Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I have the fully load YR1 Q8 Prestige and love it. Yes, the start/stop is annoying as it is on every car. I turn it off every time - just like we do in our Panamera turbo. Not a big deal. Getting audi or the ntsb to listen about this is never going to happen! If anyone thinks otherwise then go try and report back. Lemon law also won't work because the system is not defective.. It's just annoying. Deal with it or don't buy an audi q8, A7, a6, a8 etc.
I drive a 2020 S7 and it does not have any lag issues with S/S engaged. My wife has a 2019 Q8 that exhibits this terrible issue. Our dealer has said repeatedly that the car is operating as designed.

So from our experience, it is not all Audi's with mild hybrid that experience this issue. One difference is that my S7 is a 2020, so perhaps it's been fixed???? Audi won't ever tell us I am sure.
The following users liked this post:
Neurobit (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope so. I am considering buying one, refuse to until this issue is resolved.
Thanks for the update.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Has anyone taken their q8 in for service and had the engine/transmission “remapped” to enhance the throttle response in the normal drive setting?
Old 02-17-2020, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Has anyone taken their q8 in for service and had the engine/transmission “remapped” to enhance the throttle response in the normal drive setting?
Doubt dealer would do this since according to them, it works as designed...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Took a 2019 Q8 Technik S-line (dealer demo car) for a test drive on Saturday and didn't notice any throttle/transmission lag issue whatsoever, and I tried everything to make it happen. The vehicle was put into service in June 2019 and has about 11,000 KMs on it. I noticed though that the Q8 "feels" heavy and its acceleration (0-60) is no better than my '18 Q5.
Very nice vehicle though, with very comfortable supportive seats - makes my Q5's front seats feel terrible by comparison.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

for me when the lag/delay happens when the auto start is engaged and you are coming to a stop, like a red light or traffic and then you hit the gas with out actually stopping. In my case the auto stop engages when i am still moving, usually under 10mph, so i when i hit the gas 3 second or less delay in when i actually move.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gollumis
for me when the lag/delay happens when the auto start is engaged and you are coming to a stop, like a red light or traffic and then you hit the gas with out actually stopping. In my case the auto stop engages when i am still moving, usually under 10mph, so i when i hit the gas 3 second or less delay in when i actually move.
^ Hmm.. well that never happened during my drive, but to be honest I didn't notice whether auto stop-start was engaged or disengaged (the vehicle was running when I got in). The engine never shut down during my 20 minute drive.
Given the issue you're experiencing I suggest you always disengage auto stop-start when you start the vehicle, or drive your Q8 in S mode to deactivate auto stop-start.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Took our Q8 in for it's first service in late January and told the service advisor about the lag. Went for a test drive with the advisor and was able to recreate the issue. There was an update to the Driver Assist System, see scan below. They also gave me a 2020 q8 loaner to compare. I didn't have much city driving to test, but the 2020 still seemed to have the lag with the start/stop system, just not as long as our 2019. After we got the car back, the lag is still there, albeit just not as long. They lag is easy to replicate. Go to a empty road and slow down until the engine shuts off and then immediately floor it. You will notice that it takes a good 1-2+ seconds for the engine to engage and for you to start moving. Is it enough for me to take it back to the dealer and have them tell me it is operating as designed? No. It's become standard practice to just shut of the start/stop system after turning on the ignition or to drive in sport mode.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My son borrowed our Q8 for about 10 days while his GTI was in the shop. When he picked us up, he commented about the lag, especially dangerous on left turns in busy traffic, without knowing about the issue in advance from us.
Audi, this is a real world and potentially dangerous issue. Please stop sticking your collective heads in the sand and do something BEFORE it becomes yet another black eye for the marque.

In the meantime, SOP is start the car, push the garage door button on the screen and then push the Auto Start/Stop Disable.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drskywalker

In the meantime, SOP is start the car, push the garage door button on the screen and then push the Auto Start/Stop Disable.
I used the on screen garage door feature for a couple of weeks, but opted to just place my garage remote on the visor (more "natural" process IMO).

Quick Reply: Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue