Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Help with 19/20 Q/SQ8 Mirror tap instructions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 19/20 Q/SQ8 Mirror tap instructions

Hello everyone - I am hoping someone can help me with photos or a diagram of how to remove the plastic molding around the rearview mirror attachment so that I can wiretap my radar detector. I see many threads on older models, and the plastic molding is a bit different - so I don't want to break anything, and am hoping someone has already done this.

I did see diagrams of the entire rectangular panel in the headliner being removed, but I would prefer not to that, as I wanted switched power that goes on and off as I turn the car on and off, and I have had success with the powered mirror harness in the past with my R8.

Thanks in advance, any insights and tips are greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 93 Posts

not super familiar for wiring a radar detector, but why can't you tap directly into the fuse panel? It would be super simple as getting a fuse tap and running the wire
The following users liked this post:
Travis Coates (11-19-2021)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I prefer the mirror tap - wire travels shorter distance, it's cleaner. It's just the way I have always done it on my last several cars and never had any issues. Unless you have a really nice diagram of the sq8 fuse box and how to run the wire?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://fuse-box.info/audi/audi-q8-2019-2020-fuses

Wired my rs7 dash cam to the fuse box right next to the steering wheel. Super easy to run the cable along the weather stripping and under the headliner, much easier than tearing apart the mirror assembly! List of fuses is in your owners manual, usually the climate control fuses are ignition switched!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah your layout is totally different from mine - and if you look up mirror wiretap - you will see how simple it is! It's not tearing apart anything, it's just knowing where the clips are on the plastic molding to remove nicely. You don't have to run anything under any weather stripping or pull up headliner. I am planning on the placing the radar to the side of the rearview mirror -
Old 07-31-2020, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

HA dumb me, I thought you were talking about the side mirrors whoops! Yes I agree with wiring from the rear view mirror would be the best solution, sorry can't help you with the removal of that trim though
Old 08-01-2020, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_ham
Hello everyone - I am hoping someone can help me with photos or a diagram of how to remove the plastic molding around the rearview mirror attachment so that I can wiretap my radar detector. I see many threads on older models, and the plastic molding is a bit different - so I don't want to break anything, and am hoping someone has already done this.

I did see diagrams of the entire rectangular panel in the headliner being removed, but I would prefer not to that, as I wanted switched power that goes on and off as I turn the car on and off, and I have had success with the powered mirror harness in the past with my R8.

Thanks in advance, any insights and tips are greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
I am not sure if connecting to the wiring in the mirror harness (camera + sensors) will not cause errors in the car's system. Maybe it would be better to connect to the wiring of the lamp in the headliner?
Let us know if everything works fine after connecting.
Instructions below:

Old 08-01-2020, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by retom
I am not sure if connecting to the wiring in the mirror harness (camera + sensors) will not cause errors in the car's system. Maybe it would be better to connect to the wiring of the lamp in the headliner?
Let us know if everything works fine after connecting.
Instructions below:

Thank you so much! Great point about the sensors and cameras - I will post back to let everyone know how it goes -
Old 09-30-2020, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did your install work? Wanting to do the same.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Just purchased the blend mount for my Redline 360C and M1 dash cam. works nicely. The mirror tap I need isn't in stock. Where are you guys puchasing?

Quick Reply: Help with 19/20 Q/SQ8 Mirror tap instructions