Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Any ideas at which slot in the build sequence Audi may have made some changes to the way the car behaves (last 6 digits of the VIN show what number in the build sequence the car was assembled)? Looking at buying a new Q8 Prestige later this year. The local Audi dealers in Houston have inventory as old as "28000" and as new as "46000" on the lot. May make sense to go for the higher numbers but the lower ones were sitting ont he lot longer and may yield biggest discount against MSRP. What do you think?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Could the Cayenne ECU/TCU program be uploaded into the Q8? Thats seems to be the better setup and the engine/transmission are identical. Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive the one your getting. I drive many. Like 8-10 different Q8s and they all had the issue. I gave up.

I sure hope that this is solved. It’s a beauty vehicle.

wife Laura car is up in July and if this gets fixed it may get back on the list. .

Originally Posted by koepkesd
Any ideas at which slot in the build sequence Audi may have made some changes to the way the car behaves (last 6 digits of the VIN show what number in the build sequence the car was assembled)? Looking at buying a new Q8 Prestige later this year. The local Audi dealers in Houston have inventory as old as "28000" and as new as "46000" on the lot. May make sense to go for the higher numbers but the lower ones were sitting ont he lot longer and may yield biggest discount against MSRP. What do you think?
Old 10-05-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a new Audi A6 and I experienced the same thing regarding throttle response. Something simple like turning off the start/stop fixed this problem at traffic lights and stop signs. I really appreciate how everyone comes together to solve problems on this forum.

Now when my vehicle is decelerating, I may press the accelerator pedal and the engine rpm goes up with no instant response from the transmission; the tranny is at a delay for about 2-seconds. So the vehicle continues to decelerate until the tranny kicks-in. I have also seen this same problem on this thread with the Q8. Was there a fix for this?

Audi is weird because my wife's 2018 Q5 has no issues whatsoever; everything is near perfect.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:12 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by "BigAl"
I purchased a new Audi A6 and I experienced the same thing regarding throttle response. Something simple like turning off the start/stop fixed this problem at traffic lights and stop signs. I really appreciate how everyone comes together to solve problems on this forum.

Now when my vehicle is decelerating, I may press the accelerator pedal and the engine rpm goes up with no instant response from the transmission; the tranny is at a delay for about 2-seconds. So the vehicle continues to decelerate until the tranny kicks-in. I have also seen this same problem on this thread with the Q8. Was there a fix for this?

Audi is weird because my wife's 2018 Q5 has no issues whatsoever; everything is near perfect.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the a6/7 use a 7 speed dual clutch transmission while the Q8 uses an 8 speed automatic. Same differences with the q5 vs sq5. Vastly different driving characteristics!
Old 10-06-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does your Q5 have the mild hybrid system? I’ve long suspected that and the associated Audi desire to increase or maximize
mileage as priority one since diesel gate as the root cause of this issue.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Does your Q5 have the mild hybrid system? I’ve long suspected that and the associated Audi desire to increase or maximize
mileage as priority one since diesel gate as the root cause of this issue.
No hybrid.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

That’s probably the difference in the performance.

i think all the mild hybrid systems are set up to max mileage at the expense of performance and that causes the throttle lag.

No hybrid.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
They have it programmed to let the car coast before coming to a stop, which works horribly in situations where you aren’t stopping completely, but rather slowing down in those ‘yield’ to oncoming traffic situations.

Coming over from the A6 board- a few folks there having this exact issue (A7 folks as well), and have come to the same conclusion. I've also filed a complaint with Audi about this. As a bonus, if you're in traffic and on even a slight incline, and you coast to a stop that shuts the engine off, not only can it be a few seconds before the engine relaunches when you hit the gas, if you coasted at a low enough speed you can actually find yourself rolling backwards into the car behind you.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a brand new 69 pate Q8 I have a serious throttle delay which I believe could cause an accident especially when trying to enter a busy junction or a round about.

I would say 2 or 3 second delay when you put your foot on accelerator.

the car seems to have a mind of its own with the gear box very random at times

I took my car to Audi today to be told there is nothing wrong with it it is the characteristic of the car and that it thinks before it reacts and that they have not heard of this before

what's going on Audi do we have to wait until there is a serious accident before you do something

disappointed new Audi driver.
The following users liked this post:
xray3d3 (10-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue