Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Enabling traffic sign recognition

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 920 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Kufatec doesn't offer disable option for Audi cars MY2019+. As you know perfectly well, so far no one has discovered a way to permanently disable S/S in the latest cars. Kufatec only offers S/S dongle deactivation on older models than MY 2019. I have used these Kufatec dongles in my 2 previous Audi (Q7 MY2016, S5 MY2018) and they worked without problems.
They did until a bunch of us tried it and then they pulled the product.

The point is that making blanket statements that "everything" a vendor makes is 100% is risky. I don't know if Kufatec's module in question is proven to work on a Q8/A8, but I do full well remember them claiming (to me personally) that their module for the D5 worked until I bought it and like others have noticed, did not disable SS.

I do not recall Kufatec's traffic sign mod works for sure as demonstrated by anybody on here, so best to proceed with caution.
The following users liked this post:
LeicaNut (11-25-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
They did until a bunch of us tried it and then they pulled the product.

The point is that making blanket statements that "everything" a vendor makes is 100% is risky. I don't know if Kufatec's module in question is proven to work on a Q8/A8, but I do full well remember them claiming (to me personally) that their module for the D5 worked until I bought it and like others have noticed, did not disable SS.

I do not recall Kufatec's traffic sign mod works for sure as demonstrated by anybody on here, so best to proceed with caution.
That's another story
So far my experience with Kufatec has been good. I have bought a lot of products from them over the last few years and they all worked well and always got quick support.
Of course, this does not mean that all their products are perfect, but undoubtedly Kufatec is one of the most experienced retrofit companies for German cars.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by albertayyc
Hey folks,

I have an SQ8 without drivers assistance package. Does that mean i don't get traffic sign recognition? Is there a way to turn it on?

Thanks!
It should have worked with your 6 month trail period of Audi Connect Prime, correct? If so, that would be a safe solution, although it will cost you $499 every 18 months. Just another option.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't like the way the car would suddenly slow down from 70mph to 55mph on it's own. After realizing just what was going on I turned that function OFF
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audiq4me
I didn't like the way the car would suddenly slow down from 70mph to 55mph on it's own. After realizing just what was going on I turned that function OFF
Well, I understand that you still have the function of displaying traffic signs on the VC and in the HUD? This is a very useful information option.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have traffic signs but I think they come from the GPS and nav system, not a camera. Is this possible because they change even when no sign is visible on the road?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Falcon900
I have traffic signs but I think they come from the GPS and nav system, not a camera. Is this possible because they change even when no sign is visible on the road?
Yes, it takes the information from navigation and GPS. This is how Predictive Efficiency Assist works and alerts you in advance of upcoming speed limits or other road obstacles such as intersections. However, road signs noticed by the camera take priority over navigation data.
The following users liked this post:
Falcon900 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

New here. Just got a 2019 Q8 Prestige with every package offered. Loving it. Need new tires up front and will get 4 new ones. I have been wondering about the traffic sign deal too. I hate driving on teh highway and all of a sudden is drops 20 miles an hour on a highway. Dangerous and a bad feeling. I will look to see where I can turn it off too. I'd rather hit the brakes if traffic slows etc... Any suggestions on tires would work too, lol. thanks all.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by albertayyc
Hey i was going to order this right away but it says its for Q8's up to 2020.. I emailed them on monday to see if this was supported on my 2021 SQ8 but still no response....

Anyone installed this option on an SQ8?
I emailed about this dongle for my 2021 Q7 (which also showed being compatible through MY2020). Unfortunately, they said that the dongle is NOT compatible with my 2021. They revamped the option packages for 2021 and changed what traffic sign recognition is bundled with (at least in the US).

I have a Premium Plus with the Executive Package which includes all of the components previously found in the Driver Assistance Packaged except for traffic sign recognition.

I believe that I should have all of the hardware to make this work, but I can't find any information on enabling it through coding on the 2021 models. I would love to hear from anyone who knows more or can point me in the right direction.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by secrtagnt
I emailed about this dongle for my 2021 Q7 (which also showed being compatible through MY2020). Unfortunately, they said that the dongle is NOT compatible with my 2021. They revamped the option packages for 2021 and changed what traffic sign recognition is bundled with (at least in the US).

I have a Premium Plus with the Executive Package which includes all of the components previously found in the Driver Assistance Packaged except for traffic sign recognition.

I believe that I should have all of the hardware to make this work, but I can't find any information on enabling it through coding on the 2021 models. I would love to hear from anyone who knows more or can point me in the right direction.
This is probably due to the fact that MY2021 already has a MIB3 system and the existing solutions are for MIB2.
A matter of time, you have to wait for the sets supporting MIB3.