Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Electric System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 935 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
"Q" is the latest version for Q8 (before it was "J", "N", "P", "H" and "M"). Version "Q" in Q8 seems to have been introduced 04/2021 replacing "M" version.
"T" is the latest version for RSQ8 (before it was "R").
BSG "Q" is now installed in A6, A8 and Q8. Versions "R" and "T" only in RSQ8. I don't think that BSG "Q" is a new, trouble free version because it seems to be installed for already 2 years in some cars, but time will show it.
So RS versions aside, just the A6/A7/A8, you're saying the Q version has been seen before?

I mean, from what I can tell on parts.audiusa.com the P version is the latest:

https://www.audiaccessories.ca/p/Aud...N0903028P.html

How? For example, put in 4N0903028N in the search bar. It'll always default to the P version

So if the P version is the latest, and and Q comes after P, how does that work?

I am so confused
Old 06-20-2023, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 935 Likes on 649 Posts

Read the comment here, this is a *bold* freaking claim.

Also, wait:
https://www.google.com/search?q=4N09...h=973&dpr=1.93

Maybe the Q is for TDIs? (page 2 of Google)
Old 06-20-2023, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
So RS versions aside, just the A6/A7/A8, you're saying the Q version has been seen before?

I mean, from what I can tell on parts.audiusa.com the P version is the latest:

https://www.audiaccessories.ca/p/Aud...N0903028P.html

How? For example, put in 4N0903028N in the search bar. It'll always default to the P version

So if the P version is the latest, and and Q comes after P, how does that work?

I am so confused
According to Audi ETKA "N" was replaced by "P" 03/2021 and "M" by "Q" 04/21. I don't see any newer BSG versions for Q8 and SQ8 as "Q" and "P". All versions (J, N,H,M) except "Q" and "P" have their successors. It is possible that there are 2 lines of BSG: line "P" and line "Q" (TDI, TFSI?). All for PR 9G8.
It seems to me that official VAG ETKA is the best source of information.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (06-20-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi there, curious how your Q8 is running after over a year from this ridiculous issue? I have a '19 Q8 and mine just failed. Two months in the shop.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a used '20 RSQ8 with 28k miles, and the car is now at the dealer for the starter/generator replacement. Interesting how this all went down, and I am not finding much anywhere online. I was out of town for a week, so the car was on a battery tender in the garage. The first drive following my vacation, I was 5 minutes in, and the dreaded "Electrical System Malfunction!" error was displayed. Within a minute, I received two more faults, Sport Differential Malfunction! and Active Roll Stabilization Malfunction! Has anyone had all these faults hit at the same time?
Old 07-14-2023, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv98tt
I recently purchased a used '20 RSQ8 with 28k miles, and the car is now at the dealer for the starter/generator replacement. Interesting how this all went down, and I am not finding much anywhere online. I was out of town for a week, so the car was on a battery tender in the garage. The first drive following my vacation, I was 5 minutes in, and the dreaded "Electrical System Malfunction!" error was displayed. Within a minute, I received two more faults, Sport Differential Malfunction! and Active Roll Stabilization Malfunction! Has anyone had all these faults hit at the same time?
I got the same errors around the same mileage I think.

I hope they have solved the backorder issue...
Old 07-14-2023, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Screenshot of the vehicle status shortly after faults appeared.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I was extremely lucky that my dealer had a new alternator/generator in stock. They made the repair in a day and my car is back to new!

I expect this to be a recall very soon. I was told that every Audi that has the mild hybrid system will eventually have this issue. There’s no way to avoid it, it’s just a faulty part and a really crappy issue for all of us that are/will be affected.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It has! The dealer told me it would be 1 to 4 weeks. Two days later, the part generator was in stock. The issue is that the Active Roll Module also needs to be replaced. Do you know if the generator fault has caused other modules to fail?
Old 07-14-2023, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv98tt
The issue is well known and you can find a lot of information online. This problem concerns all Audi models with 48V MHEV system and BSG. Here is the thread from the German RS6 forum: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/rs6-...79.html?page=7 The same engine and the same system as in RSQ8.
Check the version of new starter/generator which will be installed in your car. The BSG with part number with last letter "T" is a latest, upgraded version and so far seems that this version is trouble free.
BTW my dealer told me that currently the production of RSQ8 is suspended. He doesn't know why and for how long as the information which they received is only "due to the technical problems".

Quick Reply: Electric System Malfunction