Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
just turn off auto start/stop

you don’t need to be in S
This is the simple fix for sure. I’ve been shutting mine off every day for awhile now. Never have this crazy lag regardless of which drive mode I’m in. The Auto S/S system on the Q8 is an embarrassment. Auto-Start really is the worst “feature” ever created.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrjunior31:
JT4 (11-22-2019), Neurobit (11-20-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

unfortunately not - I heard you can’t disable it even with software mods.
I tried a bunch of things on OBDeleven and could not disable it.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I tried a bunch of things on OBDeleven and could not disable it.
Anyone brave enough to try this?

https://www.kufatec.com/en/coding-di...oda-audi-40019
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
This is the simple fix for sure. I’ve been shutting mine off every day for awhile now. Never have this crazy lag regardless of which drive mode I’m in. The Auto S/S system on the Q8 is an embarrassment. Auto-Start really is the worst “feature” ever created.
The problem is really VW Group’s implementation of it

They have it programmed to let the car coast before coming to a stop, which works horribly in situations where you aren’t stopping completely, but rather slowing down in those ‘yield’ to oncoming traffic situations.

I am am wondering how to escalate this situation with Audi or even the DOT
Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is really VW Group’s implementation of it

They have it programmed to let the car coast before coming to a stop, which works horribly in situations where you aren’t stopping completely, but rather slowing down in those ‘yield’ to oncoming traffic situations.

I am am wondering how to escalate this situation with Audi or even the DOT
I thought about this the other night, and I was thinking possibly a letter, if not multiple letters from members within the forum to Audi of NA might be a good starting point. Was just a thought.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I’m not an owner yet but I was planning on leaving a deposit yesterday however I needed an extended test drive. I was given a 4-5 mile loop I drive 2x one in driver with start stop enabled and had unacceptable lag and half way through. It’s worst when in traffic and you need to punch the gas to get into change lanes. It’s required you to hit the gas before you need the car to move and I can’t live with that. Same when slowing down to a red light and when it turns green before you stop 100 percent when you get back on the gas it’s a long 2 seconds before the input from your foot translates into forward motion. I shut off the start stop manually and still felt the lag.mYbe not as bad.

In sport mode is was acceptable but the transmission is a little jerky and when I want sport mode it’s ok but not a steady diet to work around the lag on a 87k lux vehicle.

I am am so upset bc I want tbe Q8 so badly. It looks so good. Left tbe dealer and drive an X5 and it’s everythjg the Q8 could be in the performance and lack of lag department but its ugly as sin to me. Wish I could drop the Q8 body on the X5 mechanicals.

I want to buy this so I called Audi. +1 (703) 364-7000 and discussed it with the owner advocate department who said to report it to the dealer service. I don’t have a vin so I cannot do that. I called the technology question extension and they documented my call in detail and even recorded the call. They asked where I test drove the car and what color and features it had so they can get it looked over in service. They said they have no complaints regarding throttle lag at all so they are not looking for a fix. If you want this fixed you need to rally the troops. I hope we can. My lease is up in May and I need to pull the trigger soon. Going back again today to driver a different vehicle per their suggestion. I hope it works out. Otherwise I’ll be in a 540 awd. M sport saving myself 25k but I . Really wanted this Q8 it looks a great, is the right height for me to easily get in and out of. I drive 15-18k mikes a year and was looking forward to the experience. Im totally frustrated. First world problems I know.

Get cslling and complaining. I directed them to the forum and they will not act on third party reports where they can’t verify by von and follow up.

Please call. I want this fixed.

Last edited by Jsf721; 04-16-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsf721
If you want this fixed you need to rally the troops. I hope we can.
I took my Q8 in for service for this issue and a few others and my service advisor said that they had not heard of any complaints either. I forwarded a link to this thread to him to show how many people are having this issue. Hopefully Audi is aware of this now and is working on a fix.

Wednesday will be 2 weeks that they have had my car...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I have the same problem. Had it also on my 2017 Q7, but the Q8 seems a bit worse. I will try turning off the S/S system (although I like that this helps save gas and pollution) as well as trying to drive in S vs D. But I sure wish Audi would fix this. It can be scary and dangerous if there is oncoming traffic.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went to another dealer to try another Q8 as Audi or America suggested. I drove the car in comfort and had the same 2.5-3 second delay getting back into the gas from a coast down from 45 mph to the low 20 mph and getting back on the gas. I commented to the sales person and he said really. I pulled over and he got in. Drove one block following my instruction and said there is something wrong wiith this one let’s go get another Q8.

We went back and I suggested we go to service to inquire. The service manager was well aware of the issue and said all our new cars have this and sometimes it improves with miles driven as it learns. He suggested we drive the owners Q8 that had several thousand miles on it.

The owner gave the salesman the keys and when we started the vehicle it was in sport and dynamic. We drove it and the tiny lag was acceptable although I’d prefer no lag. We drove it and then put it in comfort and it is the same problem. We checked the average MPG and it was 13.9 MPG. I wonder if anyone who drives normally in sport and dynamic in mixed highest city driving can comment on their MPG.

I tried to get the service manager to make a complaint on my behalf. He said your not a customer yet. And I can I’m trying to be. He shrugged his shoulders.

I left and called audi of America explaining what I learned. And they very Nice told me this is not the way to effect change. You need to work through the dealer service deportment. The comments I leave and AoA are not conglomerated as the dealers are for customer concerns. So basically I’m unable to help us at all without a vin.

Once i I hear about other mileage in sport and dynamic I may still pull the trigger. Love the car. Not impressed with Audi’s system in place to acknowledge users complaints and safety concerns.

Good luck to everyone and try sport and dynamic to resolve the lag if it bothers you.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

AoA is not aware of any concerns regarding throttle lag.

I called and and they checked their recourses. Go thru your service department and I hope you get a fix.

Originally Posted by d2000one
I took my Q8 in for service for this issue and a few others and my service advisor said that they had not heard of any complaints either. I forwarded a link to this thread to him to show how many people are having this issue. Hopefully Audi is aware of this now and is working on a fix.

Wednesday will be 2 weeks that they have had my car...

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue