Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
so I’ve had my car back just over a month. Interestingly enough it seems the stop start function isn’t enabled? Maybe it’s because I haven’t driven it much but seems weird. I’m always in dynamic mode (not sport) and it used to kick in before but not now?
was it stop-start function disabled when you got the car back? what I gather from these 91 pages is that the stop-start not functioning is the first sign that the BSG is gonna fail.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by burnout6
was it stop-start function disabled when you got the car back? what I gather from these 91 pages is that the stop-start not functioning is the first sign that the BSG is gonna fail.
Yes. Was working after dealership fixed car. Then I switched it off a few times just to test. But this past week it’s not kicking in at all. Dear god please tell me this isn’t the start of another problem.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
Yes. Was working after dealership fixed car. Then I switched it off a few times just to test. But this past week it’s not kicking in at all. Dear god please tell me this isn’t the start of another problem.
Wait. I think you have what we all seek - a disabled start/stop system. The on/off cycles are what's causing the BSG/48V battery system failure. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Every time I get into my car, I enable my driver's profile, buckle up, put my phone in the charger, then start the car. (These actions and delay seems to quickly pre-load the start/stop disable icon on my secondary display.) Once the start/stop icon is available, I engage it to turn off that functionality. It's a routine I follow each time I use my vehicle. I'd love to have the start/stop functionality disabled by default as you seem to be experiencing.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Disabling auto SS would be a significant issue for Audi and the EPA. I doubt that there is a complete disabling of the SS system though there are a number of variables that prevent SS from kicking in. 1) Too humid, 2) too hot, 3) battery voltage too low, 4) etc etc etc.

That said that is a TSB that significantly reduces the amount of time SS is kicked in and that is in reference to fuel dilution of the crankcase so Audi made adjustments to SS.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (06-02-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about the ‘23 models?

I’ve been following this thread with interest.
Had a ‘21 Q8 when I started following the issue here.

Just traded the ‘21 for a ‘23 model year.

I’ve picked up tidbits of anecdotal information that the electrical issue that is plaguing the earlier models has been corrected with the current model year.

Does anyone have source info that the ‘23, in fact, has equipment/software that puts the earlier model alt/starter issue to rest?
Old 06-04-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q8 electrical system malfunction

Unfortunately same issue but at 51k miles. I am 2.5hrs from dealer and now looking to have to tow to dealer out of warranty. Very frustrating as my car was just in for its 50k service at 48k miles and all software updates were supposed to be done. Has anyone had this issue outside of warranty??
Old 06-04-2023, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Disabling auto SS would be a significant issue for Audi and the EPA. I doubt that there is a complete disabling of the SS system though there are a number of variables that prevent SS from kicking in. 1) Too humid, 2) too hot, 3) battery voltage too low, 4) etc etc etc.

That said that is a TSB that significantly reduces the amount of time SS is kicked in and that is in reference to fuel dilution of the crankcase so Audi made adjustments to SS.
We - Audi owners still have the comfort that we can turn off S/S with a button. In new BMWs (except M models) there is no S/S button at all.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update?

Originally Posted by 4wvhicks
Just got my baby back Q8 2019 Y1 S-line package that was in the shop 2.5 months (51k miles). The engine malfunction shut down everything ( windows, A/C, etc.) and I still am not sure what the issue was. The dealership said the part came from Germany to fix it. Dealer was good about the whole thing but it is concerning. Appreciate all the feedback here. It helps)

Did your dealer cover the fix? I’m in exact situation & had my car at the dealer for service when still under warranty. My local technician tells me there has been a bulletin on this issue for quite some time & the technician would have had to ignore it at time of service….now leaving me stranded & out of warranty.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 917 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by AWQ819
Did your dealer cover the fix? I’m in exact situation & had my car at the dealer for service when still under warranty. My local technician tells me there has been a bulletin on this issue for quite some time & the technician would have had to ignore it at time of service….now leaving me stranded & out of warranty.
You are probably not out of warranty. Audi issued a 7 year unlimited mileage on this failure
The following 2 users liked this post by KevinGary:
ajmilan (06-04-2023), AWQ819 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo Papa
I’ve been following this thread with interest.
Had a ‘21 Q8 when I started following the issue here.

Just traded the ‘21 for a ‘23 model year.

I’ve picked up tidbits of anecdotal information that the electrical issue that is plaguing the earlier models has been corrected with the current model year.

Does anyone have source info that the ‘23, in fact, has equipment/software that puts the earlier model alt/starter issue to rest?
The issue is still present in current models. There has been no fix that puts the issue to rest. There are some cars w/o the BSG, and those cars never had the issue, but if you live in the US and have a Q8, that isn’t you.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction