Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Help with Audi Q8 MMI and iPhone Pairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Audi Q8 MMI and iPhone Pairing

My cousin bought a 2023 Audi Q8, and he has an iPhone. He was asking me to help him with the Bluetooth pairing of his phone to the vehicle so he could listen to his music, but he doesn't want any phone calls, text messages, messages, etc. coming through the vehicle to show up on the interface or have calls routed through there. He only wants media audio to play through it. I searched through the Audi interface settings, as well as through his iPhone Bluetooth settings, and I did not see the option to only play media audio in either.

My father has a 2023 Lexus RX 350h, and when I pair his iPhone via Bluetooth to the MMI, it gives me the option for media only, so none of his phone calls, emails, text messages, etc. are routed through the vehicle.

Is there a way to have this done in my cousin's Audi Q8? Your help would be appreciated.

Also, is there a way to set it where whenever my cousin opens his car doors, all the interior lights turn on? Currently only the front passenger interior light illuminates when his door is opened. How can we do it where all the interior lights will illuminate when he opens his vehicle door, and turn off when he closes them?
Old 06-04-2024, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Not sure about the media only vs media + phone calls. Curious as to why enabling the phone calls via the MMI is a problem. What do they want to happen when they receive a phone call in the vehicle?

The light configuration can be changed via OBD 11 or some other programing tool. It is not configurable in the MMI. I have mine set to turn on all lights when doors are opened.

Old 06-04-2024, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like you cousin would be better off just downloading music to a USB drive and plugging in. Much better sound quality than BlueTooth as well.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:03 AM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default IPHONE SETTINGS

Isn’t there an option for notifications in the phone under Bluetooth for the Audi MMI, try that and see
Old 06-05-2024, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joemb239
Isn’t there an option for notifications in the phone under Bluetooth for the Audi MMI, try that and see
No, unfortunately there isn't. I tried looking for that also.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HDCL
Not sure about the media only vs media + phone calls. Curious as to why enabling the phone calls via the MMI is a problem. What do they want to happen when they receive a phone call in the vehicle?

The light configuration can be changed via OBD 11 or some other programing tool. It is not configurable in the MMI. I have mine set to turn on all lights when doors are opened.

He just doesn't want his phone calls and messages showing up or going through the car; he just wants them only going through his phone, but only wants to have media audio play through the car, the same way I was able to set it up in my father's Lexus.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HDCL

Darn. Thank you. Yeah, my cousin isn't going to want to mess around with OBD anything. He isn't going to want to mess around with anything that can't be done natively through the vehicle's MMI.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Tangential question. I use Apple CarPlay. I also listen to music thru the Sirius radio in the MMI. The damned CarPlay mutes the radio every time i browse a website with media. Is there a way to stop safari from interrupting the cars radio?
Old 06-19-2024, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can he use an aux cable to just play his music directly through the MMI? I don't think his iPhone has a 2.5mm headphone jack (I use Android so I'm not as familiar with the iPhones), but if he doesn't, and I think he charges using a USC-C cable, can he plug his phone in somewhere in the Q8 using that cable and play music through the radio in his vehicle that way?