Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use of stop/start function

Originally Posted by Spoliver117
Just got the electric system malfunction error followed by a start stop malfunction error. Tried calling Audi service (error message told me to call service) and no service advisors available to get on phone at either location in Austin area. I was trying to determine if car was safe to drive. Based on this thread I don’t think it is. However, the woman answering the phone told me to drive to dealership so they could run codes on it. I told her I didn’t think it was safe and she said they couldn’t give me advice on the phone. I will also add that my car has 51k miles on it so warranty just expired. Anyone have any luck getting it covered that close to warranty expiring? Any luck with Audi recognizing this is a known issue? Appreciate any advice.
Curious if you usually allowed stop/start function to be active while you drove?
Old 06-06-2023, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

After watching and waiting and wondering when, I have a GLE450 in my sights. Just cant take long trips and wonder when this is gonna happen. Been a good ride, have had some issues with the tapping sound in the rear etc, but other than the large elephant in the room with the pending electrical issues, not sure i wanna gamble. Looked at X5 and then drove a friends 2023 GLE450- wow also a sweet ride. I am sure they all have their issues, but I am a bit disappointed in audis lack of concern on this. Probabaly will be the last ICE I get but I think the time is right.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had problems with the alternator. Every time I start on the road, the start/stop system stops from the button. This is the only solution at the moment.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been dreading the day my alternator went out and it happened this weekend on my 2019 Q8 Prestige with about 37,500 miles. Fortunately for me, the local Audi dealer is pretty good and asked me to tow it to their shop tonight and they'll get me in a loaner tomorrow morning.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

It is just a question of time for all of us.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It is just a question of time for all of us.
Which leads me to my next question of how long to hold onto this car after the extended warranty runs out - sounds like replacing the alternator is just a temporary fix.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 912 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDangGood
Which leads me to my next question of how long to hold onto this car after the extended warranty runs out - sounds like replacing the alternator is just a temporary fix.
They don’t yet seem to have a permanent fix yet. Hopefully they develop a permanent fix. The current warranty on the issue is 7 years unlimited miles.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Question that has been asked before: Do you use the auto stop/start all the time or turn it off?

Steve
Old 06-19-2023, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper
Question that has been asked before: Do you use the auto stop/start all the time or turn it off?

Steve
I have been turning it off ever since my BSG was replaced in April 2022. No further issues since then and about 10K miles later. Not saying it can't happen again, but do please turn off the S/S as soon as you can after startup.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rubberbumper

Steve
I've not disabled the S/S but may follow the recommendation from the members on doing that. What makes it all worse is that my kids were in the car when it happened and I won't forget their reaction. I've only had to tow my cars twice and both times it was with an Audi. My 2012 Q5 had the timing chain issue that was not covered under the recall. I debated a long time before getting the Q8 and I'm thinking I made a mistake.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction