Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree' it's not Turbo Lag. It's like it goes into NO GEAR and then takes 1-2 seconds to find the right gear.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is exacty the scenario I encountered on my multiple rest drives.

Sorry Audi is screwing the current batch of Q8 owners. If I were you I’d send it for service until you can lemon law the car. If you own and not lease it’s the most graceful exit. The resale on these will be horrific as three are many published articles in this. Use the tech crunch article.

Originally Posted by jbertstuft
My Q8 didn't lag for a few months, when the Stop/Start was off. Then it began and has increased. It does it in Dynamic or Comfort Mode. I have 11,000 miles on the Q8. It occurs when I brake to slow and then hit the gas to accelerate.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a throttle lag, and I really believe that much of this has to do with the way some are driving it/expect to drive it. I'm coming from a diesel, which has a ton of low-end torque, but nonetheless was a very different driving dynamic from the high displacement lazy V8s that I had at the same time—a MB GL450, E500, and VW Phaeton.
The following users liked this post:
jmk1 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am glad you are happy with your car but your explaination of what your not experiencing is vastly different from my experience and I don’t own it so I have a hard time why you don’t have the same complaints as most on this board.

Im happy for you but I drove 8 different Q8 at least. Maybe more and it was present on each one.

If if you never call for the car to really react Perform I guess it might be missed but if an emergency occurs where you need to acceleration to save you, I fear it won’t be there so just be careful and aware of that.

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
It's a throttle lag, and I really believe that much of this has to do with the way some are driving it/expect to drive it. I'm coming from a diesel, which has a ton of low-end torque, but nonetheless was a very different driving dynamic from the high displacement lazy V8s that I had at the same time—a MB GL450, E500, and VW Phaeton.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

No, don't misunderstand me. I dislike the throttle lag. It is a real occurrence. However, there are ways to adjust your driving and the driving modes to minimize that issue.

I drove at least a half dozen before I took delivery of mine. I first drove mine on the way home.

I am a good driver, and it's a good car. I'm sure if I am in an accident, it will be due to a driver, not a throttle lag.

Originally Posted by Jsf721
I am glad you are happy with your car but your explaination of what your not experiencing is vastly different from my experience and I don’t own it so I have a hard time why you don’t have the same complaints as most on this board.

Im happy for you but I drove 8 different Q8 at least. Maybe more and it was present on each one.

If if you never call for the car to really react Perform I guess it might be missed but if an emergency occurs where you need to acceleration to save you, I fear it won’t be there so just be careful and aware of that.
The following users liked this post:
Chiclet11 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a potentially life or death issue one should not have to learn a new way to drive a car. One should not have to always alert/train his wife, his daughter, his son, his mom, his dad, a number of his friends, to learn, 100% of the time, to "adjust" their driving - especially on a 90K vehicle. Easy for Audi to set the s/s feature to default to off upon a restart - similar to wipers. The acceleration lag, often occurring at crucial times, will keep more and more people from purchasing the Q8 as the issue gets more attention.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well said. Exactly how I feel and felt. I too thought long and hard before not leaving my deposit. I really wanted the car but was unwilling to settle for what I perceived was a potentially unsafe vehicle.

Too bad because I really loved the Q8. I was totally disappointed with AoA’s response which was working as designed. Ah..... NO. Not buying that company line.

IMHO Not fixing this will cost Audi sales and kill resale of Q8.

Originally Posted by COe-Tron
On a potentially life or death issue one should not have to learn a new way to drive a car. One should not have to always alert/train his wife, his daughter, his son, his mom, his dad, a number of his friends, to learn, 100% of the time, to "adjust" their driving - especially on a 90K vehicle. Easy for Audi to set the s/s feature to default to off upon a restart - similar to wipers. The acceleration lag, often occurring at crucial times, will keep more and more people from purchasing the Q8 as the issue gets more attention.

Last edited by Jsf721; 07-21-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:02 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone threatened to sue Audi or send legal correspondence?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your only damages would be after and unfortunate event. You would need to sue for specific performance and Their answer wound be it’s working as designed. And if you didn’t like it you should not have purchased it.

The lemon law is the only graceful exit and if I owned one I’d send it in for service multiple times and then when I had enough paper work I’d go the lemon law route.

Originally Posted by f10
Has anyone threatened to sue Audi or send legal correspondence?
Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would imagine Audi would do everything it can to prevent a bunch of lemon Q8s hitting the market and buying back the car before it gets to that point.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue