Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

How are you going to pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you going to pay for it?

I am going to spend a lot of money on this thing. There is one thing that bothers me. Lets say the sticker price is 100 and I pay cash and it gets stolen 6 months later. What would the insurance company pay me for it? If you really do loose 15-20% the day I drive it off, that would make the real deductible 20,000. If I lease it or put nothing down gap insurance will cover the difference between what I owe and the insurance pay out. Liberty mutual s commercial got me thinking. The also want 100 more a month than gieco and progressive for me. I just wondered what other people do when spending this much money on a new car.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

depends on your insurance company...best to ask them

everyone's buying situation will be vastly different for a wide array of reasons...you won't find anything definitive asking here unfortunately. Get with your insurance co and financial advisor to find out what scenario best suits your particular situation
Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not sure what the laws are in each state, but i believe you can ask for a "similar" replacement vehicle, less your deductible, though that may be hard to come by in some cases. Auto insurance payouts are a negotiation, it is never fun. I buy 2 or 3 cars a year, another scenario I hit a long time ago is that I had a car with <1000 miles and got hit. The insurance companies paid for the repair, i never gave it a second thought. When I went to trade it I worked a deal and indicated that i wanted to think about it overnight. The next day i went back to sign the deal and the dealer indicated that they found a report that the car had been damaged in the past. I indicated that the damage had been cosmetic and the panels were replaced and not repaired and there was no structural damage. I even showed them the detailed repair invoice, tough luck, they lowered the $$ amount substantially for my trade. I didn't take the deal. Obviously this is a much bigger problem if you trade the car in in the first ffew years as compared to 10 years later and of course if it is 100,000 vehicle vs a 25,000 vehicle, but it is a concern. I inquired with my insurance company when my policy came due if there was a way to recoup or recover $$ in situations like this in the future. It seems to me the driver at fault in the accident lowered the value of my vehicle so they should not get away with simply repairing my vehicle but they should compensate me for lost value. He raised the question with the company bigwigs and indicated that the issue had come into question at some national insurance conference but no action was ever pursued. They informed me that the only recourse in this situation would be to get signed statements from 3 or more car dealers indicating how much less they were willing to offer me due to the previous damage and then pursue it legally. Like that is going to happen, that is like asking 3 doctors to sign and affidavit that some other doctor botched your surgery .
Old 11-18-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucci
I am not sure what the laws are in each state, but i believe you can ask for a "similar" replacement vehicle, less your deductible, though that may be hard to come by in some cases. Auto insurance payouts are a negotiation, it is never fun. I buy 2 or 3 cars a year, another scenario I hit a long time ago is that I had a car with <1000 miles and got hit. The insurance companies paid for the repair, i never gave it a second thought. When I went to trade it I worked a deal and indicated that i wanted to think about it overnight. The next day i went back to sign the deal and the dealer indicated that they found a report that the car had been damaged in the past. I indicated that the damage had been cosmetic and the panels were replaced and not repaired and there was no structural damage. I even showed them the detailed repair invoice, tough luck, they lowered the $$ amount substantially for my trade. I didn't take the deal. Obviously this is a much bigger problem if you trade the car in in the first ffew years as compared to 10 years later and of course if it is 100,000 vehicle vs a 25,000 vehicle, but it is a concern. I inquired with my insurance company when my policy came due if there was a way to recoup or recover $$ in situations like this in the future. It seems to me the driver at fault in the accident lowered the value of my vehicle so they should not get away with simply repairing my vehicle but they should compensate me for lost value. He raised the question with the company bigwigs and indicated that the issue had come into question at some national insurance conference but no action was ever pursued. They informed me that the only recourse in this situation would be to get signed statements from 3 or more car dealers indicating how much less they were willing to offer me due to the previous damage and then pursue it legally. Like that is going to happen, that is like asking 3 doctors to sign and affidavit that some other doctor botched your surgery .
What you’re referring to is a diminished value claim
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I would strongly urge this inquiry be continued with your (trusted) auto insurance carrier. The laws differ from state to state. Coverage, too, can differ from carrier to carrier. Normally, I value the discussions here on AW, in this case, however, the best advice here is DON'T take our advice, get the advice from your auto insurance carrier. We, here, surely WANT to be helpful, but in this instance, AW is not a good choice for guidance.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree that I need to check with my insurance company. I just wondered how everyone else did it. There is no point in me reinventing the wheel. I am looking towards the RS Q8, so the numbers are much bigger than anything I have bought before. So would be my anxiety when I park the thing at the airport for a week.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what RSQ8? No such vehicle exists for the US market as of yet, and it's not yet determined if it will
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea, they haven't said for sure. But they are racing the thing. That would be a lot for work for nothing.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-hybrid-v8-suv
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GeneBopp
Yea, they haven't said for sure. But they are racing the thing. That would be a lot for work for nothing.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-hybrid-v8-suv
Audi offers a far more diverse range in the European (for example) market. Something being tested somewhere is not at all indicative of it ever coming here. I think we will see an SQ8 though, but likely not an RS
Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The SQ8 is on -- who knows if there will ever be a US RSQ8. At the price point of an SQ8, I would think the market would be quite small, an RSQ8 would put this great vehicle out of reach for many. The Q8 that we have is a great car -- when I really want to "play" the S4 "git's it done!" And, next year there is likely to be a new S4 -- so, my wife can use and love her Q8 and I my S4. I may test an S6, but I got into the new A6 and the thing is (to me) a friggin' limo. Perhaps if an SQ6 were to magically come from Audi, I could be swayed. Mean time -- one nice sporty sedan and one super nice and badass looking Q8 are plenty. Our ability to use the capabilities of these cars is quite muted here in SW Ohio what with crowded highways and lots of potholes. I've only got 20K miles on my '18 S4 and it is a blast to drive -- waiting and waiting for a possible RSQ8 isn't in my future. I will, however, surely test-drive the upcoming SQ8 and hope I won't be smitten with a car that will surely cost at least $90K with little on it.

I want to have something left to spend on a few more trips to Germany and Italy for pity's sake.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: How are you going to pay for it?