Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following. 2019 A7 owner here and I am noticing the same issues with my vehicle.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

As to the question or issue of the characteristics of “dynamic mode”, here are direct quotes from both my 2013 A8L manual and the 2019 Q8 manual:

2013 A8L: The S selector lever position engages automatically when you select the dynamic mode in Audi drive select. (Page 115]
2019 Q8: -S(Sport): sporty driving mode

If you select the Dynamic mode in Audi drive select*, the ‘S” driving program will be activated. When the ignition is switched off, the driving pro-
gram may be reset to “D”.
To switch between the current driving program and “S”, push the selector lever toward the rear. (Page 95)

Looks to me that nothing has changed between 2013 and 2019 nor is the Q8 any different than the A8L and that if the Dynamic mode has been selected, the transmission and engine characteristics of the “S” sporty driving mode are indeed engaged. I see no references in the Q8 manual concerning the impact on stop/start by using the S mode but I am sure you owners have read that somewhere. I am just happy that turning off s/s and leaving it off is possible on my A8L!
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigHat
I have embarrassed myself by making declarative statements based on conclusions reached by reading the Q8's less than ideal manual, so I have greatly reduced my posts. I'm having a problem locating it in this thread, but an experienced owner did post a great assessment here. I have nothing to add regarding the A8. I have left my car in Dynamic mode and when I start the vehicle I depress the shift level again to move from the default Drive mode to Sport. It matters not what drive select mode you are in when you start the car.. Others have stated that for emissions reasons the car always starts in Drive.

On page 110 of the US Q8 manual is the Audi Drive Select section that may be helpful. The modes for the Q8 are: offroad; allroad; comfort; auto; dynamic and individual. Under dynamic it states that "sport" is selected. But is it? Here is a picture of the car in Dynamic mode, with "drive" selected and the auto stop/start enabled. I am TRYING to be helpful, but may just be adding confusion. If so, forgive me.

PS. One additional point to make. The only discernible change in the performance of the vehicle for me is the change from Drive to Sport in the transmission. The min revs stay higher, etc. Not to say you are, but I find many posts that look at sport as an Audi Drive Select mode and it is not.

What happens when you shift to “S” while in Dynamic mode?
Old 07-28-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

While in Dynamic and Drive, when you shift to Sport the idle revs jump to about 800 rpm or so. Shift points also adjusted up. The car responds faster to throttle inputs. I like the car that way for around-town use. I'd love to see a verifiable statement that the car can't go into auto start/stop while in the Dynamic / Sport combo, but all I have never seen as a means to disable that system is via the console switch. That said, I have never had it auto stop while in that mode.

Last edited by BigHat; 07-28-2019 at 03:21 PM.
BigBoy11 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

While in Dynamic and Drive, when you shift to Sport the idle revs jump to about 800 rpm or so. The car responds faster to throttle inputs. I like the car that way for around-town use. I'd love to see a verifiable statement that the car can't go into auto start/stop in the Dynamic / Sport combo, but all I have ever seen as a means to disable it is via the console switch. That said, I have never had it auto stop in that mode.
OH!

I think I found out why there is the belief that in Comfort + Sport the transmission behaves differently than in Dynamic and Sport (maybe).

If you go to Dynamic, the revs will jump to about 800rpm right away. (IIRC)

If you go from Comfort Drive to Comfort Sport (say at idle), the RPM remains at where it was in the Drive/comfort setting, UNTIL you either accelerate 1x OR you accelerate a little bit while remaining in place and then let go of the accelerator pedal. It doesn't auto rise the RPM @ idle until you do that which may be the cause of some of you to believe the two modes of Sport (between Comfort/Dynamic) are different.
BigBoy11 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, just when I think I have checked all possible permutations and combinations, I have a couple To Do tests tomorrow. As you can see from the picture above, being in Dynamic does not preclude being in Drive too. So the test now will be to start the car in "Comfort" or "Auto" Audi Drive select mode and then switch to Dynamic and see if the car automatically changes to Sport and/or if the Auto Start/Stop enable light extinguishes. Will share.

Edit: I will also assess being in Comfort /Drive and selecting Sport and thus now in a Comfort / Sport configuration. I'm betting the idles revs increase just like they do when going into Sport while in Dynamic.

Last edited by BigHat; 07-28-2019 at 03:40 PM.
BigBoy11 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a similar experience in an RS 5 recently - went to pull onto a road, and when I noticed a car coming, gave it MORE throttle, which resulted in NOTHING. The car didn't move at all, or at least it felt that way. I ended up with it all the way to the floor and the car finally decided to go... wasn't happy, and immediately thought of this thread..
Old 07-28-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Edit: I will also assess being in Comfort /Drive and selecting Sport and thus now in a Comfort / Sport configuration. I'm betting the idles revs increase just like they do when going into Sport while in Dynamic.
If you do this it may or may not do that immediately. Just accelerate lightly if you're in park and once the revs comes back down to idle you'll be at a higher idle, like if you were in Dynamic and Sport and it'll remain like this until you leave the requisite drive mode.
BigBoy11 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, just when I think I have checked all possible permutations and combinations, I have a couple To Do tests tomorrow. As you can see from the picture above, being in Dynamic does not preclude being in Drive too. So the test now will be to start the car in "Comfort" or "Auto" Audi Drive select mode and then switch to Dynamic and see if the car automatically changes to Sport and/or if the Auto Start/Stop enable light extinguishes. Will share.

I am looking forward to hearing the results. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I realize that this information is a bit of a digression from the underlying problem, but since mitigating behaviors to lessen the issue has become a topic I'll share some observations after the latest discussions. Again, I'm a sample size of one and these "tests" weren't scientific, but here goes:

1. The car will always start in "D" and I suspect it is for emissions purposes. So if left in "Dynamic and Sport" when the car is turned off, it will resume on the next start-up in "Dynamic and Drive." Being in "Dynamic" does not automatically mean Sport has to be selected. So I conclude that only proactively selecting "Dynamic" after starting will "Sport" mode also be enabled.
2. If stopped while in "Comfort and Drive" with the auto s/s engaged, selecting "Dynamic" alone will restart the car. I have been unable to activate auto s/s in any scenario with "Sport" selected, but as the picture above shows it will engage in "Drive and Dynamic." I have yet to see anything in the manual that addresses that. If you can point me to something I would appreciate it.
4. While I had seen a jump in the revs before when switching to "Sport" in the past, I wasn't positive about the conditions upon which it occurred, though it has happened to me. Based on angrypengu's question I reassessed that conclusion. Again, I guess in at least one driving state it may be true, but I observed less change in idle revs when switching between "Drive" and "Sport" than I thought would be the case. I did not witness any increase in idle rpm when starting in "Drive" and switching to "Sport." I also saw no indication that driving slowly or quickly into the higher portion of the rev band, then stopping noticeably changed the idle point, be it from changes from "Drive to Sport" or "Sport to Drive" to include restarting the car in different modes to see if that mattered. In Park, reving it after changes drive modes didn't change a thing for me. I will make a guess here. If the "Drive" mode has resulted in an earlier upshift based on the speed and gear of the vehicle, selected a mode that may shift the car more aggressively may increase revs and downshift when selecting "Sport," thus raising engine RPM.

Again, just one quick assessment.

Last edited by BigHat; 07-31-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typo
BigBoy11 (07-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue