Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my Q8 in for a windshield replacement and was given an A8 loaner. For the limited miles I have put in the A8, there has been no similar lag event. I have had the car for a week. Have only put it in sport mode to compare peppiness between my Q8 and this A8. The A8 has not lagged at all. The loaner has almost 10k miles as my Q8 has 11k miles. This has been a confounding issue as the A6, A7, A8 and Q8 has the same drivetrain. But the Q8 is the only one where serious posts have been put up here about the lag. The Q8 and A8 are programmed differently in my view.

As for acknowledgement of the lag....I have yet to speak with a Service Rep, Sales Rep, GM or AoA rep who will acknowledge the issue. I suggest your sales rep is being disingenuous.....go ask the Service reps.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately l didn't ask for a name, but it was a woman and I called a week or two ago. She said they were working on a fix. I will call back when I have a few minutes. I told her that you guys have me spooked and that it sounds like this could be a significant safety issue!
The following users liked this post:
xray3d3 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in the same boat. Test drove the car and loved it. Something felt funny, it was throttle lag and sales person told me this one is not prepped yet. I'll get the owners.

Jumped inside the owners and same thing happened., (Throttle lag). Salesman said really? I let him drive and he said, I have never driven one ! He was so shocked we went into service and sat with the service manager. He was WELL AWARE of the issue and said he could not log my complaint since I was not an OWNER (Had no VIN) I said use the owners., From there I called Audi of America where I was told working as designed, I should go to another dealer and drive a different car because there is no issue with these Q8 cars. I did and had the same experience. I called back and reported a case, listing the service managers name and salesman's name who verified the issue. Months later I was told my case was escalated, I had already purchased a different vehicle since my existing lease was up and I could not wait, plus this board which I continue to monitor for a Throttle lag fix started to accumulate more issues than I felt comfortable being exposed to.

To the existing owners, if you feel the problem-push Audi for a fix, this Throttle Lag can cause a dangerous situation. When you call for acceleration that you reasonable expect and its not there, you can be put into a seriously dangerous situation. (Think Making a left with oncoming traffic). If you are a slow, very cautious and methodical driver you may notice less of this issue but the one time you make a bad judgment call and need to accelerator to save you it wont be there. Also if you wife or kids drive the car and they are used to a certain level of go from the gas petal, this delay can be tragic. Not to mention if there is no fix, the resale on these will be hurt horribly.

Good Luck to us.

Originally Posted by OldSchool24
Unfortunately l didn't ask for a name, but it was a woman and I called a week or two ago. She said they were working on a fix. I will call back when I have a few minutes. I told her that you guys have me spooked and that it sounds like this could be a significant safety issue!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grssypond
I have my Q8 in for a windshield replacement and was given an A8 loaner. For the limited miles I have put in the A8, there has been no similar lag event. I have had the car for a week. Have only put it in sport mode to compare peppiness between my Q8 and this A8. The A8 has not lagged at all. The loaner has almost 10k miles as my Q8 has 11k miles. This has been a confounding issue as the A6, A7, A8 and Q8 has the same drivetrain. But the Q8 is the only one where serious posts have been put up here about the lag. The Q8 and A8 are programmed differently in my view.

As for acknowledgement of the lag....I have yet to speak with a Service Rep, Sales Rep, GM or AoA rep who will acknowledge the issue. I suggest your sales rep is being disingenuous.....go ask the Service reps.
^ Actually, for clarity, note that the 2019 A6, A7, A8 and Q8 do not all have the same drivetrain. The A6 [if/when equipped with the optional 3.0-liter 6-cyl engine] comes with the 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch auto transmission and quattro with ultra technology all-wheel drive. All A7s come equipped with the 3.0-liter 6-cyl engine and the 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch auto transmission and quattro with ultra technology all-wheel drive. The A8 and the Q8 are both equipped with the 3.0-liter 6 cyl engine and both come with the 8-speed Tiptronic auto transmission with quattro all-wheel drive (no "ultra" technology on board). The 2019 A6 (when equipped with the 3.0-liter 6 cyl engine) as well as the A7, A8 and Q8 all come with the 48-volt Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) technology with recuperation.

FYI for all.. I have on several occasions experienced "throttle lag" (or more precisely "acceleration lag") on my 2018 Q5 at the moment when I suddenly wanted/needed immediate 'go-power' after a coast-down from roughly 70 km/h to 20 km/h. The engine will rev, but the transmission seems to be 'AWOL'. It's as if the transmission has covertly placed itself in pseudo "neutral" (as forum member 'angrypengu' has alluded to). The lag lasts about 2-3 seconds, but certainly "seems" longer than that when it happens. Most of the lag episodes on my vehicle have occurred with the transmission operating in "D" mode, although it has occurred on at least one occasion with the transmission in "S" mode (albeit to a less severe degree). It hasn't happened for quite a while, although I now drive my Q5 almost exclusively in 'S' mode. As an aside I permanently disabled the auto engine stop-start on my '18 Q5 very early on using my OBDeleven (i.e. I made a small 'adaptation' change to the climate control system [control unit 08 - Air Conditioning], which effectively throws out stop-start on certain Audi models).

In my opinion the 'after coast down' acceleration lag issue on late model Audis is primarily attributable to the transmission misbehaving. The likely culprit is (screwy) transmission control software, whose prime directive evidently is managing/maximizing fuel economy. Driving one's Audi in 'S' mode seems to minimize these acceleration lag occurrences, but there are trade-offs, such as worsened fuel economy and increased 'roughness' in transmission operation/behavior.
I don't believe Audi will ever retroactively address this lag issue on vehicles already built - they'll never admit there's a problem - but they may make a quiet running change (software change) on vehicles in production if negative opinion genuinely begins to work against them and overtly affects sales. We'll see.

Cheers Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 08-15-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not that they are missing me but they lost a Daytona gray prestige I had built out at 84k to this exact issue which was a deal breaker for me. I was shocked at the lack of urgency and concern Audi showed in allowing me to make a complaint.

i had to jump through all kinds if hoops and visit other dealers and get sales and service people’s names to confirm they saw what I felt.

My biggest wish is that I could drop a fully functioning Q8 body on a V8 5 series everything else.

Audi I’m sticking around hoping you resolve this I have another car coming off lease 7/2020 and if you clear up the open issues on this forum you have a shot st my business. Just saying.

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Actually, for clarity, note that the 2019 A6, A7, A8 and Q8 do not all have the same drivetrain. The A6 [if/when equipped with the optional 3.0-liter 6-cyl engine] comes with the 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch auto transmission and quattro with ultra technology all-wheel drive. All A7s come equipped with the 3.0-liter 6-cyl engine and the 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch auto transmission and quattro with ultra technology all-wheel drive. The A8 and the Q8 are both equipped with the 3.0-liter 6 cyl engine and both come with the 8-speed Tiptronic auto transmission with quattro all-wheel drive (no "ultra" technology on board). The 2019 A6 (when equipped with the 3.0-liter 6 cyl engine) as well as the A7, A8 and Q8 all come with the 48-volt Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) technology with recuperation.

FYI for all.. I have on several occasions experienced "throttle lag" (or more precisely "acceleration lag") on my 2018 Q5 at the moment when I suddenly wanted/needed immediate 'go-power' after a coast-down from roughly 70 km/h to 20 km/h. The engine will rev, but the transmission seems to be 'AWOL'. It's as if the transmission has covertly placed itself in pseudo "neutral" (as forum member 'angrypengu' has alluded to). The lag lasts about 2-3 seconds, but certainly "seems" longer than that when it happens. Most of the lag episodes on my vehicle have occurred with the transmission operating in "D" mode, although it has occurred on at least one occasion with the transmission in "S" mode (albeit to a less severe degree). It hasn't happened for quite a while, although I now drive my Q5 almost exclusively in 'S' mode. As an aside I permanently disabled the auto engine stop-start on my '18 Q5 very early on using my OBDeleven (i.e. I made a small 'adaptation' change to the climate control system [control unit 08 - Air Conditioning], which effectively throws out stop-start on certain Audi models).

In my opinion the 'after coast down' acceleration lag issue on late model Audis is primarily attributable to the transmission misbehaving. The likely culprit is (screwy) transmission control software, whose prime directive evidently is managing/maximizing fuel economy. Driving one's Audi in 'S' mode seems to minimize these acceleration lag occurrences, but there are trade-offs, such as worsened fuel economy and increased 'roughness' in transmission operation/behavior.
I don't believe Audi will ever retroactively address this lag issue on vehicles already built - they'll never admit there's a problem - but they may make a quiet running change (software change) on vehicles in production if negative opinion genuinely begins to work against them and overtly affects sales. We'll see.

Cheers Richard
OldSchool24 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Any idea what % of owners have this issue, just got our Q8 Prestige last weekend and so far have not seen or felt this issue? Do those effected get it from day one or does it develop over time/miles?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove 6 different Q8's before I did not buy it and it was present in all of them. I suspect the correct factors did not align where you noticed it yet. start car and drive. Go up to 50 MPS and coast down like you are approaching a red light, In the low 20 mph go back to the gas. It wont respond for 2-3 seconds. a lot if you are making a left hand turn into traffic and just annoying your not.

If you don't have the issue please post build date and software version. You may have won the lottery !

Originally Posted by AndyBBB
Any idea what % of owners have this issue, just got our Q8 Prestige last weekend and so far have not seen or felt this issue? Do those effected get it from day one or does it develop over time/miles?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

As I am researching and evaluating several German vehicles to replace my Porsche Boxster, I have been following this discussion closely. The Q8, X5, Cayenne and 450GLE in their various forms are at the top of my list and I can tell y’all that every one of them has similar complaints on their various forums. This isn’t just an Audi problem and certainly not just the Q8. Apparently the emphasis on CAFE standards overrides all other considerations so auto s/s systems, transmission programming, throttle controls, etc. are being thrust upon us with little apparent regard for safety or driving pleasure. If in doubt, just enter “(brand) throttle lag problems” in your search engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by BigBoy11:
Jsf721 (08-16-2019), OldSchool24 (08-17-2019), rbreeze (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was right there with you and chose the BMW 5 Series M Sport. I went with the sedan.

The benz was was very nice by a bit to refined for me. I like to hear the exhaust. And the AMG was not out yet.

I passed on the porsche because after added equal equipment it was too high.

I wish you much in what ever you decide is right for you. Just make sure you see all the other smaller issues listed on this board. I think the new Audi Q8 and its tech systems are just not ready for prime time in my humble opinion. I personally cannot believe this vehicle got released in its current form.

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
As I am researching and evaluating several German vehicles to replace my Porsche Boxster, I have been following this discussion closely. The Q8, X5, Cayenne and 450GLE in their various forms are at the top of my list and I can tell y’all that every one of them has similar complaints on their various forums. This isn’t just an Audi problem and certainly not just the Q8. Apparently the emphasis on CAFE standards overrides all other considerations so auto s/s systems, transmission programming, throttle controls, etc. are being thrust upon us with little apparent regard for safety or driving pleasure. If in doubt, just enter “(brand) throttle lag problems” in your search engine.
BigBoy11 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
I was right there with you and chose the BMW 5 Series M Sport. I went with the sedan.

The benz was was very nice by a bit to refined for me. I like to hear the exhaust. And the AMG was not out yet.

I passed on the porsche because after added equal equipment it was too high.

I wish you much in what ever you decide is right for you. Just make sure you see all the other smaller issues listed on this board. I think the new Audi Q8 and its tech systems are just not ready for prime time in my humble opinion. I personally cannot believe this vehicle got released in its current form.
I truly mean no disrespect or insult to you, but.....
Do you ever get tired of repeating the same lines about how much you dislike the Q8. I for one are tired of reading about it. When you are not bashing the vehicle you are stating how much of a hit it will take for current owners. Me personally who did actually did buy one is tired of hearing about it. You absolutely have a right to your opinion, but as an owner it is not appreciated. It seems to be "your" thread.
Good luck with your choice vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by lungs414:
LeicaNut (08-18-2019), SoundsoftheSuburbs (08-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue