a start stop malfunction error. Tried calling Audi service (error message told me to call service) and no service advisors available to get on phone at either location in Austin area. I was trying to determine if car was safe to drive. Based on this thread I don’t think it is. However, the woman answering the phone told me to drive to dealership so they could run codes on it. I told her I didn’t think it was safe and she said they couldn’t give me advice on the phone. I will also add that my car has 51k miles on it so warranty just expired. Anyone have any luck getting it covered that close to warranty expiring? Any luck with Audi recognizing this is a known issue? Appreciate any advice.
You should be cover all q8 have extended 7 year unlimited miles on alternator if that is your issue.
The following users liked this post:
Spoliver117 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you
Old 05-31-2023, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the risk is the car may just become immobile while you're driving it in. if you are not okay with that, tow it in. if you are okay with it, you can drive it in, just be aware that it may throw up a bunch of christmas tree lights and stop at any point randomly, so maybe take back roads and stay in the right lane incase the car quits.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the heads up. I will most likely have it towed. Very disappointed in how Audi service is handling this — or should I say not handling it.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for the heads up. I will most likely have it towed. Very disappointed in how Audi service is handling this — or should I say not handling it.
What year is your Q8 and what were you doing before getting issue also did you have any weird things going on with the car days before this started?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auto start stop disabled?

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@campingmanbc what is so interesting about audi canada handing over 1200CAD with relatively little effort to me is that it let's us know they know they are in pretty deep s*** with all this. I emailed the lawyer down in the the States that I think formally filed the lawsuit with audi and I'm waiting to hear back from them before I post details here. I would think the lawyers will pay someone to do a valuation - and they will come up with a value per day??? who knows. Just playing around, and came up with 1650, but that's not going to be a true number because a car is a depreciating asset. Also - they are going to press for some other amount more to account for the risk of driving a car that could become a danger if it just goes belly up.
so I’ve had my car back just over a month. Interestingly enough it seems the stop start function isn’t enabled? Maybe it’s because I haven’t driven it much but seems weird. I’m always in dynamic mode (not sport) and it used to kick in before but not now?

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction