Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can please complain to service on your next visit and show them the problem. Those are the only complaints that get logged and escalated. They believe the service departments and think we the customers don’t know what we are talking about.

Thanks
Originally Posted by sleeeepguy
We have had our Q8 since December and cannot stand the "lag" . Looking for APR to do a new tune for the vehicle that would hopefully eliminate this. There is abviously an mpg issue that Audi doesn't want to get close to again.

Wish I could buy the Euro SQ8 Tdi - I'd buy 2 today!
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I can end this argument. Turbo Lag confirmed by Audi. Not saying I have it, I literally just got home from buying mine. But I spent an hour with the technologist and he literally mentioned the turbo lag and that putting it in sports mode will eliminate that.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
jmk1 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Enjoy your new Q8. I beg to differ on the technologist’s explanation.

Its not turbo lag I believe it to be a purposeful transmission program designed to boost MPG. Not sure how the 48 volt hybrid system factors in.

Originally Posted by syarbrou
OK, I can end this argument. Turbo Lag confirmed by Audi. Not saying I have it, I literally just got home from buying mine. But I spent an hour with the technologist and he literally mentioned the turbo lag and that putting it in sports mode will eliminate that.

Steve

Last edited by Jsf721; 07-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure how to drive this thing. My Infiniti took off immediately off the line. Felt like a V8 but wasn't. This seems to have a slow start and then about 20 miles per hour seems to pick up the pace. Every time I go from a stopped position feel like flooring it. But I calmly let it speed up at it's own pace and watch the Prius' go around me.

Not sure it's what everyone is complaining about, most seem to be when going to make a turn, you slow down and then hit the gas into the turn and it doesn't move. Mine just seems to be lacking off the line.

Steve
Old 07-27-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Ok there is a lot of wrong information in this thread. (unsurprisingly). I'm not going to get into the debate of whether or not the lag is going to get someone killed, but just thought I'd present some facts that cannot be disputed by anyone here as they are just that. - facts.

While there is turbo lag on this car, it is, for all intents and purposes, non existent. Allow me to explain.

1) The torque curve from the EA839 is pretty flat as is, and max torque comes in at an incredibly low RPM.
2) The BSG produces up to 44lb/ft of thrust for up to 5 seconds, and the main 'power band' it works is at the lower end while the turbo is spooling.

I have personally confirmed #2 in well over 30 different tests in a variety of weather using OBD11 by watching the motor discharging the 48V battery by way of current readings. (both looking at duration and amount)

Now, that said, if you're flooring it, maybe the lag is more apparent because well, 44lb/ft is well, 44, not 400.

I do believe that the 'lag' everyone is talking about here has nothing to do with the turbocharger or the BSG, but with the way the transmission operates when the vehicle is about to approach a stop. Namely - the transmission secretly disconnects to neutral, which is why if you say decelerate from 10mph to 0mph slowly, and then give it some gas, you get a jerk. It's annoying but I've learned to adapt my driving accordingly so I don't see this anymore.

That said, the issue is made worse by the SS system, as not only does the transmission need to engage a gear again, but you also need to wait for the engine to fire up again, the exhaust gases to spin up the turbo, etc which should be mitigated by the BSG anyways, but we're talking tenths of a second here.

For the owners on here, I am not trying to take away from your feeling that this is a big issue, and for those of you who aren't owners I have no idea why there is participation, but as a D5 owner I will state this. I drive with the SS off. I don't notice what you guys are going on about at all

That said, the D5/Q8 is at P0 hybridization (The use of a DC DC generator, 48V battery, BSG, etc). It only gets "worse" from here. All VAG cars are soon becoming P0, with the Q7 next btw, and a bunch of VW sedans are getting it. Next is P1, and Mercedes is right around the corner from releasing theirs.

If there is one collective enemy we all should be hating it would be the environmentalists, not each other...

For those of you driving in sport mode, just know that you're contributing to a faster acceleration of wear for your mild hybrid battery. Personally, I leave things in comfort and press the stupid start/stop button when starting the car.

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-27-2019 at 11:57 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by angrypengu:
aechazu (07-27-2019), Chiclet11 (07-27-2019), jmk1 (07-27-2019), LeicaNut (07-27-2019), PennState08 (10-29-2019), rbreeze (08-14-2019), TulsaTime (08-09-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Well thank God you cleared things up by saying the lag is non existent. The other 240 posts but be a bunch of owners just overreacting.
Alphatero (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Well thank God you cleared things up by saying the lag is non existent. The other 240 posts but be a bunch of owners just overreacting.
Actually if you reread my post slowly I attribute the so called lag to a transmission related issue as opposed to the turbo being the culprit as many have suggested.

Read twice, post once. If one is going to complain to Audi then one needs to be careful with what the root cause is. Otherwise your collective effort is in vain.

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-27-2019 at 06:22 PM.
LeicaNut (07-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually think you may be most correct in your analysis of the problem. I did not have the advantage of the obd 11 to dive deeper. My findings were from driving and I blamed the transmission program.

I even stated I was not sure how the mild hybrid system effecting the issue.

So as a non owner why am I here ? It’s 2 fold. I wanted to be an owner and through my research discovered the problem and then this place. I waited months hoping for a fix but didn’t even get an admission of a problem from Audi. So if it’s fixed I would put it back into future consideration. And second I wanted anyone doing research to see and understand the problem before they got stuck. I would be a pissed off owner if I had missed this on a short test drive.

I loved the Q8 looks, size, layout and tech. But cannot and will not accept a half baked product that I specd for 84k.

I have since found a vehicle (BMW) that works for me. No lag even without disabling the start stop. And yes I either drive in sport mode or have to turn *** off after each start. But if my wife or kids drive it I’m not concerned for their safety if they do not disable it.

If the OP is correct that this is where Audi and MB are headed. It will be without me. I have to believe this is a big enough issue that they will have to address in some way. I hope they do it before someone gets hurt.

Id go full electric before I’d settle with this issue.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

I
Originally Posted by angrypengu
Ok there is a lot of wrong information in this thread. (unsurprisingly). I'm not going to get into the debate of whether or not the lag is going to get someone killed, but just thought I'd present some facts that cannot be disputed by anyone here as they are just that. - facts.

While there is turbo lag on this car, it is, for all intents and purposes, non existent. Allow me to explain.

1) The torque curve from the EA839 is pretty flat as is, and max torque comes in at an incredibly low RPM.
2) The BSG produces up to 44lb/ft of thrust for up to 5 seconds, and the main 'power band' it works is at the lower end while the turbo is spooling.

I have personally confirmed #2 in well over 30 different tests in a variety of weather using OBD11 by watching the motor discharging the 48V battery by way of current readings. (both looking at duration and amount)

Now, that said, if you're flooring it, maybe the lag is more apparent because well, 44lb/ft is well, 44, not 400.

I do believe that the 'lag' everyone is talking about here has nothing to do with the turbocharger or the BSG, but with the way the transmission operates when the vehicle is about to approach a stop. Namely - the transmission secretly disconnects to neutral, which is why if you say decelerate from 10mph to 0mph slowly, and then give it some gas, you get a jerk. It's annoying but I've learned to adapt my driving accordingly so I don't see this anymore.

That said, the issue is made worse by the SS system, as not only does the transmission need to engage a gear again, but you also need to wait for the engine to fire up again, the exhaust gases to spin up the turbo, etc which should be mitigated by the BSG anyways, but we're talking tenths of a second here.

For the owners on here, I am not trying to take away from your feeling that this is a big issue, and for those of you who aren't owners I have no idea why there is participation, but as a D5 owner I will state this. I drive with the SS off. I don't notice what you guys are going on about at all

That said, the D5/Q8 is at P0 hybridization (The use of a DC DC generator, 48V battery, BSG, etc). It only gets "worse" from here. All VAG cars are soon becoming P0, with the Q7 next btw, and a bunch of VW sedans are getting it. Next is P1, and Mercedes is right around the corner from releasing theirs.

If there is one collective enemy we all should be hating it would be the environmentalists, not each other...

For those of you driving in sport mode, just know that you're contributing to a faster acceleration of wear for your mild hybrid battery. Personally, I leave things in comfort and press the stupid start/stop button when starting the car.

Last edited by Jsf721; 07-28-2019 at 03:16 AM.
angrypengu (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Your preoccupation with the unimportant hybrid battery is sad

And if you are trying to make me feel guilty or stupid for driving in sport, well it's not gonna work

Driving in sport solves ALL, I repeat, ALL my lag/delay/hesitation etc etc problems.

But whatever makes you happy
Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alphatero
Your preoccupation with the unimportant hybrid battery is sad

And if you are trying to make me feel guilty or stupid for driving in sport, well it's not gonna work

Driving in sport solves ALL, I repeat, ALL my lag/delay/hesitation etc etc problems.

But whatever makes you happy
Your preoccupation with trying to take swipes at me is what is truly sad.

I made a statement about accelerated wear with the mild hybrid battery (which so happens to cost $3800 wholesale and is not covered by warranty (akin to lightbulbs, they are considered a 'wear' item -at least here in Canada)) , and passed no judgement. If you care, then you now know. If you don't care, then it doesn't affect you and like a television, you can change channels if the topic doesn't interest you.

(as opposed to yelling at the TV).

But hey, whatever makes you happy, indeed.

Last edited by angrypengu; 07-28-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue