Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Intro/Auto start - major throttle lag issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Why Auto SS can't be permanently turned off. Many people have written wondering why AutoSS defaults to ON. I may be wrong, but I definitely believe this is a government thing. The government has mandated fleet gas mileage targets for automakers. Failure to make those targets results in big time penalties. The fleet MPG is based on the EPA gas mileage results. These results are based on the AutoSS being on. If the automaker allowed it to be turned off permanently or default to off, then the EPA would calculate the MPG with AutoSS in the off position and lower the overall fleet MPG significantly. Based on my years of government service this is how government agencies work. Our tax dollars at work.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

First post. I bought a 2020 Q8 in September. Ive not noticed any of the lag issues at all. Hope this means the update was put in at the factory. Build date was June.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wsmoore
Why Auto SS can't be permanently turned off. Many people have written wondering why AutoSS defaults to ON. I may be wrong, but I definitely believe this is a government thing. The government has mandated fleet gas mileage targets for automakers. Failure to make those targets results in big time penalties. The fleet MPG is based on the EPA gas mileage results. These results are based on the AutoSS being on. If the automaker allowed it to be turned off permanently or default to off, then the EPA would calculate the MPG with AutoSS in the off position and lower the overall fleet MPG significantly. Based on my years of government service this is how government agencies work. Our tax dollars at work.
That's in line with what I threw out there as the reasoning (but yours is more detailed!) a few months ago. Makes sense.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by BLNT
That's in line with what I threw out there as the reasoning (but yours is more detailed!) a few months ago. Makes sense.
Exactly. Cars must start as homologated. And they are homologated so that the MPG is as low as possible.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lag

Originally Posted by apocsync
I have had my Q8 for 12 months now. All is as predicted. For the most part, i love the vehicle. Looks good. Does everything "well" (sure can use another 100hp..but who can't). Even with the rattles and squeaks, I am still pretty happy with the car.

SADLY...its just becoming too dangerous to keep in the household. The slow, pedal, lag, rev, GO...is just too unpredictable for me. I do drive everyday with Start/Stop off, in Sport, and still every now and then I am blindsided with the 2-3 seconds of dreadful, dangerous lag. And it is already scary enough driving in New Jersey. To pull out on a left, across another lane from anything but a full and complete stop...be ready to sweat it out. For me, the issue is for the other users in the house. This wonderful, beautiful car is too dangerous for my wife or daughter to drive. Without them knowing the ins and outs and nuances of the car, EVERYTIME they use the Q8, they come back with a horror story on the lag.

Sorry, the risk is just not worth it anymore. I gave Audi 12 months (and 2 complaints) to fix it. NOTHING. NADA. I complained at my 10k service, dealer acknowledged the issue, and stated no known fix yet. In fact, maybe just mental, but i think it came back from the 10k service feeling worse. Maybe mental, maybe they reset throttle response, who knows.

Just to comment this is my 7th Audi, 4th in a row. Sadly I think I am done with it (not a threat, genuine sadness). I do suggest for the safety of you, your family, children, we try to get this acknowledged whether or not we speak with our wallets. I will take a financial loss on the Q8, but that is not the point nor complaint. I just don't want to lose someone I care about because of a dumb car (flaw). It's too big of a risk for me (and only speaking for me).

Use this link to submit a complaint (in the US), and maybe we can save an accident waiting to happen.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
i have spoken to Audi regarding the lag in the pedal and they told me this is absolutely normal and the way the car has been designed
so there wont be any update to correct it
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Has anybody installed a Pedal Box on their Q8. I have used them on BMW and Mercedes cars in the past and they help with the slow acceleration German cars seem to be built with?
Old 11-21-2020, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon900
Has anybody installed a Pedal Box on their Q8. I have used them on BMW and Mercedes cars in the past and they help with the slow acceleration German cars seem to be built with?
I have the Pedal Box from DTE. I install it in every Audi I have. Really recommendable. It definitely improves the car's response to the accelerator pedal.