Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldChipper
There’s a thread elsewhere on here about the kick-to-open. The trick is you need to “kick” a fair distance to the left of the hitch receiver (nearly halfway to the edge of the vehicle, beyond the “bump” in the bumper valance) then take a small step back. That should work. I couldn’t get it to work either until I tried this.

I found the sweet spot on my 2020 Q8. If I kick my foot (not too fast) under the left bumper protrusion, it opens every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by soreano88:
BigBoy11 (01-10-2020), htxq8 (01-12-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same with 2020s?

Has anyone heard if the 2020 A7/Q8s have the same issues?

Last edited by CEBUSA; 01-14-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. The Q8's lag is legendary! Lots of discussion about it on BMW/Bimmer forums. I was going to order one but walked away because I experienced the problem on 2 test drives and no one was addressing it. I picked up the 19 BMW X3 M40i for now.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CEBUSA
Has anyone heard if the 2020 A7/Q8s have the same issues?
I test drove a 2020 Q8 and it had absolutely no lag.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just over 500 miles on my 2020 Q8 now and have not experienced any of the lag issues described in this thread.
The following 3 users liked this post by g8rbait:
Balaji Bhaskaran (02-06-2020), BigBoy11 (01-15-2020), Neurobit (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi
I've had a Q8 Vorsprung in Orange since last January 2019, have been all the way to the top in the UK regarding this problem, tried to make contact with production in Germany to no avail.
No one could or was prepared to help me, "we (Audi) don't make the gearboxes, there's nothing we can do" is the ultimate response.
When expressing my extreme dissatisfaction using expletives, the response was "If you don't like the car, sell it and buy something else!"
I've stuck with it and got used to it, wouldn't buy another even though I love the idea of an SQ8 that works properly, which they don't. As a matter of interest the updated Q7 has the same problem and people reported A6's with this issue years ago. You'd think they'd want to put it right to avoid the **** reviews!
Am currently investigate a transmission remap with REVO, will keep you informed!
Kev
Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by welshrabbit
Hi
I've had a Q8 Vorsprung in Orange since last January 2019, have been all the way to the top in the UK regarding this problem, tried to make contact with production in Germany to no avail.
No one could or was prepared to help me, "we (Audi) don't make the gearboxes, there's nothing we can do" is the ultimate response.
When expressing my extreme dissatisfaction using expletives, the response was "If you don't like the car, sell it and buy something else!"
I've stuck with it and got used to it, wouldn't buy another even though I love the idea of an SQ8 that works properly, which they don't. As a matter of interest the updated Q7 has the same problem and people reported A6's with this issue years ago. You'd think they'd want to put it right to avoid the **** reviews!
Am currently investigate a transmission remap with REVO, will keep you informed!
Kev
Unfortunately, to different degrees, lag with the ZF 8HP transmission is an issue across all manufacturers who have used it. Here's why they use it, at least according to Car and Driver.
Car and Driver ZF 8HP
Old 01-15-2020, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great, pity they can't all put their heads together and sort the problem out.
Audi's answer is, we never signed up to a specific or minimum time between putting your foot on the accelerator and the car moving.
Like others on this thread, the time varies for lag but the outcome is nearly always the same, it suddenly sets off as though it is trying to launch you into space!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

So if the issue is transmission, what's the deal with people claiming they don't have the issue? I'd assume all the transmissions would come from the same source vice multiple vendors for some piece parts. Are we thinking people without the problem are less aggressive drivers? Some reviewers of the current A7s/Q8s have identified the problem while others have not. Based on what I've read from others on forums and what I've also been told from Audi HQ, I'd think everyone with these models would be impacted.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

As per car.come review there is terrible lag with the new Q8 like the A6 and A7 I test drove. Nothing like the responsive feeling of my supercharger 3.0T V6 in my 2016 A7.

“[T]his is the same powertrain you’ll find in the A7, and I found it to have a similar set of problems … but worse,” Wong reported. “It makes sense: The Q8 is 672 pounds heavier, so it puts more stress on the engine. There’s a big amount of accelerator lag even with the SUV cranked up to its more dynamic driving modes and engine settings. It’s hard to decide if this was due more to the transmission or the engine itself; perhaps it’s a bit of both. The delay would happen during acceleration on highways, but it was most pronounced when accelerating quickly from a standstill. I had a close call on an unprotected left turn because the Q8 just didn’t go quickly enough when I hit the gas.”
The following users liked this post:
xray3d3 (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue