Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All owners and people who want to buy a Q8 should definitely open a case and push Audi for a fix. (As well as those who share the road with these cars)

I too was a potential buyer and had a very hared time opening a case. I ended up getting one opened in April of this year after driving and finding an issue. Calling Audi an being sent to drive a different car, and getting the dealer service manager involved. Evidentially Audi does not give as much credibility the customers commentary as much as the dealer service personnel.

I have not heard back since.

I told them I wont buy the car until there is a fix I see on a test drive. They did not seem overly concerned although I did get a thank you

Originally Posted by OldSchool24
What's fishy about it? Is it that surprising that an Audi rep would confirm Audi is aware of the issue when it's all over the internet? Wouldn't the opposite be fishy?

Obviously Audi is aware of the issue. There's no question about it. But do I think it's going to be resolved in time for the release of 2020 model as the rep from earlier this week told me? Nope.

But I would continue to encourage owners AND, more importantly, potential owners to express their concerns with Audi. Presumably more resources will be devoted to a fix if there is established a clear connection between this issue and a dip in sales.
The following users liked this post:
OldSchool24 (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
So when you started to accelerate, the car was in 3rd gear and therefore not much power. I suspect the transmission is mapped to get as much economy as possible to help the corporate MPG average. Try pulling back on the gear selector to put into S mode and do the same sort of rolling stop and see what gear you are in.
It dropped to 2.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:34 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
All owners and people who want to buy a Q8 should definitely open a case and push Audi for a fix. (As well as those who share the road with these cars)

I too was a potential buyer and had a very hared time opening a case. I ended up getting one opened in April of this year after driving and finding an issue. Calling Audi an being sent to drive a different car, and getting the dealer service manager involved. Evidentially Audi does not give as much credibility the customers commentary as much as the dealer service personnel.

I have not heard back since.

I told them I wont buy the car until there is a fix I see on a test drive. They did not seem overly concerned although I did get a thank you
Oh, you're back! Thank you for saving us from our dangerous cars!
The following 3 users liked this post by SoundsoftheSuburbs:
angrypengu (09-05-2019), oleaudi (08-30-2019), TulsaTime (09-01-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Not at all, I don't mind helping others. But its mostly selfish, I want one too

And of course, I don't want anyone to get hurt.

BTW-can someone tell me how to stop emails from generating to my email each time there is a new post to thus thread-Thanks

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
Oh, you're back! Thank you for saving us from our dangerous cars!

Last edited by Jsf721; 08-30-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

That is an improvement, and can I assume the acceleration was much better? I'm guessing it will not drop down to 1st until you come to a complete stop or use paddles to force it into 1st.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yea there was no lag but i drive that same street every morning for work and only maybe twice ever have i noticed anything
Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lag throttle issue q8

Originally Posted by KSpider 13
Hey guys, I have about 2700 miles on my Q8 now. LOVE the car (pictured below!) however, im having a serious issue. I would like to know if any other owners are experiencing this.

When coming to a rolling or almost complete stop , auto start/stop will kick in, then if I go to turn/accelerate there is a up to 3 or 4 second lag between pressing on the accelerator and ANY throttle response. It is scary at times when pulling onto a street and the car will not respond after a few seconds. I can put pedal to the metal and nothing happens.

As soon as the break is released the engine comes on, that isn't the issue.

The dealer just called me and was able to replicate the issue on my car, AND a brand new Q8 they had on the lot. This tells me it is an issue with the ECU/system in probably all the new Q8/A8/A7s that apparently all have a completely new Stop/Start system; Not just my car.

It is a bit scary and if they don't have a fix for it, it'd be nice for others with this issue to contact their dealer etc. and make corporate realize its an issue.... or you guys can just tell me you haven't had this issue and I am alone on this : )

I have exactly same issue with my q8. Only just started with lag throttle....I'm at about 3k miles. Happens mainly at a roundabout...slowing down butvready to pull away and theres nothing. Like young.say scary when a cars coming towards you.... I do not use automatic start stop so dont think its connected to that. Like you say seems to be an ecu issue. Taking mine to dealer this week. Will.submit this forum too. Hopefully it can be fixed. Agree with another user that having it in sport mode helps
karen
Old 09-01-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same thing with my 2018 Q7 and caused an accident!

Originally Posted by KSpider 13
Hey guys, I have about 2700 miles on my Q8 now. LOVE the car (pictured below!) however, im having a serious issue. I would like to know if any other owners are experiencing this.

When coming to a rolling or almost complete stop , auto start/stop will kick in, then if I go to turn/accelerate there is a up to 3 or 4 second lag between pressing on the accelerator and ANY throttle response. It is scary at times when pulling onto a street and the car will not respond after a few seconds. I can put pedal to the metal and nothing happens.

As soon as the break is released the engine comes on, that isn't the issue.

The dealer just called me and was able to replicate the issue on my car, AND a brand new Q8 they had on the lot. This tells me it is an issue with the ECU/system in probably all the new Q8/A8/A7s that apparently all have a completely new Stop/Start system; Not just my car.

It is a bit scary and if they don't have a fix for it, it'd be nice for others with this issue to contact their dealer etc. and make corporate realize its an issue.... or you guys can just tell me you haven't had this issue and I am alone on this : )

Wow! I JUST had this happen to me today when I was pulling up behind a car to park. I decided to pull up a bit more, there was a lag, the car lurched forward and I rammed into the back end of the car ahead of me that was parked. Scared the hell out of me and my passengers and damaged both cars. This isn’t the first time I have experienced this throttle lag, and it has bothered me in the past, but now I’ve got two vehicles to fix over it. I believe it could be super dangerous when turning left (us driving) at an intersection, or hitting the gas to avoid some sort of other collision. Would love some input on how to fix this........
Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On my Jaguar forum, whenever someone would, as their first post, describe some sort of catastrophe incident that occurred with the car relating to a "hot," much discussed issue with the car, it was presumed that the post wasn't legit. And there were plenty of them - employees of competing brands, bots, etc.
The following users liked this post:
RtzQ8 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This happened, I’m not a bot and I love my Q!

Originally Posted by OldSchool24
On my Jaguar forum, whenever someone would, as their first post, describe some sort of catastrophe incident that occurred with the car relating to a "hot," much discussed issue with the car, it was presumed that the post wasn't legit. And there were plenty of them - employees of competing brands, bots, etc.
Thanks for the info OldSchool24. I’m not a bot and I dearly love my Q! The accident was certainly not catastrophic. Could have been under other circumstances, but was not in mine. No one was hurt. Both cars drove after accident, but I must say I was getting some strange computer things happening today! (Blind spot object warnings with nothing in blind spot, low tire pressure when tires were fine). Hoping it’s not seriously damaged while looking minimally damaged! I must admit, driving home today, left hand turns and pulling into traffic from a stop or near stop made me nervous......
The following 2 users liked this post by LindaSDeyarmond:
galingas (10-09-2019), mike99 (09-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue