Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDangGood
I've not disabled the S/S but may follow the recommendation from the members on doing that. What makes it all worse is that my kids were in the car when it happened and I won't forget their reaction. I've only had to tow my cars twice and both times it was with an Audi. My 2012 Q5 had the timing chain issue that was not covered under the recall. I debated a long time before getting the Q8 and I'm thinking I made a mistake.
thats why my wife refuses to drive our 2019 Audi with 23K miles, she does not want to be stranded. So it just sits in the garage as the last resort 2nd car maybe driven 100mi a month and only 5mi from home.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thsi is truly sad, and if and when you go to trade it in, you can expect about $7 k less than what kbb says its worth as all the dealers know there is an issue.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I considered trading it couple of months ago, but did not find anything I liked. So now it just sits while I wait out Audi to sometime in the future figure out what causes the alt/gen to fail and issue a recall. May be a year from now or never, but there is hope. Thankfully is not my daily driver like some of you guys.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the weekend I considered trading in the car knowing that I would take a substantial hit in depreciation and weighed this against the safety of my kids/wife and inconvenience if it were to happen again. The service manager was open with me about Audi being aware of the issue and that the alternator was upgraded to address the issue. This is the first time I've heard of an upgraded part so I'm not sure how accurate this information is but the dealer has been pretty open and honest with me so I have no reason to doubt what I was told. He mentioned it could take days or a week to get the new alternator and didn't indicate it would take months like some other users. I'm located in PA.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

First I have heard of an upgraded part. Perhaps other can weigh in. If this were true, then a preventive measure recall should be in order. This doesnt explain the people who have had multiple failures.
ajmilan (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by smileman83
First I have heard of an upgraded part. Perhaps other can weigh in. If this were true, then a preventive measure recall should be in order. This doesnt explain the people who have had multiple failures.
Could this Q part be it? I have no idea. I change the P to a Q...

https://www.oemvwshop.com/4n0903028q...oled-p2906469/

That said parts.audiusa.com seems to indicate the Q is only for an A6 though, so maybe not
Old 06-20-2023, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

One thing that may be important to try to analyze is if there have been any failures on alternators that have the updated software version. There have been conflicting reports as to whether the software update alone actually mitigates the failure, or just provides an earlier warning to avoid being stranded on short notice. My dealer service manager told me the software update was more about the latter vs. actually preventing the failure. For those with multiple (or even a single) failures, do you happen to know what the BSG software version was? Mine already had the latest software version per the TSB about the issue from a while ago. I had the Electrical System Malfunction christmas tree of lights last year, but it went away after a restart and has not come back since.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:44 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
I had the Electrical System Malfunction christmas tree of lights last year
This happens on cars without BSG and even on the E-tron.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I know folks are using this thread as a resource, I wanted to document for others that used the Audi Roadside Assistance for towing and need to file a claim for reimbursement. If you call the Roadside number, the directions for reimbursement is to send information to the address below but the directions gave instructions that didn't make sense. For example, it asked for policy number, policy holder name and the VIN. So I looked at the letter I received for the warranty extension for the starter-alternator and it gives you a different customer service number (1-800-253-2834) than what the Roadside Assistance number (1-800-411-9988). I went through the various prompts and went to general inquiries and I was able to get someone on the line in about 1 minute [insert shocked face]. I asked the CS agent for clarity into the process and required documents and she offered to submit the claim on my behalf unless I want to submit it through the mail. She sent me an email requesting a copy of the tow invoice, a screenshot of the credit card charge, the VIN number, and a summary of what happened with the car (she said it wasn't necessary but may help speed up the claim). All in all, I would give her service 5/5 and told her I was expecting to be on hold for hours. She laughed and said that they're trying to address that - as shown by my 1 minute wait time.

I hope this helps someone else file their out-of-pocket costs related to the starter-generator.

Audi Roadside Program
P.O. Box 9145
Medford, MA 02155
Dat Dude Trav (06-29-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Could this Q part be it? I have no idea. I change the P to a Q...

https://www.oemvwshop.com/4n0903028q...oled-p2906469/

That said parts.audiusa.com seems to indicate the Q is only for an A6 though, so maybe not
"Q" is the latest version for Q8 (before it was "J", "N", "P", "H" and "M"). Version "Q" in Q8 seems to have been introduced 04/2021 replacing "M" version.
"T" is the latest version for RSQ8 (before it was "R").
BSG "Q" is now installed in A6, A8 and Q8. Versions "R" and "T" only in RSQ8. I don't think that BSG "Q" is a new, trouble free version because it seems to be installed for already 2 years in some cars, but time will show it.

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction