Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Your only damages would be after and unfortunate event. You would need to sue for specific performance and Their answer wound be it’s working as designed. And if you didn’t like it you should not have purchased it.

The lemon law is the only graceful exit and if I owned one I’d send it in for service multiple times and then when I had enough paper work I’d go the lemon law route.
I am trying to understand the “lemon law” assertions. If the vehicle is operating as designed, where is the “lemon”? It is very doubtful that not liking a particular feature of a vehicle no matter how maddening would constitute or trigger any lemon law remedies.
The following users liked this post:
udayp24 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked up my new Q8 3 weeks ago...very recent build. Almost 1,000 km on it and no sign of throttle lag so far. I rarely turn off auto start/stop.
The following 2 users liked this post by phil47:
egp (09-15-2019), Neurobit (11-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Most of the people on this thread calling it dangerous, threatening to sue, etc. don't even own the car...
The following 6 users liked this post by SoundsoftheSuburbs:
angrypengu (07-27-2019), avidude (07-21-2019), BigBoy11 (07-21-2019), CFLQTRO (07-23-2019), dwboston (07-23-2019), RtzQ8 (08-29-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I’m only following this thread so that when it’s fixed I can pick one up. I have an aging MDX that I own. I’ll be replacing this with a Q8 or some other larger suv. I’m hoping Q8 but only if this deal breaking issue is resolved. It you don’t notice it great for you. But to me and ,Amy others is a glaring fault that is dangerous and potentially deadly.

I have ave since purchase a different vehicle and only following to keep tabs on a fix and trying to help others make a good decision once they can check out the fault for themselves.

If if I owned a Q8 with this problem I’d be doing everything I could to get out of it. Why because it’s dangerous.

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
Most of the people on this thread calling it dangerous, threatening to sue, etc. don't even own the car...
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well Audi says it’s operating as designed but I beg to differ as do many on this board.

I thimk ink is faulty and dangerous. Throttle lag that makes 5e car dangerous to operate is not a feature I don’t like. It’s a fault the manufacturer won’t admit to at the moment. Just like the powder that wasn’t dangerous but ended up being the largest class action suit of the decade.

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
I am trying to understand the “lemon law” assertions. If the vehicle is operating as designed, where is the “lemon”? It is very doubtful that not liking a particular feature of a vehicle no matter how maddening would constitute or trigger any lemon law remedies.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I’ve noticed it when coasting down to 2k RPMs then punching the gas in “Drive” mode. It hesitates for a second or so before jerking forward as I mention upthread. Easing into the gas seems to be a better tactic. With that said I’ve never come across any situation where the throttle lag put me in danger. I always drive with the S/S off and once the oil heats up I switch to Sport mode since it’s always nice to have a little more responsiveness. My last car was an NA-V8 with instant power delivery at all speeds but I drove that car in Sport mode with the S/S off all the time as well. I haven’t had to alter my driving style in the Q8. There’s a lot of posts on this thread from people that do not even own the car. The issue has gotten overblown imo especially when bringing up Lemon Laws. I had a Lemon Law case a few years ago and I don’t see how this could possibly qualify. Granted each car is different and the problem just may not be as prevalent in my car.
The following 4 users liked this post by jrjunior31:
aechazu (07-21-2019), BigBoy11 (07-21-2019), SoundsoftheSuburbs (07-21-2019), udayp24 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I complained about a similar lag in my 2018 SQ5. Audi kept it hush hush and bought it back when I said I would pursue a lemon law case. My Q8 has the lag in certain situations but with the ss off I rarely notice it. I also have a pedal box which very noticeably improves response. I still believe Audi jacked this design up and a fix is needed.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I’m only following this thread so that when it’s fixed I can pick one up. I have an aging MDX that I own. I’ll be replacing this with a Q8 or some other larger suv. I’m hoping Q8 but only if this deal breaking issue is resolved. It you don’t notice it great for you. But to me and ,Amy others is a glaring fault that is dangerous and potentially deadly.

I have ave since purchase a different vehicle and only following to keep tabs on a fix and trying to help others make a good decision once they can check out the fault for themselves.

If if I owned a Q8 with this problem I’d be doing everything I could to get out of it. Why because it’s dangerous.
I noticed a throttle lag, but I've altered my driving technique and played with the different driving modes available. It's really not an issue anymore. I can't think of a situation where the throttle lag I've experienced would be dangerous/deadly. Hyperbole much? It's not like the car stalls out in the middle of traffic.

Well Audi says it’s operating as designed but I beg to differ as do many on this board.

I thimk ink is faulty and dangerous. Throttle lag that makes 5e car dangerous to operate is not a feature I don’t like. It’s a fault the manufacturer won’t admit to at the moment. Just like the powder that wasn’t dangerous but ended up being the largest class action suit of the decade.
Again, hyperbole much?

Also, why are you so invested in criticizing this car that you do not own or care to purchase? Your commentary is nugatory and banal.

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I’ve noticed it when coasting down to 2k RPMs then punching the gas in “Drive” mode. It hesitates for a second or so before jerking forward as I mention upthread. Easing into the gas seems to be a better tactic. With that said I’ve never come across any situation where the throttle lag put me in danger. I always drive with the S/S off and once the oil heats up I switch to Sport mode since it’s always nice to have a little more responsiveness. My last car was an NA-V8 with instant power delivery at all speeds but I drove that car in Sport mode with the S/S off all the time as well. I haven’t had to alter my driving style in the Q8. There’s a lot of posts on this thread from people that do not even own the car. The issue has gotten overblown imo especially when bringing up Lemon Laws. I had a Lemon Law case a few years ago and I don’t see how this could possibly qualify. Granted each car is different and the problem just may not be as prevalent in my car.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, and @jrjunior31 was a very early adopter of the Q8.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry but that simply doesn’t rise to the level of either lemon or litigation! Personal opinion of someone who doesn’t even own or drive one is not something any attorney or regulatory agency would even consider.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I didn’t meant to upset anyone. To answer your questions

why am I here ? I’d like to get a Q8 if this problem gets fixed.

Not rising to lemon law. Wrong. If the service department cannot fix an issue that I can continually cause to Happen I believe I’d win that case and more importantly Audi would buy my car back before I got to far down the lemon law route.

So to everyone one who has adjusted their driving style, found a setting that works for you. I’m happy for you. Enjoy your vehicle in the best of health. But I won’t settle on any car let alone a 84k plus tax build.

I think this this thread I saturated enough to prevent anyone from on here from buying a Q8 without at least vetting this issue that’s been detailed. I’d be pissed if I purchased the car and then discovered this issue. I saw it right away maybe because it’s the way I drive. Maybe I’m more sensitive or aware of the lag but it’s a deal breaker for me and I wouldn’t want my wife and kids driving it either.

I’ m only trying to help alert others and all I want is this fixed for myself and the rest of you.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
I noticed a throttle lag, but I've altered my driving technique and played with the different driving modes available. It's really not an issue anymore. I can't think of a situation where the throttle lag I've experienced would be dangerous/deadly. Hyperbole much? It's not like the car stalls out in the middle of traffic.

Again, hyperbole much?

Also, why are you so invested in criticizing this car that you do not own or care to purchase? Your commentary is nugatory and banal.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and @jrjunior31 was a very early adopter of the Q8.
Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Sorry but that simply doesn’t rise to the level of either lemon or litigation! Personal opinion of someone who doesn’t even own or drive one is not something any attorney or regulatory agency would even consider.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue