Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

A few small issues with my 2022 RS Q8

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
Default A few small issues with my 2022 RS Q8

I picked up my 22 RSQ8 last week and I am loving every aspect of it except a few small issues I’m having…

The interior lights don’t work properly when the doors are open and yes, the button is ON for the lights to come on when the doors are open. The only light that comes on is the map light over the driver seat. When I push the all lights button on the overhead console then they all come on, so they do work just not how they’re supposed to when the doors are open.

Second issue is the lower screen where you can replace 2 of the buttons, I’ve tried to change the left button to the heated steering wheel function and it accepts it however when I turn the car off it defaults back to the SYNC button. I have done it 100 times and it never stores it.

Any one else with with either of these issues ?
Old 12-27-2021, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

your above 2 issues are same what i'm dealing with.
based from my understanding the light only come with based on which door is open.
as for the shortcut that you created, MMI has issue that either go back to default or greyed out after awhile. aka radio station set fav but later on go back to greyed out.
honestly, with all the shortcuts that allowed us to do but back to defaults later on. i gave up!
Old 12-27-2021, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jzhu625
your above 2 issues are same what i'm dealing with.
based from my understanding the light only come with based on which door is open.
as for the shortcut that you created, MMI has issue that either go back to default or greyed out after awhile. aka radio station set fav but later on go back to greyed out.
honestly, with all the shortcuts that allowed us to do but back to defaults later on. i gave up!
the light only coming on whichever door is open is easily the stupidest set up I’ve ever heard. I’m not home to check if mine in fact works that way, but if it does I would love to know the reasoning behind it.
My shortcut settings for radio stations on the lower display remains and works properly. It’s just the shortcut for the HVAC that has a problem. Pic below

Last edited by SlammedR8; 12-27-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

The lighting can be changed via OBD Eleven, but you need the dongle and software. I have modified my RS Q8 so that both lights turn on. I have the heated steering wheel shortcut on my vehicle in the same spot and it has not dissapeared. I do have an issue with the navigation system forgetting my Home address every few weeks and me having to reenter it.

The specific coding for the lighting is below:

Interior Lighting Behavior
Description: Which interior lights turn on when opening the door. By default, light illuminates the side where the door is opened (e.g. only the left light turns on when the driver door is opened).

From <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.ninn336zo2h7>
Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Yep, I've never been able to get the left hvac button to stick. I want rear, it wants synch, back and forth we go. I'll flag it as part of upcoming 10k service and hopefully the magical "software update" will do something good.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:45 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SlammedR8
The interior lights don’t work properly when the doors are open and yes, the button is ON for the lights to come on when the doors are open. The only light that comes on is the map light over the driver seat. When I push the all lights button on the overhead console then they all come on, so they do work just not how they’re supposed to when the doors are open.
Great joke! Interior lighting works exactly as expected.

This is one of the ingenious solutions usually found only on premium sedans. The point is that the light only comes on where the door is open.
In a Mercedes GLE/GLS I was terribly annoyed when a passenger opened the door from behind, and the whole interior was shining like a christmas tree - this is very stupid. Or when my wife opens the trunk to put things, and my driver’s light turns on - ahahaha, this is complete nonsense. Why do I need a light in front, if it is needed only from behind at that moment?
Thank you audi for such a great solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by a75:
LEC84 (11-27-2022), Sk8 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

I picked up my 22 RSQ8 last week and I am loving every aspect of it except a few small issues I’m having…

Second issue is the lower screen where you can replace 2 of the buttons, I’ve tried to change the left button to the heated steering wheel function and it accepts it however when I turn the car off it defaults back to the SYNC button. I have done it 100 times and it never stores it.

Any one else with with either of these issues ?
This arrangement of interior lights is intentional. As suggested by methodtim, this can be changed by coding.
I think the problem with the HVAC icon disappearing on the lower display is a software problem. I don't think that it is intentional because this would not have any logic. You can reset the MMI to be sure and try again, but you may need to ask your dealer if he has any solution of this problem, for example by updating the MMI software (5F module).
The following users liked this post:
LEC84 (11-27-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the responses!

can dealer fix this via coding or I need to do aftermarket
Old 12-30-2021, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Thanks for all the responses!

can dealer fix this via coding or I need to do aftermarket
Interior light scenario change is a very easy coding. It depends of your dealer. Some are more cooperative, other less. You can buy OBDEleven and do it yourself.
With the second problem, if the MMI reboot didn't help with your vanishing icon the visit to the dealer is necessary.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:06 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
With the second problem, if the MMI reboot didn't help with your vanishing icon the visit to the dealer is necessary.
If the car was closed with the key after the icon flew off, then restarting the MMI will no longer help, since it has already memorized the new icon.
This is my observation for several months.
We need a firmware update with fixes if audi fixes it.

Quick Reply: A few small issues with my 2022 RS Q8